i HATE my cox bill

i have direct tv and use cox for cable phone. i pay 63.99 for cox premier (50 mbps) and 19.99 for basic phone +$1 non listing fee + $9 in taxes so my total bill is $94.  last time i called and just got frustrated and hung up. ive giving up hope on reducing this bill. i think my internet is discounted as i think the regular cost is $71.

good luck.

You guys should drop your basic phone and switch to Ooma.  I switched based on OS's recommendation on another thread.  You can port your existing number and pay about $3.50 in taxes per month.  It's not as good as a traditional landline but pretty close.. I'd say 99% as good.  I should have switched a long time ago, and I'm surprised not more people do.

Also, your phone number will be unlisted for free.

Agree with the Cox feelings and the random price increases.

We just completed a move and threatened to cancel and they still couldn't find a way to make their services reasonable. In the end, we now have DirecTV for TV and unfortunately AT&T for Internet. I still think Cox provides the best option for internet but I didn't want to deal with them.

Another reason to advocate for U-verse fiber and the elimination of any Cox/Irvine agreement. If anything, competition would be nice. Any upcoming City Council candidates advocate for this change?

I hate Cox as well but unfortunately, the practice is standard for all telecom/TV companies.  Get you in and then hope that the inertia/difficulty in switch will convince you to stay.  I just have internet through Cox...no landline or cable TV.  They call me a lot to try and get me to get the cable but I have resisted so far. 

My suggestion are:

1)  Threatened to leave Cox for another company.  Hopefully you will have the choice of going to UVerse/FIOS and Dish/Directtv.  I would get some price quotes from the alternatives so that you can get Cox to match services and prices.

2)  Go to another service and take advantage of their initial offer(s).  Then go back to Cox when those offers are up.

Have you threaten to move and talked to the highest level in their retention department ?  2+ yrs ago, with all supporting price details of competitors,  I talked to the retention dept supervisor .. not satisfied .. called another day and talked to another supervisor and she was able to give me I think 40% off all the standard monthly rates for two years (except the DVR rental stuff and add-ons which i think are fixed). 

When we moved last month, our low rates was also about to expire.  For the exact same service, the new customer bundle discount is about $15/month more expensive than our existing bill.  The person I talked to in the Cox store explained that he can transfer our old rates but once it expires in a few months, he said we most likely can't get even close to that rate and would also not qualify for the new customer deal anymore.  Just to make sure, I called cox over the phone and check if I could extend my current low rates and was told our rates does not exist anymore and we would get an increase in a few months.  So I went back to the Cox store to sign up, the guy also gave me a wireless router/modem combo for free instead of having to buy or rent it (used one though but its working fine,  he said it was a store display that they don't need anymore)

Anyway, here our Cox bill:
Advanced TV - $72.99
HBO/Starzz - $15.99
Preferred Internet - $61.99
Telephone basic + essential feature pak- $23.99
Contour - $19.99 + 8.50 per receivers
Bundle Discount = -64.97
Cox Home Security - $29.99

Our total bill is around $190 all in including the home security.

It seems the best way to take care of this is to:

Just flip every 12 months, so you can get the promotional rates.

I think you can just buy a DVR and plug it through your cable box.  That way you don't have to rent no more.
Here i'll help get you started.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=DVR

Also, years ago i had Adelphia before it was eaten by Time Warner.
I only bought internet from them and the tech didn't put the filter on the cable line, so I also had free cable tv.

Zubs plan would work if time wArner serviced the area. But doesn't cox own irvine?

WTTCMN - the good thing is dish installs are very easy in new construction. Set up dish on eave of roof, plug in the dish to the box on the outside of the house, they do sone stuff in your master closet where your cables are at and your set. No drilling holes inside the house.

Just last week I dumped Cox and switched to DirecTV.  I was worried about DirecTV after reading all the bad reviews and horror stories but it's been pretty good so far.

I got the Genie whole home DVR and 2 wireless Genie Mini's - I can easily unplug the Genie Mini's and take them to any room I want and still have whole home DVR and HD capability on the mini boxes.

I have a new construction home and the DirecTV installer used the cable marked "spare" on the box outside my house and that routed the coax signal to the main box in my master closet then we just split it from there to the main Genie DVR box in the living room. 

It will be easy to switch going forward, if after 2 years I go back to Cox, just swap the cable in the main box from the spare to the existing one and signal should come in the same as previous. 

I agree Cox bill's are rather annoying - and it's frustrating to have to rent a $10/mo huge cable box for every room that I want HD channels in.  With these Genie mini's they're very light and very small, they get HD and whole home DVR and I can move them outside, to the garage, etc.

WTTCMN said:
Good info aqua. Did u keep cox for internet? 

Yes sorry, forgot to mention - kept Cox for internet and use OOMA for home phone.  The Cox regulatory fees and taxes for home phone kept adding up.

Direct tv!  Btw can you use me as your referral?  Lol

You can get $200 costco gift card. Then call in before your install to add friend referral.

jmoney74 said:
Direct tv!  Btw can you use me as your referral?  Lol

You can get $200 costco gift card. Then call in before your install to add friend referral.

Signed up at Costco and already added the "referral", sorry J$

WTTCMN said:
Ok after discussing it over a romantic meal with the Mr. - we cut the cord on cox cable. Feels so liberating. Gonna see how life without cable tv is for a few weeks but we will probably jump on the direct tv bandwagon once I do a little more due diligence on it. If that's the case, I'll hit you up j$.
Welcome to the CLUB. I just subscribe to Netflix and Amazon prime. (Comes to around $15 a month for both)

WTTCMN said:
eyephone said:
WTTCMN said:
Ok after discussing it over a romantic meal with the Mr. - we cut the cord on cox cable. Feels so liberating. Gonna see how life without cable tv is for a few weeks but we will probably jump on the direct tv bandwagon once I do a little more due diligence on it. If that's the case, I'll hit you up j$.
Welcome to the CLUB. I just subscribe to Netflix and Amazon prime. (Comes to around $15 a month for both)

Ya - we have amazon prime.  May look into re-subbing to Netflix.  We actually never watch TV while my kids are awake - we do minimal screen time so cutting the cord does make sense for us.  The only advantage for DirectTV would be NFL sunday ticket.  The Mr. would love to watch his non-local football team play weekly.  Plus I do sorta like my TV but most of the stuff I watch, I can stream from the various sites for free.

outside of a few things here and there.. I feel like Prime and Netflix are redundant. 

Back