15 Signs You Grew Up In Irvine

I didn't grow up in Irvine, but spent a lot of time in Irvine when I was younger and now live here.  I remember the spectrum when it was just the theater.

9. Irvine Police have nothing to do, so why not militarize just in case.  This was shocking to see in the OC Register.

o0m5gi-b88611070z.120160107185325000gtfe5peq.10.jpg

That site is pretty good.

It's got news on the latest food trends and those Top X lists for not only Irvine, but Tustin and Orange.

I wonder who is behind it.

The Irvine list is pretty accurate... I remember when WestPark II didn't exist and when the Spectrum was only an idea.

aquabliss said:
Gameworks at Spectrum.
Palace Park.
Wild Rivers.

These were the good 'ol days.
If my memory serves me right Gamework used to be Sega City in Spectrum?

Roger said:
aquabliss said:
Gameworks at Spectrum.
Palace Park.
Wild Rivers.

These were the good 'ol days.
If my memory serves me right Gamework used to be Sega City in Spectrum?
Yep.

And where Paul Martin's is was 1 or 2 sports bars? Fox Sports? There was another one too where CPK is.

There was also the food court at the Spectrum.

Anyone remember WokMan? There used to be 2 locations in Irvine.

There used to be an ice cream store in the University Center... I forget the name. Also, a Bob's Big Boy was in that center near UCI where the Albertson's is.

Wokman next to the Old Miss Fields and the Golden Spoon.  Sega City was before gameworks and you had Fox Sports previously but also Champs existed. There also was the big music store that used to be where Paul Martin is. 

Another bar was Rock Bottom Brewery I believe (at Spectrum) plus you had quite a few restaurants that went out of business (Rodman's place, sloppy joes or something like that, and Wolfgang Puck was at the original spectrum too along with some italian place). 

Regarding #1, I went to movies there well before it was a $. Back before Westpark had a movie theatre.

Love that Woodbury picture.  Farmland all around. Sand canyon used to be a one lane road past the 5, lined with trees. Like visiting the countryside.  Stone gate was Hines nursery. 

Sega city, Game works. Sheesh.  They sure completely changed and added tons of stores in that area.

Oriental Kitchen. What I would pay to eat a plate of mucho hot chicken. If anyone knows the original korean owner or the recipe, please let me know.

haiku said:
Oriental Kitchen. What I would pay to eat a plate of mucho hot chicken. If anyone knows the original korean owner or the recipe, please let me know.

Logged in just for this. Great memories eating at Oriental Kitchen twenty years ago. My cousins were in frats/sororities back then and we ate there all the time. I remember the gruff Korean owner well.

Is Oriental Kitchen the one in that same Albertson's center near UCI where the Big Boy used to be?

There was a placed called Teriyaki Taro in Tustin that moved to that food court off of Main street in Irvine (I think it's now a Thai place).

jmoney74 said:
What was that club.. near UCI.. was it Metropolis?
Yeah...that was the club. Might have been another club there as well (like a pool hall)?  Maybe it was the same thing. Pretty sure I wasn't old enough to visit that establishment when it existed. 

irvinehomeowner said:
jmoney74 said:
What was that club.. near UCI.. was it Metropolis? 
Yeah, that was at the University Center.

And then strangely it turned into a clothing store with the same name (I think).

what really?  lol

Yeah i think there was a drug bust there and COPS closed it down. 

Anyone remember Beebop burgers (no idea how to spell it) over in the center where Mervyn's (now LA Fitness), Warehouse, pasta bravo, and target were?  And than there was a old burger restaurant where Inn and Out was (was a woody themed beach type burger place...probably been 25 years since it was there). 

I think the In&Out used to be a Twoheys.

I forgot the names of the other restaurants that used to be there but there was a chinese restaurant, Denny's (before Denny's it was something else) and the Taco Bell used to be a Taco Bell / KFC.

irvinehomeowner said:
I think the In&Out used to be a Twoheys.

I forgot the names of the other restaurants that used to be there but there was a chinese restaurant, Denny's (before Denny's it was something else) and the Taco Bell used to be a Taco Bell / KFC.
Chinese restaurant was Chinatown (at least one of them). And there was another place, chain restaurant where the Taco Bell / KFC was (Spoons or Forks or something like that). 

Back