Orchard Hills School K-8...When will it expand?

Legit949

From my understanding, Orchard Hills K-8 has been "Stuck" at grades 5-8 for a couple years. Any idea when they'll open grades K-4?

89ad5f6a043adcc2c2e5838bcdbf2e41_zpsmz3eydeu.jpg

How would they ever squeeze K-4 here?  There are eight 5th grade teachers and their classrooms surround the elementary school quad.  Do both Hicks and Myford feed into this school?  At this rate this school seems too smal to ever expand into a full K-8.  Please correct me if you got more info, I'm just looking at this seriously for the first time.

Here's the response from TUSD:

Dear Mr. ps9,
  My name is Kathie Nielsen and I am the Chief Academic Officer in the Tustin Unified School District.  I am responding to your recent email on behalf of Dr. Greg Franklin.  In terms of opening the primary grades at Orchard Hills, we are monitoring the numbers closely to evaluate the number of students coming in at the primary grades.  At this time, we do not anticipate adding primary grades for the 2015-16 school year.  The long term goal for the school is to be a K-8, however we are not certain when the attendance area will generate enough students to do this.  In the meantime, we are pleased to offer Hicks Canyon as your home school. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thank you,
Kathie Nielsen
Chief Academic Officer
Tustin Unified School District
(714) 730-7301 ext. 309

I think I asked this somewhere else, but will their be a new elementary school eventually for IUSD residents of Orchard Hills as part of future Orchard Hills phases (e.g., in the next phase of the community)? 

Bullsback said:
I think I asked this somewhere else, but will their be a new elementary school eventually for IUSD residents of Orchard Hills as part of future Orchard Hills phases (e.g., in the next phase of the community)?

@PS9 From my personal experience with TUSD, this is the same line that they have given us and we lived in West Irvine for over 15 years. All those mello roos that paid for and my kids goes to a run down school in the worst part of Tustin. Tustin Legacy will feed into those older schools. I am not so concern about the school being old as long as the kids get the helps that they needed. In my case NONE. So as a warning, make sure you know which school your kids attending before making one of the most important purchase of your life.

I have posted the message under a different topic, but here it goes again...
The school is hoping to be able to open up at lease a class/grade in a year, depending on how fast the Groves sells.  Starting from K or 4 hasn't been decided yet, depends on the student body they got.  Given OH had only about 10% folks moved in when they did the head count poll (43 students signed up for 2015-2016), things will be quite different once Grove I is built out!  Walking to K-8 will should not be a dream  :)

Source?  If Hicks and Myford feed into this school they will not have the space for K-4, look at the room assignments.  There are eight 2nd grade classes in Hicks alone!

If Hicks is overcrowded with K-4 kids and OH is overcrowded with 5-6 kids, is there a reason they haven't split the difference and aligned the schools for K-6? It's really annoying and unnecessary.

Back