Baker Ranch in Lake Forest / Foothill Ranch

So looks like most people so far here are voting for an attached condo in Irvine more than a detached house in BR.

Mety said:
So looks like most people so far here are voting for an attached condo in Irvine more than a detached house in BR.

It is TalkIrvine. Probably a big bias.

Mety said:

I think you should buy whatever make sense for you. If you always wanted a detached place get the detached place.

The fun part (or not) when you decide on the upgrades, get the backyard or patio done.

This home in MV overlooks what can only be described as a surface street converted into a freeway. Oso is very difficult to drive on during rush hour. MV High School is best accessed by a maze of back roads during the AM.

If I had to get a 3CW in this price range, I'd probably try a quieter, older home with a big yard:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Mission-Viejo/24276-Ensenada-Ln-92691/home/5079256

Wouldn't want to live on Oso if you paid me, but "To each their own".

My .02c

Personally, I think some of the BR properties and amenities are great and we would buy in BR if it weren't for one thing. We can have our elementary school aged kids walk safely to their school in Irvine. There is no safe way for kids to get to the elementary, intermediate, or high school zoned for BR without a car. This is why I am constantly advocating for an elementary and perhaps a middle school in that area. I'm not going to send an eight year old walking alone, but I would walk with them if a school was closer. Just like riding a bike to an intermediate school should be possible, but the distance and uphill ride returning from Serrano would make this imposssible.

Kangen.Irvine said:
Personally, I think some of the BR properties and amenities are great and we would buy in BR if it weren't for one thing. We can have our elementary school aged kids walk safely to their school in Irvine. There is no safe way for kids to get to the elementary, intermediate, or high school zoned for BR without a car. This is why I am constantly advocating for an elementary and perhaps a middle school in that area. I'm not going to send an eight year old walking alone, but I would walk with them if a school was closer. Just like riding a bike to an intermediate school should be possible, but the distance and uphill ride returning from Serrano would make this imposssible.

What?s wrong with a short drive to school?

I personally like the ability to walk with my children to school, but a short drive is ok. The problem is the rest of the parent population in that area driving their kids too.

All I am saying is that IUSD offers schools within the neighborhoods and BR (Toll) messed up by not advocating for a community elementary school. Instead BR families are shipped off to two overcrowded schools with poor pick up areas.

Kangen.Irvine said:
I personally like the ability to walk with my children to school, but a short drive is ok. The problem is the rest of the parent population in that area driving their kids too.

All I am saying is that IUSD offers schools within the neighborhoods and BR (Toll) messed up by not advocating for a community elementary school. Instead BR families are shipped off to two overcrowded schools with poor pick up areas.

Just curious Kangen, where do you currently live?  BR? Nearby foothill or Lake forest or Irvine?  Based on your post history in the BR topic, seems you are very invested in getting a local school for BR residents but I believe one of your older posts mentioned not owning there.  Have you heard anything new on your end about the school district funds?

I drive around the area frequently and have pretty good knowledge of the community although Irvine is home.

I'm just an advocate of community involvement and schools being located near the newly developed communities. I believe Toll Brothers has harmed its buyers by not using its influence to support local schools in its new communities. The fact that FR Elementary is well above capacity should be a concern to any new buyer. Especially in a community touting its connectiveness through trails.

The school district has no incentive to build a school in the area since builders paid the fees up front. That money will be used in other areas, probably in the older Saddleback Valley communities. The BR homeowners need to be organized and attend board meetings.

Kangen.Irvine said:
I drive around the area frequently and have pretty good knowledge of the community although Irvine is home.

I'm just an advocate of community involvement and schools being located near the newly developed communities. I believe Toll Brothers has harmed its buyers by not using its influence to support local schools in its new communities. The fact that FR Elementary is well above capacity should be a concern to any new buyer. Especially in a community touting its connectiveness through trails.

The school district has no incentive to build a school in the area since builders paid the fees up front. That money will be used in other areas, probably in the older Saddleback Valley communities. The BR homeowners need to be organized and attend board meetings.

FR elementary was declining in enrollment before Baker Ranch. As a Baker Ranch resident I?m fine with builder fees going to other parts of Lake Forest/Foothill Ranch. I want a strong and well supported city all around, not just my 2 mile bubble. If that means I have to drive my son to school, so be it.

Toll wants to buy the nursery on Bake and Dimension.  In their proposal, they want to include building an elementary school as well.  They need people to show up at the city council meetings to show that a new school is both needed and wanted.

Just happened to drive up to Foothill Ranch this weekend... taking the Alton route.

At first I was like "Hmm... this isn't too far" but it kept going and going. Finally hit Baker Ranch and it's nice that the homes are built out but it's strange to be right in the middle of an industrial area.

Foothill Ranch still has better elevations/value if you're going to be driving out to the boonies.

Regarding Toll brothers proposal, although I?d still recommend a K-8.

agenda2009.city-lakeforest.com/SIREPub/cache/2/5unw2th45wlbd0nrdmrzgxum/15658309252017085207986.PDF

Abstraxx said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Abstraxx said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Abstraxx said:
aquabliss said:
All those Toll Bros sales people are trained to make you think that everyone is begging them to buy a home from them and they don't need to offer any incentives.  Make your offer for ask price and including $40k design center incentives.  Be prepared to walk, then keep your cell phone handy cuz they'll call you in 2 days saying they miraculously convinced their manager to include $10k design incentives but that's the most they will ever give.

At least I gave you a scenario very close to what will happen so you can prepare and decide ahead of time.  If your lowest point of agreeance is $25k incentives, then stick to it and see if they call you back a second time to accept your generous offer.

New Home Buyer here with a New Home Developer. I'm in the process of purchasing a home in Baker Ranch with Shea Homes. They require a few steps before actual purchase.

1. Pre-Qaul with them (Which we did and been approved) This allows us to be placed on a priority list.
2. Then we go to a phase release scheduled on Sept. 9. We'll have the option of selecting a home, then putting down a good faith deposit of $10k
3. We wait 6-8months for build out, complete loan paperwork, etc. then move in if everything goes as planned.

My question is: When can we make an offer and ask for incentives on the home we're interested in?
We are also Pre-Qual with another lender as well.

Both are selling very well and have wait lists so don't expect to get any incentives.  You won't be able to negotiate the price, it'll be a "take it or leave it" option for you.  Do find out if the builder's lender offers an incentive if you use them, but even if they do you'll want to cross shop when you are 45-60 days from closing to make sure you are getting the best rate possible.

I've attached the cost comparison schedule for you that you can play around with to see how the numbers shake out for you.

Thank you for your reply, the reps at Shea Homes said both developments were doing really well. I just wasn't sure if they were just saying that to say it or if it was really true.

From the last time I spoke with a Shea rep (1-2 months ago) They offered $3k towards flooring + $3k towards closing.

Yeah, you should definitely ask because you never get what you don't ask for...just adjust your expectations accordingly.  My vote is still to go with The Landing....you'll be glad you did down the road.  Good luck.

Great! Thank you for your tax benefits sheet, after punching in numbers and figuring out monthly difference between the two option,  the clear option is The Landing. Thank you so much for sharing your Tax Benefit spreadsheet, that helped so much with our decesion.

Did you end up going with the Landing?  I was also on the priority list for this and the Courts. 

greetings.
long time lurker here. my wife and i are planning to buy a house in baker ranch and just noticed there is a concrete factory nearby. is this an issue? we are expecting a child soon so just trying to be extra careful and asking you experts.
please share your thoughts and facts.

btw we visited the courts last week and they just sold model homes and the price went up like crazy.

Zion said:
greetings.
long time lurker here. my wife and i are planning to buy a house in baker ranch and just noticed there is a concrete factory nearby. is this an issue? we are expecting a child soon so just trying to be extra careful and asking you experts.

btw we visited the courts last week and they just sold model homes and the price went up like crazy.

We?ve lived in BR for 3 years now. No issues with the concrete plant. Don?t even really notice it?s there. Haven?t had any issue with particles or dust from the plant, it appears to be pretty small scale. We have a two year old that has lived in BR from birth. Happy and healthy, no issues. Several other families with small kids as well. No one has mentioned any issues with the concrete plant and impact on their kids.

eclipxe said:
Zion said:
greetings.

We?ve lived in BR for 3 years now. No issues with the concrete plant. Don?t even really notice it?s there. Haven?t had any issue with particles or dust from the plant, it appears to be pretty small scale. We have a two year old that has lived in BR from birth. Happy and healthy, no issues. Several other families with small kids as well. No one has mentioned any issues with the concrete plant and impact on their kids.

great to hear from someone who actually lives there. thanks!

eclipxe said:
Zion said:
greetings.

I agree with this.  The line of work I am in allows me to visit different sites and this one is a very small scale plant.  I just purchased a home in BR and I am content with the location compared to other new communities in OC.

Has anyone noticed at the Legacy in Tustin-many homes were built downwind of Irvine's Construction Circle, where there are a half dozen concrete plants, trash transfer station and autobody/paint shops?  Or Rancho Mission Viejo building their community right around a wastewater treatment plant?

Back