Primrose at Portola Springs

ajw522

http://www.villagesofirvine.com/Villages-And-Residences/Portola-Springs-Overview.aspx?type=neighborhood&Id=56

"Distinctive architecture and custom finishes make Primrose a must-see. One of Portola Springs? newest neighborhoods, Primrose will debut soon, so stay in touch!  Pricing anticipated from the high $500,000s."

Built by KB Home

24or4uh.jpg

2pzeh6o.jpg

savaf8.jpg

They look detached..  They look like alley loaded with the garages in the back.  Appear to be on the south side towards the southeast.  It's marked on the interactive village map.

I called KB because i was curious as well. they said it was a detached townhouse.  Given that it is detached and at that price point these are going to go like hotcakes.

Duh... should have looked at the map. I'm not liking the south side of Portola as much but I can see why they waited for Los Arboles to sell through before putting these up. That "high $500,000s" will probably end up as "low $600,000s" knowing TIC.

It looks like there are more Las Colinas lots too... there is a row and small area on the east side that I don't remember being on the lot maps they had.

Prices sound good but despite the KB PR about architecture--it looks rather fugly IMHO. There also appears to be no side yard  or front yard at all. For an alley loaded project, I would prefer the WB Stonetree homes--better exterior and you have some front yard you can call your own.

I like floorplans 2 and 3.  However, the lack of some type of yard/patio is a deal breaker for us...

I really like plan 2 and 3 as well.  They did a good job maximizing the space (4 bed/3bath).  Are you guys sure there is no yard?  Makes me think about my Coronado purchase now! Doesn't seem like these are on a motorcourt from based on the renders...

Eh... those guys are always critical of anything Irvine... it's like a sport for them.

If you look at the Primrose floor plans, you will see there is a sliding door to the right of the Great Room in all 3 plans. This tells me that there must be some type of courtyard or small sideyard area for each home. Also each one has optional windows on the opposite side indicating that depending if you are an end unit or not, you can have windows there, otherwise it probably serves as the sidewall to your neighbor for their courtyard/sideyard.

Although boxy, this is no different from numerous detached condo alley-access properties all over the new Irvine neighborhoods. So you can dig on the aesthetics all you want, the point here is they are trying to give you a detached product with lots of interior space at a low price point (much like some of the WBE homes). I prefer these over the tri-level products in the newer neighborhoods where the bedrooms are on different floors than the master. For a young family, it's important that all the rooms are on the same floor. And regardless of parking code (was unaware of bedroom count being tied into parking code), having 4 bedrooms doesn't necessary mean you will need 3 cars... and most people will appreciate that 4th bedroom when most other products only have 3.

Oh... and my own critique:

I like Plan 3 the best because of the downstairs bedroom and the upstairs loft. They should also put a sink in the upstairs laundry and a vanity area in the master (there is enough room).

The benefits of a box structure is you have more space for things like a loft and bigger rooms. I just hope they made the ceilings high so you don't feel closed in.

Since they are back alley garages, I think more could have been done with a porch type area in the front. I don't know how close these are to each other so there may be a reason why they don't want people hanging out at the front of their houses. And BK should be happier with these since they do have back garages.

Since we are talking BK's critique, I noticed there are no real TV walls!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plan 3 is definitely good. allows a 3rd bath, downstairs guest room and loft as well.

I'm sure it will have a courtyard.

scubasteve said:
cameray said:
cameray said:

I guess BK will always be BK! Can't please him!  Thanks for the link to that forum... i see a lot of you guys are posting over there too..

waitin4ever said:
I noticed there are no real TV walls!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have you tried a TV corner?

You can either put a stand or a mount with an arm and you will find it very useful. I find sometimes that a wall isn't the best spot because the way couches are placed are usually right angles to the wall in question. By having it in the corner, even if you have an L-sectional, both sides have a good view of the TV. And if you want a straight few, just move the arm to suit. Temporarily having the TV in front of the window at night when you're watching is fine and then you can move it back to the corner when you need to.

irvinehomeowner said:
waitin4ever said:
I noticed there are no real TV walls!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have you tried a TV corner?

You can either put a stand or a mount with an arm and you will find it very useful. I find sometimes that a wall isn't the best spot because the way couches are placed are usually right angles to the wall in question. By having it in the corner, even if you have an L-sectional, both sides have a good view of the TV. And if you want a straight few, just move the arm to suit. Temporarily having the TV in front of the window at night when you're watching is fine and then you can move it back to the corner when you need to.

IHO, what's a mount with an arm?

A fully articulating wall mount. It's for LCD/LED TVs (Plasmas too... but they are heavier).

The arm lets you extend the TV forward, move it from side to side, rotate it and tilt it. Highly recommended for corner installations.

these homes are similar size and pricing as coronado from WE anyone know  what the mello roos are...will they be similar to the other PS houses?

I bought several great articulating wall mounts for my TV's from Costco and www.monoprice.com 
I really like the one I put up in the play room for my son.  When he plays his Wii, we pull out and turn the TV toward where he sits and when he is not playing, We push it back flush against the wall so it becomes more out of sight.

irvinehomeowner said:
Although boxy, this is no different from numerous detached condo alley-access properties all over the new Irvine neighborhoods. So you can dig on the aesthetics all you want, the point here is they are trying to give you a detached product with lots of interior space at a low price point (much like some of the WBE homes). I prefer these over the tri-level products in the newer neighborhoods where the bedrooms are on different floors than the master. For a young family, it's important that all the rooms are on the same floor. And regardless of parking code (was unaware of bedroom count being tied into parking code), having 4 bedrooms doesn't necessary mean you will need 3 cars... and most people will appreciate that 4th bedroom when most other products only have 3.

Even at this lower price point we should expect more from a builder. Yes a box structure give you more interior space but come on...if you (i.e. the builder) dare to talk about great architecture at least make an effort to fix the fugly roof lines. They were better off leaving the sides of the home plain with a simple single pitched roof.

What is the deal with Plan 3 angled line going across the front of the home? Also on plan 2, the direction of roof pitch on 1st floor corner looks wrong. Unfortunately many people don't care at this price point and would be happy with a detached product in the right zip code.

I am happy to hear you get a dark private alley for a sideyard ;-)

Back