Your stories about people taking advantage of this situation

[quote author="SoCal" date=1236755758] She asked me to hand her her purse - it was a nice LV bag. :long:</blockquote>

Second hand expensive handbags and heels are creating new breed consignment stores in SoCal. Just in Beverly Hills alone there are 12 stores specializing in used LV bags and Manolo stilettos. These stores have a very low overhead since the store could adapt into any distressed retail center with awkward space where the rent is extremely low. Tenant improvement is zero since branding image is non essential. The showroom is minimally furnished and lease duration is seldom on a contract. The same merchandise is also listed and on Ebay in keeping the clerk busy with correspondence when there is no customer in the store.

[quote author="trrenter" date=1236818369]Peoples attitudes seem to be proof that a persons "house" is nothing more then an investment.

If it goes up they want to keep it if it goes down they want to jettison it. Evidently a friend of a freind just came into extra spending money. They are no longer paying their mortgage. They instead went on a trip to Vegas last weekend. They can't afford their underwater home and they can't sell it so they will just stay and not pay.

Yep lets bail them out.

I want a renters bailout. If a renter cannot pay their rent I want the government to come in and lower my rent to something I can afford. If I can't pay even after that I want to be able to stay for 8-18 months rent free. Whatever the average foreclosure time is at the time should be fair.

Equal rights for renters!!!</blockquote>

Just don't pay your rent and wait till they evict you, basically the same thing just not as long.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1236819797][quote author="SoCal" date=1236755758] She asked me to hand her her purse - it was a nice LV bag. :long:</blockquote>

Second hand expensive handbags and heels are creating new breed consignment stores in SoCal. Just in Beverly Hills alone there are 12 stores specializing in used LV bags and Manolo stilettos. These stores have a very low overhead since the store could adapt into any distressed retail center with awkward space where the rent is extremely low. Tenant improvement is zero since branding image is non essential. The showroom is minimally furnished and lease duration is seldom on a contract. The same merchandise is also listed and on Ebay in keeping the clerk busy with correspondence when there is no customer in the store.</blockquote>

Hmmm-m-m, bk, I think you just related the perfect biz for my wife to get in.

Hi,

I stumbled on the IHB"s site while looking for somewhere to live. Great site. This is what is happening to me right now. On 12/29/08 I responded to an ad on craigslist about a condo for rent. I went to see it and gave a Deposit to hold it until move in date 2/1/09 (500.00). I was told by the owners that they were selling the condo, but it wasn't sold yet, that it could take 6-12 months. So I did it, that was @ the time I could buy myself. It was a month to month lease, 01/28/09 We went to the condo and gave the owners the remainder deposit and first months rent and got the keys. We were suppose to move in the 31st after 2pm. The maids were suppose to clean it in the morning we were told. We arrived to the condo at 230 pm on the 31st, walked in to a dirty condo. Then opened the garage to find half the garage full of there stuff. We didn't have a problem with anything until the lady that lives downstairs from us says, why are you moving all that stuff in, I was told the condo was in escrow!! I was in shock. Well, We were warned about the lady downstairs, that she was alittle picky. ALITTLE, she complained the first night it was a saturday night at 6pm, we were moving things up the stairs and here she comes, she said "Could you guys not walk so hard on the floor", I almost --, well never mind that but, I figured that was why they moved people in that had a 5 yr old. They wanted to pay her back. Well one week later the owners came and got there stuff out of the garage, one more week we recieved a 30 day notice. We found out that the condo is a short sale property, it is still on the market, so why are they giving us a 30 day notice? We were told we could stay until it was sold. Then we asked about our deposit and they said well we will have to do a walk thru!! They left the place a disaster, it is in better condition now! What do we do? Why would they want us to leave if it is still on the market? Help I don't know what to do. My husband said to just let them evict us, I don't want any problems, but this is not right. We had all utilities, deposits, child in school, and we have to just pick up and go! They Lied to us.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

octeacher

That is truly awful. Of course, what is done is done, and I'm sure you've learned a lesson and don't want to hear it. I hate to say it but if I were you, I'd let them evict you, stay as long as you can. This is about the only chance you have of ever getting your deposit back (through not paying rent). Do not give them another dime, they have lied and cheated to get a little bit more money out of an innocent party. Maybe you'll get different advice from others, sorry, that's the best I can do.

[quote author="octeacher" date=1237776362]Hi,

I stumbled on the IHB"s site while looking for somewhere to live... </blockquote>

octeacher:

Welcome to the boards. I am sorry for your inconvenience, but I don't see how they lied to you. They said it <em>could</em> take 6-12 mos for the place to sell. That is just a guesstimate. Nobody knows how long it will take for a property to sell. It could take six months, or it could not. I am a little surprised that you feel inconvenienced by all of this considering it was your choice to move into a property that was up for sale and that you did so without securing something longer than a month-to-month lease. I hope you took pictures of the interior of the home or filled out an inspection report prior to moving in. These things are needed to cover your behind. I would not recommend over-staying your lease. Here is a link explaining renter's rights. <a href="http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/terminations.shtml">California Dept. of Consumer Affairs / Terminations & Evictions.</a> Generally, the landlord is not required to provide you their reason for ending your tenancy, only to give you written notice, which they have. If anything, I'd say this landlord is actually pretty honest. If they are losing the house, they could scam you into believing everything is just fine and to keep on sending your rent check to them until the sheriff comes-a-knockin'. If you have something in writing that says they agree to renew your monthly lease until the condo is sold and you have doubts as to the status of the property then perhaps one of the realtors on this site can help you straighten out those details.

Good luck with everything.

Yes, we did take pics, and we do have it in writing that we could rent the condo until it was sold. I really wouldn't have a problem with this at all if they were being honest about things. The condo is still on the market, it has not been sold yet. If they were losing the house, I would be more than happy to pay them rent until the bank kicked us out. I am on there side not the banks. No, let me say I am on my childrens side, I don't like uprooting my children. I don't like the fact that if they knew this from the beginning why didn't they tell us that it was a short sale? They let us believe they were just selling. I guess we were an easy target to get 3000.00.

Thanks

octeacher

[quote author="octeacher" date=1237776362]Hi,

I stumbled on the IHB"s site while looking for somewhere to live. Great site. This is what is happening to me right now. On 12/29/08 I responded to an ad on craigslist about a condo for rent. I went to see it and gave a Deposit to hold it until move in date 2/1/09 (500.00). I was told by the owners that they were selling the condo, but it wasn't sold yet, that it could take 6-12 months. So I did it, that was @ the time I could buy myself. It was a month to month lease, 01/28/09 We went to the condo and gave the owners the remainder deposit and first months rent and got the keys. We were suppose to move in the 31st after 2pm. The maids were suppose to clean it in the morning we were told. We arrived to the condo at 230 pm on the 31st, walked in to a dirty condo. Then opened the garage to find half the garage full of there stuff. We didn't have a problem with anything until the lady that lives downstairs from us says, why are you moving all that stuff in, I was told the condo was in escrow!! I was in shock. Well, We were warned about the lady downstairs, that she was alittle picky. ALITTLE, she complained the first night it was a saturday night at 6pm, we were moving things up the stairs and here she comes, she said "Could you guys not walk so hard on the floor", I almost --, well never mind that but, I figured that was why they moved people in that had a 5 yr old. They wanted to pay her back. Well one week later the owners came and got there stuff out of the garage, one more week we recieved a 30 day notice. We found out that the condo is a short sale property, it is still on the market, so why are they giving us a 30 day notice? We were told we could stay until it was sold. Then we asked about our deposit and they said well we will have to do a walk thru!! They left the place a disaster, it is in better condition now! What do we do? Why would they want us to leave if it is still on the market? Help I don't know what to do. My husband said to just let them evict us, I don't want any problems, but this is not right. We had all utilities, deposits, child in school, and we have to just pick up and go! They Lied to us.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

octeacher</blockquote>

Your story is very confusing to me:

1. you were told that the condo was on the market, but to expect 6-12 months for it to sell, and you could rent it until it sold

2. the neighbor told you as you moved in that it was in escrow <strong>(red-herring)</strong>

3. after two weeks of occupancy, the owner/seller gave you 30 day notice

4. you discovered that the condo is SS and still on the market <strong>(red-herring)</strong>

is that correct?

do you have a lease that spells out #1?

if not, it sounds like you are simply a month-to-month tenant and the owner is within their rights to give you 30 days notice.

<strong>(red-herring)</strong> = have nothing to do with the story/your rights

(caveat: IANAL, etc)

Back