YellowFever said:
My top choices:
Hidden Canyon
Turtle Rock
Turtle Ridge
Shady Canyon
Orchard Hills
Laguna Altura
Laguna Altura? Isn't that right next to the 405 and the 133 and the power lines next to Quail Hill?

Orchard Hills is close to the toll roads and agricultural land.

I think every place has its warts.
yep, even the turtle rock area is close to a former landfill:
http://www.oclandfills.com/landfill/closed/coyotehttp://www.oclandfills.com/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=6648

Even Turtle Ridge is not safe???!!!

Dates of Operation and Closure
The County operated the landfill from 1963 to 1990.
Size and Types of Waste
The site is a closed Class III landfill containing 60 million cubic yards of municipal solid waste materials generated from household, commercial, industrial, and agricultural sources on approximately 395 acres.

someone should just make a color coded map with overlaps so you can find your location and check all your danger zones.

Just wait til they start burning the trash at Bowerman like they did in Newport Coast.  If they did it there they could always do it in Irvine:

County officials and Bren have allowed a gas-recovery company to burn the trash to generate power. Incinerating trash can have negative consequences for nearby humans through the release of dioxins and arsenic into the atmosphere. In January 2010, a decision to burn Coyote Canyon trash around the clock seven days a week doubled the cancer-risk threshold, requiring government air-quality officials to alert 200 Newport Coast households to the danger.
http://www.ocweekly.com/news/newpor...ng-ocean-views-and-an-arsenic-mystery-6421472

YellowFever said:
I think if the landfill is no longer active, meaning it is filled, completely done and over with, paved over, covered up, whatever, then it's probably a lot safer than an "active" landfill like Bowerman.  An active landfill continues to have trash brought in and creates gases and seeps liquids that they have to catch and deal with.

I know a lot of parks and baseball fields are built on top of landfills but kids seem okay.  Dirt does a good job of keeping out garbage toxins, but not TCE.  That's a whole 'nother devil.

Perhaps answering  the basic question; "High risk"... of what? - low appreciation rate? reduced quality of life? Longer escrow periods? Starbucks walkability? Those are environmental issues in most Irvinite's.... Irvininnian's... (SP?)  world.

Also shouldn't proximity to Earthquake Faults, Liquifaction Zones and Native American Burial Grounds / Veterans Cemetery be included?

My .02c

SGIP

Add to risk DUI arrests in area
Add to risk fatal shootings in area
Pollution from prior use of land as farmland

So, based on your "analysis", living in the Irvine Business Complex which is landlocked by the 405 (one of the busiest freeways in the US), 55, 73 and an AIRPORT; is less environmentally harmful than Woodbury, Stonegate and Cypress Village? Hmmmm....  ;D  ;D  ;D

YellowFever said:
By popular demand and request, a table showing all the popular neighborhoods and the associated risk. 

Each risk is ranked from 0 to 3.

0 - No risk
1 - Lower risk
2 - Moderate Risk
3 - Higher Risk

2) Air Pollution - Remember, the CDC specifically states that any homes near major busy roads are at very high risk.  So right off the bat think of major streets like Culver, Jeffrey, Jamboree.  Of course, consideration is given because Culver/Portola Parkway will be less polluted than Culver/Barranca intersection.  During rush hours these streets are highly congested and polluted.  Landfill air is not counted as this type of vehicular pollution as landfill has its own category.  Any other neighborhood that backs a freeway or toll road is also high risk. 

Also, for big neighborhoods like Northwood which can be far away from the freeway (bordering Irvine Blvd.) or very close to it, I would take "average" of it.  In this case a medium risk is assigned. 

30j1b3m.png

For Air Pollution, you give Woodbury a '1' and Cypress Village a '3'.  Something seems off there.  Also, there's a big difference between the homes that back right up to the freeway vs those that are between Roosevelt and Trabuco. 

Back