Apps on sale and recommended

RC, IHO, anyone on Android... have you tried or do you use GetJar?  It seems their library is getting bigger.  But how do the apps get updated?  It doesn't use Android Market so how do you know when the developers have released updates for it?

Hope I'm not hijacking or intruding.  I am talking about apps.

JVNA.. nice, that totally sounds familiar... although I haven't been there or downloaded anything from them, I seen plenty of reputable Android people who give them +1s on G+ and mention them in previous posts...

that is a good question on updates,, it not found in the FAQ, here is what I found...
http://blog.getjar.com/developer/howtoupdates/

Let us know if you try it... I've got all the apps I can handle right now...

jvna said:
RC, IHO, anyone on Android... have you tried or do you use GetJar?  It seems their library is getting bigger.  But how do the apps get updated?  It doesn't use Android Market so how do you know when the developers have released updates for it?
Doesn't GetJar have an app you can install?

Like Cydia (the iOS jb market), I thought GetJar keeps track of installs and updates because I remember it was on the first tablet I used that wasn't authorized for Google's App Market... but I might be confusing it with SlideMe.

So I'm trying GetJar.  You go to www.getjar.com on your phone and it goes to the mobile version m.getjar.com  You are correct IHO, a popup tells you that you have to install GetJar to get the apps.  It downloads getjar.apk and you need to install it.  Now you've got the GetJar app.  You start the GetJar to get to apps.

- All apps are free.  From GetJar:
Q. How do GetJar makes money?
A. Answer ? GetJar generates revenue through its PPD (pay per download) system which allows developers to get premium visibility in GetJar?s store and distribution partners by bidding for ad slots. Developers can geo-target campaigns by country, carrier and/or handset and bid whatever amount they are prepared to pay for each download. A daily maximum budget gives developers a way to control their costs and developers only pay for the downloads they incur. Additional products like Application Download Page and Apps Catalogue Express (ACE) in addition to partnerships with carriers and OEMs contribute to GetJar?s reach and traffic and as a result help generate additional revenue.

- No need to create an account or give any info.  The app determines your phone and lists available apps for your phone.

- Looking at some apps available tells me it doesn't look to see what I've already got installed from other portals (Android Market, Amazon Android Market) before offering apps to me.

I'll try install a game or two that will hopefully entertain the kids when needed.

RC - The link (http://blog.getjar.com/developer/howtoupdates/) about app updates from GetJar is actually for app developers.  It looks like it's up to the app developers if they want to put in Update notifications (a beta feature) for their apps.  Checks in with the servers.

There seems to be a fair amount of offerings, but the GetJar app isn't polished like the Android Market, IMO.  There's a My Apps tab, but it doesn't list the app I've installed (looks like it might ask you to log into Facebook and maybe that's how it knows it's you?).  I'll give it a go for a bit and see how it is.

Is this similar to freemyapps.com for iOS?  I got quite a few free games.. Batman, infinity blade 2, etc.

I'm not familiar with freemyapps.com, but GetJar seems legit and offers free and paid Android apps for free.  I believe the way it works is that they pay the app owners per install and get revenue from sponsors.  Only concern is the concern I had earlier, which are app updates.

Back