Beacon Park

Happiness said:
nyc to oc said:
Happiness said:
After visiting the BP models a couple of times (I didn't step in any pee, vomit, or spit, thank goodness), I am shocked at the huge numbers of Indians looking at the models.  Of course, most of the visitors to BP models were from mainland China, but I saw almost as many Indians as mainland Chinese.  Maybe Broadcom is having a big impact on BP demographics.

maybe being by a cemetery is not taboo in Indian culture?
Do they even have cemeteries in India?  I thought Indians cremated their dead and poured the ashes in the Ganges.

I don't know what you are talking about.

aquabliss said:
Happiness said:
I guess the tandoori oven 5P installed in BP will be seeing a lot of use.

You mean for cremation or tikka masala?
Tikka masala of course.  According to Jules Verne in Around the World in 80 Days, the cremations are done on open bonfires like what Luke did with Darth Vader's body.

Happiness said:
aquabliss said:
Happiness said:
I guess the tandoori oven 5P installed in BP will be seeing a lot of use.

You mean for cremation or tikka masala?
Tikka masala of course.  According to Jules Verne in Around the World in 80 Days, the cremations are done on open bonfires like what Luke did with Darth Vader's body.

You still loss me.

I think Indians are into this reincarnation thing so there are no ghosts, when you die, you just come back as someone/something else.  Similarly, a dead body is just a temporary vessel until you get the next one for your next life so no need to preserve bodies in cemeteries.  Deceased Indian leaders don't have their corpses pickled like Chairman Mao.

I took the family this past weekend to check things out. Unlike Greenwood (http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,13252.msg266692.html#msg266692) , the staff at BP encouraged my kids to play on ALL the playground equipment. They had a blast running up and down the rope net courses and tree house.

The club house and common areas looked impressive. I enjoyed the modern style versus the boring TIC Tuscan aesthetic. I could see myself cooking chicken at the tendori oven while swapping abacus/tutoring tips with my new neighbors  ;) The common areas were definitely a home run and upgrade over PP facilities.

I didn't spend much time looking at the models. Checked only a few models: Ellwood--enjoyed the 3rd floor deck on Nolan and the retro wrap around porch on Nash. Torrey--enjoyed plan 2 with high ceiling entry, mud room, and large lot. It checked most of my boxes except for price (considering MR). Silvermist--whoever hired that decorator should be fired. I couldn't appreciate any of the homes because of the distracting interior design. Amber was interesting with ridiculously high ceiling throughout the home. I could only imagine the cost of cooling/heating that home.

From a design perspective and proximity to the GP, I can appreciate BP but the high MR and location on a superfund site is a turn off. Competition is good and it will be interesting to see how TIC and 5P play this game.

I agree with you on Silvermist decor.  There is one that has a western theme which looked hideous.  I seriously think they got someone in design school (or maybe a kid of one of the execs) to design this place.

iacrenter said:
From a design perspective and proximity to the GP, I can appreciate BP but the high MR and location on a superfund site is a turn off. Competition is good and it will be interesting to see how TIC and 5P play this game.

exactly...  the high MR is bad enough, but seriously do people not care that this is on a previous superfund site?  When there is no immediate cause and effect on your health, people seem to ignore things.  asbestos, DDT, DES are a few of MANY MANY toxins that have had scientifically proven harmful effects on the human body.  None of these were a concern to people until much later when we discovered these things were causing cancer 20-30 years later and in some cases like DES, causing cancer in children of exposed mothers!  I know we have TCE plume under the base and in parts of Irvine, but this base im sure the site has many other toxins.  I wouldnt be surprise that they find tons of other VOC's like benzene, toulene and heavy metals such as lead at this site.  Buyer beware...  in all honesty and I am being 100% honest here.  I wouldnt live in BP if they gave me the house...

hello said:
iacrenter said:

exactly...  the high MR is bad enough, but seriously do people not care that this is on a previous superfund site?  When there is no immediate cause and effect on your health, people seem to ignore things.  asbestos, DDT, DES are a few of MANY MANY toxins that have had scientifically proven harmful effects on the human body.  None of these were a concern to people until much later when we discovered these things were causing cancer 20-30 years later and in some cases like DES, causing cancer in children of exposed mothers!  I know we have TCE plume under the base and in parts of Irvine, but this base im sure the site has many other toxins.  I wouldnt be surprise that they find tons of other VOC's like benzene, toulene and heavy metals such as lead at this site.  Buyer beware...  in all honesty and I am being 100% honest here.  I wouldnt live in BP if they gave me the house...

Agreed! I don't know why so many home buyers in the BP area overlook that their home is built on a superfund site. The builders know it. That's why these homes are priced very competitively and they provide great amenities to lure buyers. Then you have the whole annual 2% increase on MR which is another issue. But thanks BP residence for paying for GP future development. My family and I will enjoy future amenities while wearing our hazmat suits  ;D

fishfinder333 said:
hello said:
iacrenter said:

Agreed! I don't know why so many home buyers in the BP area overlook that their home is built on a superfund site. The builders know it. That's why these homes are priced very competitively and they provide great amenities to lure buyers. Then you have the whole annual 2% increase on MR which is another issue. But thanks BP residence for paying for GP future development. My family and I will enjoy future amenities while wearing our hazmat suits  ;D

was their cleanup worthless?  I'm not a scientist but there are cleanups and testing done.. but you are implying that it won't help?

jmoney74 said:
fishfinder333 said:
hello said:
iacrenter said:

was their cleanup worthless?  I'm not a scientist but there are cleanups and testing done.. but you are implying that it won't help?

I for one don't trust the EPA and city officials. So much corruption and over site by these agencies. The clean up may be a success or may be not. I would save more money and move to a non superfund site.  I wouldn't put my family at risk, especially if you have little ones in the home.

I am no expert but from what I understand, so long as the soil tested does not exceed EPA allowable levels for the particular contaminants, the soil is deemed safe and the builder can build homes on the site.  I've seen retail centers with contaminated gas station pads and industrial use land with contamination cleaned up and converted to housing.  Not much different than with great park site.

irvine buyer said:
I am no expert but from what I understand, so long as the soil tested does not exceed EPA allowable levels for the particular contaminants, the soil is deemed safe and the builder can build homes on the site.  I've seen retail centers with contaminated gas station pads and industrial use land with contamination cleaned up and converted to housing.  Not much different than with great park site.

The same EPA that just caused the toxic mine spill??  They just declared the fish safe to eat but I don't know, would you?  Damn that river was orange... ???

Same EPA that assured New Yorkers that the air was safe to breathe and the water was safe to drink after 9/11. Couple years later same EPA said it was misleading as they didn't have enough data.

Maybe not the exact same EPA since Christy Todd Whitman isn't the head of it, but I don't have a lot of faith in the EPA anyway.

jmoney74 said:
fishfinder333 said:
hello said:
iacrenter said:

Do you think its possible to completely clean this up?  I HIGHLY doubt it.  FUrthermore its a trust issue.  Unfortunately history should tell you that you cannot trust EPA nor various other agencies.  As I mentioned in my previous post, too many past and current situations where government regulations have failed.  Why are we finding that nearly all pregnant women have various amounts of polychlorinated biphenyls, organocholrine pesticides, PBDEs, Phthalates, PAHs in their system?  Why are we finding very high levels of fire retardant in our infants?  Why? because there was a law until recently called TB-117 that forced furniture makings to use toxic levels of fire retardant regardless of whether studies which showed it was not efficacious or not.    Why do we have faucets that STILL have lead in it, especially if they are advertised as "lead free".  Why is it that we have 80K chemicals used in the USA and MOST of them have not been studied for safety?  In fact 60K of these chemicals have been grandfathered in before the toxic substance control act in 1976 and therefore no testing on them is necessary by law.  Why do we have severely elevated levels of formaldehyde in homes - especially new constructions?  Why is it that builders are not required to provide testing to prove they do not have elevated levels?  Why do you think some homes in BP are advertising low VOC paint and carpets? 

I could keep going, however specifically to the great park.  Im pretty sure this superfund site is contaminated with beneze and we know there is a trichlorethylene plume under it in the ground water.  These chemicals are KNOWN to increase neural tube defects (spina bifidia, etc), increase risk of cancers (including childhood blood cancers like leukemia, liver, lung kidney, etc), reproductive issues, etc, etc.  These are just the knowns... who knows what else they could cause. 

Yes, everyone will be exposed to dangerous chemicals and likely we come into contact with them all the time.  However why not try to avoid it as much as possible?  This is not an all or nothing issue.  These chemicals likely have a cumulative effects so it would be in your best interest to avoid as much as possible.  Can I prove that you WILL be exposed to these things?  Absolutely not, however living on top of a superfund site known to have harmful chemicals doesnt exactly seem like the best thing to do.

hello said:
jmoney74 said:
fishfinder333 said:
hello said:
iacrenter said:

Do you think its possible to completely clean this up?  I HIGHLY doubt it.  FUrthermore its a trust issue.  Unfortunately history should tell you that you cannot trust EPA nor various other agencies.  As I mentioned in my previous post, too many past and current situations where government regulations have failed.  Why are we finding that nearly all pregnant women have various amounts of polychlorinated biphenyls, organocholrine pesticides, PBDEs, Phthalates, PAHs in their system?  Why are we finding very high levels of fire retardant in our infants?  Why? because there was a law until recently called TB-117 that forced furniture makings to use toxic levels of fire retardant regardless of whether studies which showed it was not efficacious or not.    Why do we have faucets that STILL have lead in it, especially if they are advertised as "lead free".  Why is it that we have 80K chemicals used in the USA and MOST of them have not been studied for safety?  In fact 60K of these chemicals have been grandfathered in before the toxic substance control act in 1976 and therefore no testing on them is necessary by law.  Why do we have severely elevated levels of formaldehyde in homes - especially new constructions?  Why is it that builders are not required to provide testing to prove they do not have elevated levels?  Why do you think some homes in BP are advertising low VOC paint and carpets? 

I could keep going, however specifically to the great park.  Im pretty sure this superfund site is contaminated with beneze and we know there is a trichlorethylene plume under it in the ground water.  These chemicals are KNOWN to increase neural tube defects (spina bifidia, etc), increase risk of cancers (including childhood blood cancers like leukemia, liver, lung kidney, etc), reproductive issues, etc, etc.  These are just the knowns... who knows what else they could cause. 

Yes, everyone will be exposed to dangerous chemicals and likely we come into contact with them all the time.  However why not try to avoid it as much as possible?  This is not an all or nothing issue.  These chemicals likely have a cumulative effects so it would be in your best interest to avoid as much as possible.  Can I prove that you WILL be exposed to these things?  Absolutely not, however living on top of a superfund site known to have harmful chemicals doesnt exactly seem like the best thing to do.

While you're at it, why don't you share your opinion on vaccinations as well?  Seriously, this diatribe is grade A political talking head babble.

Back