Alternative Medicine Pediatrician?

+1 Bones

Laughing at neurotic parents bathing their kids in purell is one thing but to ignore 200 years of medical scientific advances is ludicrous. Forget the Germ Theory, just go ahead and stick your heads in the sand and  believe that miasma is the cause of your illnesses.

It is great we live in a country where you have the right to make stupid choices. But be aware your choices have consequences:

Have you seen a child with bad meningiococcal meningitis? Have you seen what unchecked bacterial infection can do to to a child's body? This is PREVENTABLE!

Charlotte_Cleverley-Bisman_Meningicoccal_Disease.jpg

Is the Earth round or flat? It is not my belief that vaccines saves lives it is fact.

I don't expect anyone to change their beliefs based on some random posts on TI. But I would like everyone to know  the facts. This includes the consequences/risks of not getting vaccinated.

Unfortunately this has serious public health implications. Failure to vaccinate for whatever beliefs not only endangers the individual but those who around them. This includes anyone with immune suppression--Cancer patients, transplant, HIV etc... Now what initially appears to be a benign belief affects many more vulnerable people in society. Again this is not my belief but fact.

If you like logical analogies, this would be akin to someone who believes alcohol has no affect on your ability to drive. You can believe all you want but the facts are clear that alcohol impairs judgement and decreases reflex time and increases your risk for a motor vehicle crash. If I acted on those beliefs it would be putting  others in harms way.

Tyler Durden said:
Respect is a two way street.  She has a right to her opinion and you have a right to yours. You shouldn't be talking down to someone who doesn't share your beliefs.

She didn't start the thread to telling everyone to stop vaccinating their kids.  She asked a question asking for advice to find a particular service.  A few people here have taken it upon themselves to try to change her beliefs by assuming that she will suddenly drop any long-held beliefs by listening to complete strangers pass judgement on her.  She has her reasons for her beliefs and others have their own reasons for theirs.  To think that she is less informed or lacks experience in such matters is only an assumption.

By this logic, if she asked for a vegan restaurant she would be advised on the benefits of eating meat.  Or if she asked for a secular official to perform a wedding ceremony, she would be advised to become affiliated with a church or formal religion.

Does no one believe in simply answering her question?

TI is about conflict! That's what keeps us coming back!

I've never understood people who ignore science/medicine. If I get a headache, I take like five naproxen. Screw all this all natural shit. My daughter just got her first set of vaccines yesterday, why someone would not vaccinate their kids is beyond me. The evidence is there, they work. Imagine a US without vaccines. I'm guessing people would wish they existed

Irvine wife's believe of not vaccinating but taking her kid to the hospital if he/she got sick is interesting. So she is not against medicine as she stated

Irvine wife - maybe you already mentioned this bit what exactly is about vaccines that you are against? Pumping un-natural chemicals into your kid? As others have stated, your going to be pumping your kid, and they will pump themselves full of unnatural chemicals as adults.

While I can understand IrvineHouseWife's concerns, personally I think the benefits outweigh the risks. I also think by not vaccinating, you put others at risk.

About the measles, I think I read somewhere that if you do get them, sure you'll live, but later on in life as an adult you may get shingles. Why risk that?

I've always felt it's better to prevent than having to treat or cure. If there was a vaccination against cancer, wouldn't most of you take it?

If anything, this topic is interesting.

nosuchreality said:
Herd immunity has been shredded.  Statewide, only 90% of kindergarteners are up to date on their vacs.  Many schools report 1/3rd or more are not.

And, it's the more affluent sections that are forgoing the vaccinations.

Hint, if a third of you school isn't vaccinated, that's a huge exposure and as previously noted,  a huge reason why whooping cough has come roaring back.

The LA Times had a recent opinion peace,http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion...nd-vaccination-rates-20130811,0,3743127.story

Irvinehousewife let us know what you find.  I know when we were talking with Pediatricians and brought up vaccinations, we got severely lectured by multiple ones before we could even explain that we were fine with vaccination, just didn't want the multi-group cocktails and the compressed timeline opting for an alternative more spreadout timeline.

"didn't want the multi-group cocktails and the compressed timeline opting for an alternative more spreadout timeline."

Your link says:

"there is little evidence to support this practice."

... "Herd immunity has been shredded. Statewide, only 90%of kindergarteners are up to date on their vacs."

Your source says:

"In order for a school to be considered truly immunized, from a public health standpoint, its immunization rate needs to be 90% or higher."

Interesting article.

irvinehomeowner said:
SoCal said:
bones said:
No one is talking down to her in this thread - just simply people disagreeing with her beliefs.

No one?

To be fair... I believe IrvineHouseWife threw the first volley by telling people to educate themselves and used the word "asinine".

Before that, posters were even using "IMO" to point out what their opinion was.

Thanks but I read the entire thread before posting the comment. I could see why she views the unsolicited advice as being asinine. Her decision was called  "terrible" and she was mocked. All this for her asking about a recommendation to a local office. Remember, I'm doing vaccinations for mine, but you don't see me getting all riled up (well, today, anyway. :p ) I also don't pretend to be a know-it-all internet doctor like some here who think they are as good as one because they went to the School of WebMD. IHW is heavily pregnant. It is disturbing to see the kinda harsh attitude against her but not entirely surprising considering some of the sources. She doesn't need to be stressed right now. She has enough on her plate. I want to help keep her happy & relaxed. If she wants to vent, let her.

I agree with SoCal.  I know this is a BB on the intrawebz and we can all have disagreements (sometimes heated, albeit from behind an anonymous handle), but a modicum of decorum is occasionally lacking between members.  Personal insults shouldn't be posted.  I'm also guilty as charged as I sometimes post before thinking.  But flaming will keep new members from joining and posting.  The OP didn't ask our opinion on vaccinations, she just asked for a referral to a pediatrician who would forego the vaccination.  JMHO.

She doesn't need to be stressed right now. She has enough on her plate. I want to help keep her happy & relaxed. If she wants to vent, let her.

Oh SoCal, you just earn brownie points by the boatload don't you? Thank you kindly for the support. I truly appreciate it.

I have actually quite enjoyed reading the posts. Some people have very interesting points of view and the fear in others really fascinates me.

It's nice to know there are level headed people out there.  :)

bones said:
SoCal said:
I also don't pretend to be a know-it-all internet doctor like some here who think they are as good as one because they went to the School of WebMD.

Fwiw, I don't need webmd for my know it all info. I have an actual MD behind my name.

Doctor, your bedside manner could be slightly improved.  :-\

Tell us - what sort of doctor are you? Are you a pediatrician? If you are a credible person speaking from a position of authority who would genuinely like to help IHW, why not PM her your contact information and credentials so she can schedule an appointment with you to discuss further if & when she's ready.

Otherwise, we'll question your motives. :( MDs come in many shapes & forms. Being a podiatrist does not a vaccination expert make. And as we all know, unfortunately, not every doctor graduated at the top of his class. :(

IrvineHousewife said:
She doesn't need to be stressed right now. She has enough on her plate. I want to help keep her happy & relaxed. If she wants to vent, let her.

Oh SoCal, you just earn brownie points by the boatload don't you? Thank you kindly for the support. I truly appreciate it.

I have actually quite enjoyed reading the posts. Some people have very interesting points of view and the fear in others really fascinates me.

I know what it's like to be in your shoes. It's an overwhelming responsibility to make all the right choices we're presented with on behalf of our child. Especially moms, we torture ourselves over making the right ones. We don't need anybody essentially telling us "You're doing it wrong, idiot" when we agonize over these things enough as it is.

For the person who said, "Don't talk to me about asinine. Go tell the American Academy of Pediatrics..." If you're going by that, then what do you do with the fluid policy changes: swaddling, back to sleep, but especially a big controversial one like universal circumcision? After letting their policy sway me to twice make a decision, that they later reversed, and that I regret to this day and still beat myself up over, I will never look at it the same way again.

bones said:
IrvineHousewife said:
However will you vaccinating Nazi's sleep at night now?!

So being 9 months pregnant allows you to call someone that disagrees with you a nazi?

SoCal said:
I also don't pretend to be a know-it-all internet doctor like some here who think they are as good as one because they went to the School of WebMD.

Fwiw, I don't need webmd for my know it all info. I have an actual MD behind my name.

I'm guessing bones is...an orthopedist! :)

SoCal said:
IrvineHousewife said:

I know what it's like to be in your shoes. It's an overwhelming responsibility to make all the right choices we're presented with on behalf of our child. Especially moms, we torture ourselves over making the right ones. We don't need anybody essentially telling us "You're doing it wrong, idiot" when we agonize over these things enough as it is.

For the person who said, "Don't talk to me about asinine. Go tell the American Academy of Pediatrics..." If you're going by that, then what do you do with the fluid policy changes: swaddling, back to sleep, but especially a big controversial one like universal circumcision? After letting their policy sway me to twice make a decision, that they later reversed, and that I regret to this day and still beat myself up over, I will never look at it the same way again.

Professional bodies like the American Academy of Pediatrics base their recommendations on the best available data/studies. Over time new studies come out and the recommendations may change. That is called evidence based medicine.

There are numerous studies that support the benefit of vaccines. This is why almost every major medical organization endorses their use.

Back