Building in Irvine: Too Fast and I?m Furious

Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I don't think public transit will reduce traffic.

Has it done that for any other cities with "world class" transit systems?

Imagine them without the transit systems.

But how can we measure this? Places like NY had the transit system in place during the same time period.

I don't think we can say that public transit will have a measurable effect because traffic in those places is still bad if you want to drive.

It's the whole chicken/egg thing.

irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I don't think public transit will reduce traffic.

Has it done that for any other cities with "world class" transit systems?

Imagine them without the transit systems.

But how can we measure this? Places like NY had the transit system in place during the same time period.

I don't think we can say that public transit will have a measurable effect because traffic in those places is still bad if you want to drive.

It's the whole chicken/egg thing.

Not really

Mass transit enables for dense pack housing and leads to more service sector jobs (network effects) 

the volume traveling through mass transit in NYC >>> traveling through cars

Not saying mass transit is a solution for Irvine at this point in time given the way it has already developed  .  But I can totally see carpool-like transportation via dedicated autonomous-only lane at some point in the next 10 years. 

Sure, adding mass transit will be good for those who don't have or can afford cars, but I don't feel it will reduce traffic.

That will just enable more people to live in Irvine... and thus traffic won't go down.

Have you seen all those in-build apartmens in the IBC (Irvine Business Center)? It's crazy how many people live here now compared to before.

trains and apt high rise, no problem

JS123737348_Visual-China-Group_Light-Railway-Passes-Through-Residential-Building-In-Chongqing_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqM37qcIWR9CtrqmiMdQVx7MF8Z0jtyJLjna9Nnk_grVs.jpg

Also...with the Great Park becoming a destination soon.  Mass transit would make a ton of sense for the tourists and weekend visitors.

Compressed-Village said:
So when is flying cars will be available for Irvine?

Irvinecommuter said:
Also...with the Great Park becoming a destination soon.  Mass transit would make a ton of sense for the tourists and weekend visitors.

How about flying orange hot air balloons?

Irvinecommuter said:
Blame Irvine for failing to implement some sort of light rail/mass transit system.

The NIMBYs (such as the OP) would never allow Irvine to have the kind of density that supports a successful light rail/mass transit. Most people in Irvine want driving their car to be as painless as possible, which obviously reduces the appeal of doing anything else, which feeds a cycle of car dependency.

Walking a huge half mile block from a train station, crossing eight lane roads, huge parking lots...the deck is stacked against mass transit and that's by design. And every new development has to build a massive amount of parking by government fiat, which further subsidizes cars.

How exhausting it is for NIMBYs and Leftists to always be offended, and driving  off to protests and council meetings to vent their spleens.....

StarmanMBA said:
How exhausting it is for NIMBYs and Leftists to always be offended, and driving  off to protests and council meetings to vent their spleens.....

How about the alt R? They don?t gather with torches or protest?

eyephone said:
StarmanMBA said:

You're thinking of Antifa, all your left-wing friends who wear black clothing and black masks as they scream and destroy and beat Trump supporters over the head with bike  locks.

eyephone said:
StarmanMBA said:

No they only do minor things like ramming cars into bystanders

Much like terrorists

Sorry eyephone ? Now that I have triggered our new resident snowflake ?straw man MBA ?  , we can expect an avalanche of kkk pics

Burn That Belly said:
Starman... i (sic) cannot keep up with you. You're (sic) random posts touching on every subject is (sic)  incredibly all over the place. You're like a Watson computer. Are you human or AI?

Don't even try keeping up with me.  You write like a schoolchild.  Writing is far simpler than thinking and analyzing, and you fail miserably at even that.

Burn That Belly said:
StarmanMBA said:
Burn That Belly said:
Starman... i (sic) cannot keep up with you. You're (sic) random posts touching on every subject is (sic)  incredibly all over the place. You're like a Watson computer. Are you human or AI?

Don't even try keeping up with me.  You write like a schoolchild.  Writing is far simpler than thinking and analyzing, and you fail miserably at even that.

I'm going to stay a bit away from you... kudos to what someone already mentioned with all that bottled-up angst. A freakshow that might just go postal and WTTCHMN will be the first to uncover it on ocregister. Going to sit out and let the TI vets manhandle you properly. Carry on.

"Writing is far simpler than thinking and analyzing, and you fail miserably at that."
Touched a nerve, didn't I?  My erudite friend in Florida has a saying: The  pig you hit is  the one that squeals.

In response to my observation, YOU accuse ME of "all that bottled-up angst," calling ME a "freakshow that might just go postal."

Stay far away from me.  Your hateful ignorance depresses people as you attempt to bring them down to your pathetic  level.

Back