Appliances - Help Needed!

irvinehomeowner said:
The LG and Samsung we are looking at seem to have doors high enough without the pedastals.

Most of the Samsung and LG front loaders have big doors in the center of the washer.  It's in part due to the large capacity. 

This is the washer I have:

620b0914fc3258687fa6ed69b1eea3bc.jpg

We have this:

samsungfridge_zps481653fa.jpg
http://www.lowes.com/pd_22748-149-RFG238AARS_0__?productId=3085859http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,3073.msg47254.html#msg47254

Had some issues with the water dispenser.  Had the tech come out a few times, keep blaming the water pressure of the house.  Then realized it could be the steel braided water line getting kinked when I shoved the fridge into its cutout.  Pulled it out a few inches and water dispenser works great now.  The water filter is fairly cheap.  About $20 every 6 months for a Samsung branded one too.  French door is the way to go.  Great for fitting take out containers versus the side by side fridge.  Huh, just noticed the price on these has gone up quite a bit since I got it.  Hmmm.. appliance pricing related to housing trend?

ps9 said:
We have this:

Had some issues with the water dispenser.  Had the tech come out a few times, keep blaming the water pressure of the house.  Then realized it could be the steel braided water line getting kinked when I shoved the fridge into its cutout.  Pulled it out a few inches and water dispenser works great now.  The water filter is fairly cheap.  About $20 every 6 months for a Samsung branded one too.  French door is the way to go.  Great for fitting take out containers versus the side by side fridge.  Huh, just noticed the price on these has gone up quite a bit since I got it.  Hmmm.. appliance pricing related to housing trend?

Appliance is generally cyclical...we got a good deal at the end of summer for our appliances and saw the prices jump up in a week. 

Ahh... so the larger capacity ones might not have enough space... I'll measure to make sure... or just get shorter laundry baskets... but then that would be counter productive... lower capacity baskets for higher capacity washer/dryer. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
Ahh... so the larger capacity ones might not have enough space... I'll measure to make sure... or just get shorter laundry baskets... but then that would be counter productive... lower capacity baskets for higher capacity washer/dryer. :)

Samsung and LG are actually not as bad.

The new Maytags:

2ykj3u8.jpg

New Kenmore

spin_prod_814072812

Chairman said:
qwerty said:
Chairman - i have a kenmore elite, this one, or very similar. works great. very happy with it

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-elite-5.1-cu-ft-front-load-washer/p-02641072000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

our dryer is also kenmore elite

5.2 cubic feet is for a family of 5? Is the 4 good enough?

Thats the biggest they make so I would think so. We are 3

Wonder if in a few years chinese brands will dominate the large appliance market.  Haier?  But would you spend over $1k for Chinese made? 

We have a Samsung washer/dryer frontloader combo and they both really work great.  Doors clear the basket we use.  I offered the pedestals to my wife and she flatly declined; she's short and does not want the machines any taller.  We are patient shoppers and got them when they went on sale at Best Buy.  I think we paid around $600 each and they retailed for around $1100 each.  Clothes come out really clean without getting beat up, and I know the dryer is pretty efficient because 1) the laundry room does not get warmer when the dryer is used, and 2) the air exiting the vent is cooler than any other dryer I've used, yet the cycle time is about the same.  Also, love how much cheaper to operate this gas dryer is vs. our old electric.

I just did some laundry and I don't think the lower doors would matter that much. I load/unload it with the door open and then when I close the door I move the basket out of the way.

I actually used a hamper (those foldable ones) and they are taller than a basket and had no issues.

I really want to get a Sammy or LG... but we can wait a while.

irvinehomeowner said:
I just did some laundry and I don't think the lower doors would matter that much. I load/unload it with the door open and then when I close the door I move the basket out of the way.

I actually used a hamper (those foldable ones) and they are taller than a basket and had no issues.

I really want to get a Sammy or LG... but we can wait a while.
So that means you have a top load washer or front load?

I have a front load (picture a few posts ago).

What I'm saying is you can put a tall basket in front of the dryer, open the washer door and put the clothes in from there or move it in front of the open door. Reverse and repeat when taking clothes out of the dryer.

Never really thought about it this much until this thread.

I refused to buy the pedestals.  What are they about 250 each plus tax??  Damn ripoff.

qwerty said:
I refused to buy the pedestals.  What are they about 250 each plus tax??  Damn ripoff.

I agree - pricey. I saw the pedestals were on sale for at lowes for a 100 dollars for the Fridgidare washer/dryer. But who wants a Fridgidare washer/dryer. ;)

bones said:
qwerty said:

I don't think they're that expensive.  Plus you can always find them on sale.  I think I paid a little over $100 for two.

You got a good deal.

Back