Building in Irvine: Too Fast and I?m Furious

Burn That Belly said:
No need. You can check the review here:http://www.motortrend.com/news/20-best-60-to-0-distances-recorded/

Scroll to 1.

Also here:http://fastestlaps.com/lists/top-quickest-stoppers-60mph

Most of the pushrods <100 ft.

Course, I'm not going go hold a gopro and do this to kill my tires and pads. However, do note that it's not just the brakes, it's tires. And weight.

You know how much a M5 weighs? It's a pig at 4,370lbs.  You know how much a push rod is? roughly ~3500lbs.

You can't defy physics.

Unfortunately you can't control the person right behind your car. The soccer mom driving her Cadillac Escalade has a stopping distance of around 130 feet from 60 mph. That doesn't include the poor reaction because she was checking her Facebook account with her iPhone.  By the time her 2.5 ton vehicle comes to a complete stop, you and your pushrod would need some serious body work.

iacrenter said:
Burn That Belly said:
No need. You can check the review here:http://www.motortrend.com/news/20-best-60-to-0-distances-recorded/

Scroll to 1.

Also here:http://fastestlaps.com/lists/top-quickest-stoppers-60mph

Most of the pushrods <100 ft.

Course, I'm not going go hold a gopro and do this to kill my tires and pads. However, do note that it's not just the brakes, it's tires. And weight.

You know how much a M5 weighs? It's a pig at 4,370lbs.  You know how much a push rod is? roughly ~3500lbs.

You can't defy physics.

Unfortunately you can't control the person right behind your car. The soccer mom driving her Cadillac Escalade has a stopping distance of around 130 feet from 60 mph. That doesn't include the poor reaction because she was checking her Facebook account with her iPhone.  By the time her 2.5 ton vehicle comes to a complete stop, you and your pushrod would need some serious body work.

Also we keep saying pushrod but which one of these corvette's is it  : )

I mentioned 70 mph , you conveniently used 60 mph (does make a difference btw) but maybe we should use 80 mph since that's the actual speed you claim you can achieve on these Irvine streets ...

paperboyNC said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Burn That Belly said:
I have zero traffic...

This has to be alternative news. I've driven up both Culver and Jeffrey after 5pm and they are crowded like crazy. It's a good thing Irvine had the forethought to build those train bridges or it could have been way worse.

I think we forget what real traffic looks like when we drive in Irvine.

Irvine traffic: The lights weren't all green!?!?!?
Real city traffic: It look me 3+ light cycles to get through one intersection!

That day is coming. It's already at 1 light cycle at some major intersections around 5:30pm... just wait.

But maybe that's why they've installed new cameras on the lights on major roads... so they can manually override the "smart" system.

They are going to have to widen the 5 freeway overpass on Jeffrey within 10 years (they did that to the Culver underpass at the 5 a few years ago).

The UPS or FedEx driver who suddenly cuts into the tiny teeny space in front of your car is also exercising situational awareness -- He knows in this "situation" , he will win and expects you to blink and brake hard

Liar Loan said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Blame Irvine for failing to implement some sort of light rail/mass transit system.

Like say New York, West LA, Silicon Valley?  LOL...

Hmmm...NYC has a great mass transit system.  West LA is getting one...Silicon Valley also has a light rail system and BART is getting extended to SJ.

Pretty much all the top metro areas have great transit systems.

Irvinecommuter said:
Liar Loan said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Blame Irvine for failing to implement some sort of light rail/mass transit system.

Hmmm...NYC has a great mass transit system.  West LA is getting one...Silicon Valley also has a light rail system and BART is getting extended to SJ.

Exactly.  Irvine is not world class in this regard.

Liar Loan said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Liar Loan said:
Irvinecommuter said:

/eyeroll

Irvinecommuter said:
Liar Loan said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Liar Loan said:
Irvinecommuter said:

/eyeroll

If you ask the average person in a foreign country if they've heard of New York, LA, Silicon Valley, chances are yes they have heard of them and may even know something about them.  The same cannot be said of Irvine.  It doesn't matter that some immigrants from one particular country favor Irvine.  It doesn't matter that a handful of new money households have splurged on a high end car.  That isn't what defines a world class city.

Liar Loan said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Liar Loan said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Liar Loan said:
Irvinecommuter said:

/eyeroll

If you ask the average person in a foreign country if they've heard of New York, LA, Silicon Valley, chances are yes they have heard of them and may even know something about them.  The same cannot be said of Irvine.  It doesn't matter that some immigrants from one particular country favor Irvine.  It doesn't matter that a handful of new money households have splurged on a high end car.  That isn't what defines a world class city.

Seriously...I wrote:

And yet people from all over the world want to spend a lot of money to buy and settle down here.  Those Ferraris, Lambos, and Bentley are not mirages.

that's why the eyeroll...Irvine is not a major metropolis...does not mean it's not in high demand.

Burn That Belly said:
If Irvine implements a light-rail mass transit system, the hoodlums, riff-raffs, and homeless will DEFINITELY come.

Many progressive cities have a light rail. The traffic is out of control. It really is, too much traffic.

Back