Anyone getting the iPhone 7 ?

iacrenter

Apple will announce their latest iPhone tomorrow at 10am.

You can catch the press conference live via Apple's web stream:
http://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2016/

The latest rumors suggest only minor changes to the form factor. The biggest upgrades/changes will be:

1) A larger, improved camera on the iPhone 7, plus a dual-camera system exclusive to the larger the iPhone 7 Plus
2) No headphone jack on both new phones (you'll have to buy a bluetooth headset or one that uses a lightning adapter)
3) A pressure sensitive home button, using technology similar to that found on the 3D Touch screen
4) Storage capacities ranging from 32GB to 256GB
5) A faster A10 processor
6) Waterproofing IPX7 standard (1 meter deep for 30 minutes)

iacrenter said:
2) No headphone jack on both new phones (you'll have to buy a bluetooth headset or one that uses a lightning adapter)
I still don't understand why they would do this.

1. It limits charging and using wired headphones at the same time (unless you use an adapter that has an additional lightning port).

2. Makes all those headphone jack accessories obsolete (there goes ps9's selfie stick).
This is something the iPhone needs. Samsung has been able to do it with their closed build design... and they still have headphone ports.

If the leaked photos are real (which they have been), it's not a big change physically, they should have probably called this the iPhone 6SS (rumor is it could be called the iPhone 6SE).

I'll just keep my 6S until I see what they have next year on the 10th anniversary of the iPhone.

irvinehomeowner said:
iacrenter said:
I still don't understand why they would do this.

1. It limits charging and using wired headphones at the same time (unless you use an adapter that has an additional lightning port).

2. Makes all those headphone jack accessories obsolete (there goes ps9's selfie stick).
This is something the iPhone needs. Samsung has been able to do it with their closed build design... and they still have headphone ports.

If the leaked photos are real (which they have been), it's not a big change physically, they should have probably called this the iPhone 6SS (rumor is it could be called the iPhone 6SE).

I'll just keep my 6S until I see what they have next year on the 10th anniversary of the iPhone.

Why wouldn't they do it. Money money money!!!

I love Apple but this phone looks like a snore fest. I might also wait for the 2017 iPhone -- all glass case, OLED screen, curved glass and no home button.

Hey leave me and my selfie stick alone :).  Btw it's Bluetooth selfie stick, no need for the headphone jack. 

I'll probably skip until the 7s like usual, unless they release some evolutionary new tech, but I doubt it.

ps9 said:
Hey leave me and my selfie stick alone :).  Btw it's Bluetooth selfie stick, no need for the headphone jack. 
I purposely bought the headphone jack one so that it would be easier to switch between phones, would have a smaller form factor and we wouldn't have to worry about batteries.

And we have yet to use it (keep forgetting it at home when we go to places of note).

Dusting off my Apple TV to watch the live event, the phone probably won't be discussed until the end. 

Nintendo!

ps9 said:
Dusting off my Apple TV to watch the live event, the phone probably won't be discussed until the end. 

Nintendo!

What Apple TV version do you have?
Must be nice to work from home.

Apple Watch Series 2/Nike + watch looks interesting.

Cook just started talking about the iPhone.

Like the low power processor cores to improve battery life. I have to charge my android 2-3X a day despite replacing the battery a few weeks ago. I'm tempted to go to iPhone just for the battery, but usually changed my mind because of the 16gb/32gb with no SD card issue. With 32gb/128gb it's more tempting.

Will wait to see if there are holiday deals as I don't want to pay $869+ tax for a iPhone 7+ with 128gb... too pricey.

- So waterproof iPhone is better, but only IP67 vs IP68 (for Sammy's phones)
- No more physical movement home button
- Dual cameras on the Plus

Will probably get one of these in the family.

Jet black is going to be almost a grand out of pocket.  Why did they get rid of 64gb?  I can get by with that.  Now it's 32gb and jumps to 128fb with nothing in between.  And 32fb config not available with jet black.

ps9 said:
Jet black is going to be almost a grand out of pocket.  Why did they get rid of 64gb?  I can get by with that.  Now it's 32gb and jumps to 128fb with nothing in between.  And 32fb config not available with jet black.

So they can say they are doubling the previous capacities.  Easier to have a unified approach than to have a 32/64/256 or 32/64/128 approach.  I'll be buying one for the faster A10 processor and much improved camera.

Getting rid of the headphone jack is a mistake, IMO.  It's part of Apple's tradition to go against the grain on those sort of things...  My understanding is that the headphone jack will make the phone thicker, and they can get it a few mm thinner.  I don't really care for the phones to get any thinner.  Not sure what phone apps would benefit from the faster processor. 

I'm considering getting the iPhone7 and dumping Android.

ps9 said:
Why did they get rid of 64gb?  I can get by with that.  Now it's 32gb and jumps to 128fb with nothing in between.  And 32fb config not available with jet black.
I'm glad they got rid of the 16gb, my kids have 32gb and that's not even enough.

But I agree they should kept the 64gb. And also by doing this, they made the starting prices higher. Last year you could buy the 6s 16gb for $549 and the 6s Plus 16gb for $649, this year the lowest 7 you can buy is the 32gb for $649 and the lowest 7 Plus is the 32gb for $769.

Paying $500 for a phone that will be obsolete in 2-3 years is crazy, paying close to $1000 ($969 for the 256gb 7 Plus) is bonkers. I thought the Galaxy Note 7 (da bomb phone) was expensive at $849 but at least that had 64gb+256gb external SD (and is IP68).

But, we will be pre-ordering one... however not for me. I'm hoping to get a refurb Note 7 on the cheap since there will be a ton of those due to the battery exploding recall.

I thought technology was supposed to be getting cheaper... gah.

Interesting, they re-tiered the pricing and memory for the 6s.

The 16gb is no longer available and now starts at 32gb, they also got rid of the 64gb. So not the 6s line only has 2 memory models and is $100 cheaper:

Last year:
6s 16gb $549 Plus $649
6s 64gb $649 Plus $749
6s 128gb $749 Plus $849

This year:
6s 32gb $549 Plus $649
6s 128gb $$649 Plus $749

The best value is the 128gb for either 6s but for $100 more, if you don't mind the missing headphone port, the 7 is a better buy ($120 more if you are looking at the 7 Plus).

You can still buy the SE (aka iPhone 5S 2) for $399/$449 for 16gb/64gb (wonder if they'll drop the pricing on that).

Cases are usually for protection.

I cringe whenever I see anyone with a phone and no case, that's just a cracked screen or dented corners waiting to happen.

I've never cracked a screen, but my wife did once.  A case wouldn't have helped in that situation, though.

If a beautiful case is always covered, then it doesn't really matter if it's beautiful or not.  Nobody gets to see it.

I've definitely scratched/scuffed a nice case but at least I got to enjoy it with all it's beauty.  If a scuff bothers me enough, I might then get then a case for it or even sometimes replace the scuffed part.

Back