Apps on sale and recommended

Question for gamers on tablets, do you use a bluetooth joystick or use the onscreen controls when playing games?  I've tried the onscreen "joysticks" and can't get used to it.

ps99472 - On your idevice, how do you get games/apps that aren't on iTunes?  Do you have to jailbreak it to allow non-iTunes sources for games/apps?  Also, what app do you use to browse files on your network from your iPad?

I imagine there is a generation of kids who will never have callouses on their thumbs... like we did growing up... (how sad)

there are people turning these into MP3 players...
http://www.instructables.com/id/NES-Controller-MP3-Player/
nes-mp3.jpg

jvna said:
Question for gamers on tablets, do you use a bluetooth joystick or use the onscreen controls when playing games?  I've tried the onscreen "joysticks" and can't get used to it.

ps99472 - On your idevice, how do you get games/apps that aren't on iTunes?  Do you have to jailbreak it to allow non-iTunes sources for games/apps?  Also, what app do you use to browse files on your network from your iPad?

My apple products aren't jailbroken...I would think you do need it if you want unauthorized apps on your devices.. unless it's an app that made it to iTunes and later got yanked by apple (i have a few of those, usually tethering apps).  I don't browse files on my network, just go to my laptop if I need anything.. I'm pretty low tech..(i do use Apple).. can't even get my wireless printer to print wireless..

maybe this app?
http://appshopper.com/business/splashtop-remote-desktop-for-iphone-ipod-touch

yeah, i don't like the virtual joystick on my iPad/iPhone but I usually play touch games.. so angry birds, tower defense is fine for those.. street fighter and FPS not so well...

Some tablet/cell phone games look beautiful (like FPS games or fighting games), but I don't see myself trying to play them if I don't have some type of physical controller/joystick for it.

RC - yeah, those old school controllers only have two buttons.  Kids these days have like 6 or more or use motion to play.  No calloused thumbs, but they'll punch holes in their TV's.

I'm not really looking for a remote control app to remotely control your PC/Mac.  I was thinking about an app to allow you to access files on a PC/Mac/network storage.  Something like streaming movies/music from your home network storage (NAS) to a tablet.

jvna said:
I'm not really looking for a remote control app to remotely control your PC/Mac.  I was thinking about an app to allow you to access files on a PC/Mac/network storage.  Something like streaming movies/music from your home network storage (NAS) to a tablet.
I think there are some Android apps for that.

Splashtop for Android actually works really well for this. It's a remote desktop app but the streaming was very good on my no longer mine Transformer. It comes pre-installed on Asus products.

I think Samsung has something similar but I forgot what it was called on their Galaxy Tabs.

On iOS there are a few like Air Video:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-video-free-watch-your/id313056918?mt=8

That one is free (you need to install server software on your computer) but I think the $3 version gives you full access to your files.

jvna said:

What NAS are you using?

I have the Netgear ReadyNAS DUO (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MVIH24/ref=twister_dp_update?ie=UTF8&psc=1).  It's a two bay NAS.  Got the diskless version and threw in two 1.5TB drives.  They're mirrored.  Got it a few years ago, but it serves it's purpose.  My wife does photography so she puts puts a copy of the images on the NAS.  It supports Time Machine for her Macbook Pro.  It's fairly fast.  Since it's older, it will only max out at 2TB drives.  She burns all the raw images to DVD and keeps the edited images on the NAS.  Works great for streaming movies.

ps99472 said:
couple good ones today..
http://appshopper.com/games/dungeon-defenders-first-wave

Tower Defense game, good reviews

Have you played Kingdom Rush?  How is it compared to that?  I've been wasting my free time playing this game.  I also played Jelly Defense on my Android phone before it started being too much for my phone and had huge lag.  I'll play Jelly Defense again whenever I get a new Android tablet.

Also, I quickly scanned through some games in Apple's App Store.  It seems a lot of the "free" games and some of the paid games have in-app purchase.  If you don't buy things in the game, you really can't advance.  I hate that how it makes you pay (more) to play.  Is that how most of the games are?  Are there good free games with ad support or low cost good games?  It seems like with in-app purchases, the game can cost as much as a console game or more.

irvinehomeowner said:
jvna said:
I think there are some Android apps for that.

Splashtop for Android actually works really well for this. It's a remote desktop app but the streaming was very good on my no longer mine Transformer. It comes pre-installed on Asus products.

I think Samsung has something similar but I forgot what it was called on their Galaxy Tabs.

On iOS there are a few like Air Video:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-video-free-watch-your/id313056918?mt=8

That one is free (you need to install server software on your computer) but I think the $3 version gives you full access to your files.

I installed and configured the native Netgear Remote app for the iPad.  It works fine... for copying files between the NAS and iPad.  I was hoping to stream.  So I found FileBrowser for $5.  It works really well and does everything I need it to.  I've set it up to connect to the NAS (can stream movies from NAS) and also set it up to connect to my Windows 7 laptop.  I ripped the Cars movie from DVD, used Handbrake to convert it and used FileBrowser to copy it to the iPad.  It plays great on it.  First time using Handbrake.  Great app.  Now when my wife takes the kids to the allergist this week, she'll have the Cars movie playing to distract them while they get their prick test.

jvna said:
ps99472 said:
couple good ones today..
http://appshopper.com/games/dungeon-defenders-first-wave

Tower Defense game, good reviews

Have you played Kingdom Rush?  How is it compared to that?  I've been wasting my free time playing this game.  I also played Jelly Defense on my Android phone before it started being too much for my phone and had huge lag.  I'll play Jelly Defense again whenever I get a new Android tablet.

Also, I quickly scanned through some games in Apple's App Store.  It seems a lot of the "free" games and some of the paid games have in-app purchase.  If you don't buy things in the game, you really can't advance.  I hate that how it makes you pay (more) to play.  Is that how most of the games are?  Are there good free games with ad support or low cost good games?  It seems like with in-app purchases, the game can cost as much as a console game or more.

Wasted quite a bit of time on Kingdom Rush, got 68 out of 70 stars so far, one of my favorites on my iPad.  Dungeon Defenders seems more action oriented, haven't played it yet, just downloaded.  IAPs are abundant on many free games on iTunes.  I don't have an issue with them, I just don't buy them.  I never got into jelly defense, the music/sound got annoying after awhile.

Angry Birds Space came out today.

Pretty cool what they did with gravity, atmosphere and black holes (the black holes take you to bonus levels that look like other video games such as Space Invaders and Super Mario Bros).

I use the screen controls... it's a bit tricky to pull off a Hadoken or Shoryuken... but it's doable. I still have problems doing the Tatsumaki Senpukyaku though.

Back