15 Signs You Grew Up In Irvine

Spoons!

Man... what a trip down memory lane (there is still a Spoons off of Grand in Santa Ana BTW).

So who ate at Taco Tuesdays where Trader Joes used to be a sister mexican place to the one in South County that spun off Javiers.

The green mountains in one of the pictures make me realize what a severe drought we are having right now

I didn't like that sumo buffet.  Wasn't it a chain, another one near south coast. 

For a brief period of time, there was a mini putt practice area near where Taleo/Houstons but with real grass and real putters. Very short lived.

The Irvine Ice Skating rink?

When Woodbridge and Northwood had a Vons/Pavilions.

Waters restaurant.

Anyone remember Penguins or Heidi's froyo?

irvine bowling lane used to be a roller skate rink with arcades in the 80s. it was so fun they had disco lights and music

ocbird said:
irvine bowling lane used to be a roller skate rink with arcades in the 80s. it was so fun they had disco lights and music
Well...you've officially dated me cause this is the first one I had never heard of / never remember. 

haiku said:
Oriental Kitchen. What I would pay to eat a plate of mucho hot chicken. If anyone knows the original korean owner or the recipe, please let me know.
Loved that place when I went UCI back then.  The owner was kind of mean but after like 50 visits he started to be friendly haha... fired chicken combo with noodle is the best with their killer sauce  :D

How about that Irvine Valley Cafe before Lollicup in the corner of that plaza where the Thai Cafe is..  used to go there after my school some some tapioca milk tea and popcorn chicken  :D

Was it called Irvine Valley Cafe? I went there for the shaved ice dessert.

The Thai Cafe used to be El Conejo, they had the best specials, but The Rabbit is a weird name for a Mexican eatery.

What was the name of the pizza place across the street in the 99 Ranch center? They had $1 slices. The Shabu place I think is there now.

One correction:

The bowling alley was always the bowling alley, the roller skating rink was where Boomers was before it was Palace Park.

Does anyone remember when Irvine didn't have a McDonalds or Taco Bell? It was just Carl's Jr and Del Taco.

irvinehomeowner said:
One correction:

The bowling alley was always the bowling alley, the roller skating rink was where Boomers was before it was Palace Park.

Does anyone remember when Irvine didn't have a McDonalds or Taco Bell? It was just Carl's Jr and Del Taco.
I Was wondering then same...when was that Mcdonalds in irvine center drive opened?

I think the McD on ICD was built about 20 years ago, in the 90s? Not sure when the one off of Main near the airport was built.

I think the closest McD back in the day was the one off of Bristol next to Sgt Pepperoni's.

irvinehomeowner said:
I think the McD on ICD was built about 20 years ago, in the 90s? Not sure when the one off of Main near the airport was built.

I think the closest McD back in the day was the one off of Bristol next to Sgt Pepperoni's.
The McDonalds on Irvine Center Drive is older than that. That McDonalds was there before the one at Alton Square went in and that one at Alton square was there at least 20 years ago. I've been a resident for 30 years or so and don't ever remember a day where the McDonalds didn't exist on ICD. The Alton square one went in when Alton Square was built (there was also a Taco Bell Express there when that center originally opened...right next to the Togo's which I think is still there).  My guess is that center is 22-24 years old. 

So maybe the one on ICD was built in the late 80s?

I vaguely remember being Irvine in the mid-80s and my dad was irritated because he couldn't find a McDs anywhere.

Yeah, one of the first things I noticed regarding food when venturing into Irvine many years back.  Where are the mcd, bk, jitb.  Only see Carl's jr.

Roger said:
How about that Irvine Valley Cafe before Lollicup in the corner of that plaza where the Thai Cafe is..  used to go there after my school some some tapioca milk tea and popcorn chicken  :D

You talking about Oshine cafe? If so, they retired but then recently just opened up another Oshine cafe off redhill in tustin. It's almost the same kind of Taiwanese cafe as before.

Back