Banned restaurants

ps99472

We eat out a lot, like pretty much all the time.  So over the years we have accrued a few 'never again' restaurants.  Here are the Irvine restaurants we avoid:

1). China Garden (kudos to IHS on this one, dirty restrooms for guests means filthy kitchen that you can't see)

2). Yu's Garden, same as above, check out the toaster oven.  And the ladies working there use cash hands to touch your food.

3). Honey Pig, sorry to say our last meal was almost $100 and felt gross afterwards.  Needs better ventilation and a better grill.  it is perfect after the gym or if you're already stinky though.

4).  101 Noodle Express, guaranntee upset stomach or your money back.  Ate here twice recently, both times slid into first and felt something burst, diarrhea, diarrhea

5). Capital Noodle, sadly my wife hates this place.  I'm still neutral but I don't like to eat alone.  And lately the food taste not as good as before.  Wife claims they put too much MSG, I can't tell if they do or not.  I get take out for myself sometimes but it's fewer and fewer since noodle soups don't taste good to go.

thats it for now, I'm sure we'll have more later.

ps9 said:
5). Capital Noodle, sadly my wife hates this place.  I'm still neutral but I don't like to eat alone.

I know that's frustrating. There are places I like but my husband doesn't. Could you eat at Capital Noodle on a lunch break with coworkers who like it? That is the solution my husband has with places he likes but he knows I don't really enjoy much even though he knows I would still go for him anyway if he really wanted to. He goes with the guys. Seems like a win-win. Like you, I just settle for inconvenient takeout at my places he won't step foot in. Luckily, those are pretty much just sushi places so it's easy enough. And sometimes the details don't matter to me if it's an emergency craving I'm dealing with.  ::)

ps9 said:
Wife claims they put too much MSG, I can't tell if they do or not.

Opposite here. Your wife is a better person than me. I get disappointed when I see the sign on the window that says "No MSG" and sometimes walk away. Imo, the best recipes always end up being the ones with MSG. I keep a bottle of it in my spice rack at home. I know some people say it triggers migraines for them but I've never experienced anything like that at all.

Interesting. Never had an issue at 101.  Love going there.

ps9 said:
We eat out a lot, like pretty much all the time.  So over the years we have accrued a few 'never again' restaurants.  Here are the Irvine restaurants we avoid:

1). China Garden (kudos to IHS on this one, dirty restrooms for guests means filthy kitchen that you can't see)

2). Yu's Garden, same as above, check out the toaster oven.  And the ladies working there use cash hands to touch your food.

3). Honey Pig, sorry to say our last meal was almost $100 and felt gross afterwards.  Needs better ventilation and a better grill.  it is perfect after the gym or if you're already stinky though.

4).  101 Noodle Express, guaranntee upset stomach or your money back.  Ate here twice recently, both times slid into first and felt something burst, diarrhea, diarrhea

5). Capital Noodle, sadly my wife hates this place.  I'm still neutral but I don't like to eat alone.  And lately the food taste not as good as before.  Wife claims they put too much MSG, I can't tell if they do or not.  I get take out for myself sometimes but it's fewer and fewer since noodle soups don't taste good to go.

Yu garden is not bad.  ate their once.  probably will 3.5 stars out of 5.

i really like capital noodle.  probably one of the best restaurant in irvine. 

can you also start a thread with favor restaurants.  :)

jmoney74 said:
Interesting. Never had an issue at 101.  Love going there.

Agree. Love 101. No issues.
And agree with the ps9's wife on capital noodle. Meh.
Ever since the dry chicken fiasco at luna grill, Ive realized ps9 and I have different ideas re: food. 

ps9 said:

+
6). Yigah, food is ok but dishonest owner and horrible service put this restaurant on my top banned list.

Had a "don't go to the light... praying the cold, sweet grip of death would envelop my soul" sort of bad food experience at Mitsuwa (Costa Mesa, not Irvine) but have never had an issue since. Love the place. Once, OK. Twice, no way.

Thanks for the warnings on the others.

The Mitsuwa food court in CM is much better than Irvine's.  @SGIP, which restaurant was it?  We like the grilled beef tongue place and the ramen joint.  The noodle/udon on the far left of the food court is a little sketchy:  the fried stuff is left out in the open and sometimes the udon is not hot enought. 

Main thing with Mitsuwa food court is to grab your food as soon as they call your number.  Otherwise people will start dropping pennies in your soup :)

Ps9, do you think that should go under Banned or Favorite. Or favorite for you & banned for Mrs. Ps9?

sentosa said:
interesting. but i read somewhere said that filthy restaurant bathroom == authentic chinese food.

Your post reminded of a sign inside Ralphs at Woodbury:

"Authentic Asian Food"

It was posted a on large wooden board along the top length of the whole asian food section.

LOL, if you have to write "Authentic" in your sign, you know it is the exact opposite.

Cash hands to touch your food worries you?  :eek:

I've eaten at 101 noodle many times and have never had a stomach ache. Maybe the lack of cash hands touching your food has made you a softie. 

Try eating at least one piece of food that has touched the table each time you go out to build up some immunity.

Bad service? I would return
Dishonest service? I would not

Coleman said:

I've eaten at 101 noodle many times and have never had a stomach ache. Maybe the lack of cash hands touching your food has made you a softie. 

Try eating at least one piece of food that has touched the table each time you go out to build up some immunity.

Referring to Yigah in Dimond Plaza, Irvine
Dishonest service? I would not -> we found that they charged us $26.20 for two dishes costing $10.99 each.  The amount is small but is just a matter of principals...

Regarding Yigah, we need someone else to confirm your findings before we can publish it in our journal.  Please, someone else go eat at Yigah...for science!

Roger said:
Coleman said:

Dishonest service? I would not -> we found that they charged us $26.20 for two dishes costing $10.99 each.  The amount is small but is just a matter of principals...

Did you look at the receipt breakdown to see where the extra amount came from ? Did you complain ?  It could just be an honest mistake which is not unusual for small asian restaurant (from wrong food served to wrong charges or menu price not updated etc).

zubs said:
Regarding Yigah, we need someone else to confirm your findings before we can publish it in our journal.  Please, someone else go eat at Yigah...for science!
I did ask someone on this board to see if they recently change the price.  But no one replied.

GH said:
Roger said:
Coleman said:

Did you look at the receipt breakdown to see where the extra amount came from ? Did you complain ?  It could just be an honest mistake which is not unusual for small asian restaurant (from wrong food served to wrong charges or menu price not updated etc).
They did not provide a breakdown receipt.  That's why I think it's shady because normally customer won't suspect if the bill is correct or not. 
And their item price almost all the same for main dishes except for 2 or 3 ones that are different.  It is highly unlikely they will messed up the bill with that kind of pricing structure.
I check the menu someone posted around feb. this year and the prices are still 10.99 each for those two items we ordered.  Unless of course if they change the price in march, but regardless they should update their menu accordingly.

There was one restaurant that I went to with a large group where they hide the gratuity within the many items on the bill!  Then, the slip still had the spot clearly open for tips.  The waiter never mentioned that the tip had already been included.

That was quite shady on their part! Shockingly, I can't remember the name of the restaurant.  :-[

I've been to Yigah and they did not overcharge me. 
I have been to restaurants where I was charged the wrong price, but I always gave them the benefit of the doubt.  If I saw this happen on multiple occurrences, then I would be leery.

Back