MagicJ1zz said:
Happiness said:
Drivers who do not install front license plates on their cars are safer, better, and cooler drivers.

that would be me! been running plate-less for 7+ years now.  no tickets.

Front plates look fugly and only slows down a car.  haha

MagicJ1zz said:
Paris said:
The problem with Americans is that they usually don't have as much common courtesy on the road as say our German counterparts. It's the American attitude...I have the right to the entire road, it's my right to drive on any lane I choose, I have a right to put on makeup, eat my McDonald's, text or play Pokemon while I drive. It's my constitutional right... ::)

Germans on the other hand are very aware of the common courtesy road rules. They adhere to them strictly. They also enjoy driving and take it seriously so you bet the drivers on that autobahn are not distracted. They are there to drive. Right lane slow lane. Left lane fast lane or pass lane only. Someone is coming up fast behind you, that person will move right so you can pass. Common courtesy.

So German autobahn rules will never work here. The German driving test is also one of the most difficult in the world so half our drivers wouldn't be able to pass it.

My only contention with the autobahn because I did a euro delivery last year and drove 150mph on it is that it can be extremely dangerous due to it only being a 2 lane highway for a large portion of it. I was flying at 155mph, straight shot and a guy about 2 miles ahead was trying to pass on the left. Problem was he was passing only at about 80 and my beast of a machine was flying at double the speed. He was able to swerve back to the right lane quick and my massive brakes kept me from ramming him. But at those speeds a collision means death. So the 2 lane thing with unlimited speeds can be a disaster even with the excellent German drivers. Imagine that set up here?? There will be a lot of dead drivers on the road.

Damn, I always wanted to do ED (european delivery)!  That must've been an experience! 

Perhaps your near-death experience on the autobahn with ED is because you did not have "German" driver's training/licensing?  ;D ;D  A German dude might just say, ah just another day in the park.  JK.

Yes, you're absolutely right.  Americans have a shit mentality for driving, and the problem is compounded with all the immigrants we have as well in socal.

With your experience, I presume you put yourself categorically in an "above-average" or top 10% of the best Irvine drivers?  In that sense, you probably don't care for the AMGs and M3s doing 75+ on Sand Canyon on the left lane ?  You're like 75? pfftt. I've done 155 bitches! I'm in the class of the "Germans" !

You should do an ED at least once in your life. Best experience for car enthusiasts, esp German race car enthusiasts. Pick up the car and head straight to Nurburgring  ;)
After driving in Germany you'll be sad to come back to the roads here, esp in Irvine although to prepare you can try driving in Italy first before your transition back home.
most of the time I feel like I'm playing dodge ball driving iN Irvine. Always dodging the crazy idiot bad drivers.

USCTrojanCPA said:
MagicJ1zz said:
Happiness said:
Drivers who do not install front license plates on their cars are safer, better, and cooler drivers.

that would be me! been running plate-less for 7+ years now.  no tickets.

Front plates look fugly and only slows down a car.  haha

Agree! They need to make front license plates illegal. According to my dealership they told me their policy was to never drill holes into the front bumpers of their premium vehicles. My kind of dealership, which is why I gave them my business.

For those don't have front the from plate, don't park your car at LAX's parking lot.  The parking patrol at LAX will give you a ticket for no front plate.

Irvine Dream said:
Paris said:
most of the time I feel like I'm playing dodge ball driving iN Irvine. Always dodging the crazy idiot bad drivers.

Question of the day

"How does one dodge thyself?"

Stay home and get out on the road only after midnight. Caution, dont get on freeways even at those hours.

Cornflakes said:
Irvine Dream said:
Paris said:

Question of the day

"How does one dodge thyself?"

Stay home and get out on the road only after midnight. Caution, dont get on freeways even at those hours.

Sigh!!! Failure of attempted humor.

MagicJ1zz said:
Without having ANY statistical evidence to back my guess right now, I'm going to guess that the highest risk of accidents is caused by (in order of highest risk):

1) Drunk drivers
2) Driving while under the influence (drugs)
3) Driving while texting
4) Driving while putting on make-up, tending to the kids in the backseat while vehicle is stationary
5) Weaving in and out of traffic to pass people due to slow drivers (as evidenced in the video)
6) Blind spot accident (making a lane change without looking at mirrors/signaling)
7) Fender bender accidents - not stopping in time, failure to keep a safe distance
8.) Straight line speeder

Sorry, but I'm going to have to chime in with some actual statistical evidence.  I just pulled a collision report for the City of Irvine.  Here are the primary collision factors and number of collisions in 2015:

1. Unsafe Speed - 318
2. Automobile Right-of-Way - 140 (vehicles not yielding correctly)
3. Traffic Signals and Signs - 132 (running a red light or stop sign)
4. Unknown - 127
5. Improper Turning - 118 (making a turn where you aren't supposed to)
6. Driving or Bicycling Under the Influence of Alcohol or Drugs - 103
7. Unsafe Lane Change - 56
8. Unsafe Starting or Backing - 37
9. Following Too Closely - 27
10. Other Than Driver - 11
11. Pedestrian Right-of-Way - 10
12. Wrong Side of Road - 8
12. Pedestrian Violation - 8
14. Other Hazardous Violation - 7
14. Not Stated - 7
16. Improper Passing - 4
17. Other Equipment - 2
17. Other Improper Driving - 2
19. Brakes - 1

Total collisions: 1118

As you can see, unsafe speed (almost always speeding, but it could technically be driving too slow) is the primary collision factor for 28% of accidents in 2015 in the City of Irvine.  Drunk driving/drugs only accounts for 9%.

MagicJ1zz said:
It'd be nice to get a breakdown of the age, sex, income, and type of car for the speeder.  It could be interesting....

Sorry, database doesn't have income, but here's the other info (this is only for the party at fault):

Male 50%
Female 50%

<20 7%
20-29 27%
30-39 18%
40-49 20%
50-59 19%
60-69 6%
70+ 3%

Asian 15%
Black 3%
White 47%
Hispanic 20%
Other 15%

Toyota 21%
Ford 10%
Honda 8%
BMW 6%
Chevrolet 6%
Hyundai 6%
Nissan 4%
Lexus 4%
MBZ 4%
Volkswagen 3%
Acura 3%
Mazda 3%
Audi 2%
Jeep 2%
Kia 2%
Mitsubishi 2%
Chrysler 2%
Dodge 2%
GMC 2%
Volvo 2%
Mini 1%
Infiniti 1%
Fiat 1%
Freightliner 1%
Jaguar 1%
Mack 1%
Subaru 1%
These have 1 accident for each make:  Buick, Cadillac, Isuzu, Kawasaki, Kenworth, Land Rover, Lincoln, Maserati, Pontiac, Porsche, Saturn, Scion, Triumph, Yamaha

MagicJ1zz said:
YES!!

BMW and Asian group, one of the lower contributing groups!  That makes me feel good now!  ;D

White people, shocking!  47% !

It does seem true that blacks don't like to speed for several reasons, chiefly they don't want to attract attention from the po-po most likely because they got weed, narcotics, illegal firearms and hookers in the car. 

You need to retake a statistics course.  Just because "BMW" or "Asian" is a low % of the total number of accidents doesn't mean that they are better or worse than any other group.  If BMWs cause 6% of accidents, but they are 3% of the vehicles driving on the road, they are contributing significantly more than other makes.  On the other had, if they are 10% of the vehicles on the road, they are contributing less.  You're making a judgement based on only half of the information you need to make a correct observation.

choobacca said:
MagicJ1zz said:
YES!!

BMW and Asian group, one of the lower contributing groups!  That makes me feel good now!  ;D

White people, shocking!  47% !

It does seem true that blacks don't like to speed for several reasons, chiefly they don't want to attract attention from the po-po most likely because they got weed, narcotics, illegal firearms and hookers in the car. 

You need to retake a statistics course. 

You told him like it is.

Back