Your home is NOT worth that...and here's why...

cletus_IHB

Thought it would be fun to start a thread pointing out listings at WTF prices... but instead of just saying "WTF"... post the home, and what you would consider comps (either other listings, or sales), and what you think the fair market value for the listing should be.

I'm having some fun with this and I'll start the first one out, and phrase it as a letter to the home owner. I'd love to see others. Please no personal attacks, and please don't just give your opinion... present some facts to back up your opinion... let's make for some good discussion.

If the owner or agent of the property happens to be on board, I'd love to hear the retort. (or any other agents can critique our comments :) )

Dear Mr. <a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Coto-De-Caza/27-Corn-Flower-St-92679/home/5822722 ">27 Corn Flower in Coto de Caza</a>, your home is listed at $2,799,000. Your home is NOT worth that? and here's why?

For starters, you've got 16 Corn Flower right down the street from you, similar square footage and similar lot size, and he's listed at $2,195,000? he's been listed for 51 days at that price and has not sold. Now, his home is not worth that anyways, because that same home was purchased in January 9, 2007 at $1,900,000 and unless you have not been watching the news, home prices have come down since early 2007.

You've also got 8 Leatherwood nearby, while a slightly smaller model (200sqft), its got roughly the same lot size and is selling for a brisk $1,689,000? over $1mil less than your home.

If I look at sales in the last 6 months in your tract, you've got 7 RunningBrook at $1,475,000 and 1 Long View at $2,000,000. If I go back a year, you add 2 Leatherwood at $1,710,000 and 6 Corn Flower at $1,950,000.

I realize they might not be the same models as your home, nor may they have all the upgrades which your home has in them. But in most of the comps I listed, we are talking more than a 7 figure price difference.

The price range you are putting your home at, there have been 2 sales to my knowledge in the past 12 months, and there is a large amount of inventory on the market. In the $2mil-$3mil range, your home is the 5th most expensive in terms of price per square foot. 3 of those homes have over an acre of flat land and reside in a more desireable tract? but also are not selling at their price. Your home is a very nice, but very cookie cutter tract home with a small lot. There are many nicer, larger, custom homes with larger lots which are priced lower than you are.

Your home has been on and off the market for 2 years now. In a week your home will have been on the market nonstop for a year. It is listed ABOVE what you originally listed it for on August 15th of last year. To be frank, your home will not sell at this price.

There was a recent sale in The Pinnacle where a 5000 square foot home sold in less than a week, they were asking $2mil and received $1,840,000. This home while smaller than yours, had a larger lot and has a bit more general appeal than yours. It was also a model which is highly desireable and offers more curb appeal than yours. The quickness of the sale is probably due to this. I would consider you use this as a market indicator.

Based on the information listed above, I would recommend if you with to sell your home in a reasonable timeframe, that you consider pricing your home at $1,850,000 and accept any offer above $1,700,000. If the home does not sell in 60 days, I would recommend you drop the asking price to $1,750,000.

Take my opinion for what its worth. I am not a real estate professional. I do not represent your interests, and I do not know your situation? maybe you can afford to wait this out and believe the market will recover to be at or above the peaks reached in 2007. I am making the assumption that since your home is listed you wish to sell it in a reasonable timeframe, and are probably frustrated after two years as to why a beautiful home such as yours is not moving.

Sincerely,

C Delroy Spuckler

[quote author="Roo" date=1249700940]Are you going to mail that letter? I want to see the owner's face when he reads it. Would be hilarious!</blockquote>

Nope... point of this thread isn't to personally attack anyone. My thought was a few things:

1) People repeatidly point out on this board how a particular house is overpriced. I thought it would be interesting to hear from some people some specific examples, along with a justification of WHY its overpriced.

(HINT HINT... if someone else wants to post some examples, feel free... I've got a few more as well I'm considering doing)

2) As a consumer, I have my ideas on "fair market value"... I wanted to express it and get some feedback on if my thought it correct or not, especially from people who are more "professionals" in this business. I'll admit I'm coming from the buy side, so I'm gonna want prices down :) I'm sure some seller can post a thread of "why my house is worth more than you think ;) "

3) Ya, as you mentioned... maybe some people who have their home listed at high prices do some soul searching... might not be the owner of a specific property listed in this thread... but they could still learn the general thought.

Anyways... my point wasn't to pick on that specific owner, but to start a thread. I actually was thinking first of having 3-4 properties pre-written up so that people didn't think it was a personal attack or frustration on a specific property. He's just one I picked first.

You have no idea how much I would love to send a letter like this. Not to insult the seller but frankly to say I would buy your house if you were being reasonable and actually pricing your home based on factors like, square feet, location, condition, market conditions ect. Awesome letter!

Dear <a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/21-Ridgeview-92603/home/5928065 ">Mr. 21 Ridgeview in Irvine</A>, , your home is listed at $5,400,000.? Your home is NOT worth that? and here?s why?

For starters, don't get me wrong. We all love Irvine, and Turtle Ridge is probably the 2nd most desirable tract in Irvine (only to Shady Canyon). It has large homes (with yours being one of the largest), has great freeway access, some nice views, and has probably the best schools in Irvine. I'm not going to argue those points with you, because truly? how do you place a price on your child's education or a short commute? You can't? so I'll focus my letter to you on comps in Turtle Ridge and Shady Canyon, much like your realtor should have when they discussed price with you.

The first place anyone will look for comps is the same street. In this case, you've got a prime candidate 2 homes down from you in<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/25-Ridgeview-92603/home/5928060 "> 25 Ridgeview</A>. He's listed at $4,249,000, or roughly 20% less than yours. I don't know a lot about your area? his home is listed as an "Old Hollywood" model and yours is listed as "Plan 3"? looking from above, they appear to be the same model? this would be supported by the square footage being 15 sqft different. He's got one less bedroom than you? might be a bedroom converted to an office or theater room or something?? Either way, even if they aren't the same model, their specs are close enough that I'm going to have a problem with a 20% price difference. Now, you've finished off your back yard, whereas his appears to be unfinished. I've never landscaped a lot like this, but I'm guessing its no where near $1.2mil worth of hardscaping going on. Additionally, looking at the spec, you've got a 0.3acre lot and he's got 0.5acres. Of course, his lot is not a "premium pie shape lot" like yours is? maybe at an open house I can stop by and you can explain to my why this is a premium? I've always preferred square or rectangular lots, where you have equally nice front, side and back yards. A pie would appear to mean a small front/side yard. Maybe your lot is really 0.314 acres and you meant it?s a premium pi lot? something which the engineers of Irvine might truly consider a premium.

The other interesting thing about your buddy over at 25 Ridgeview, as you probably know, is he is bank owned, going back to the bank for $3.2mil in January. I'm going to admit I don't know a lot about the foreclosure process? but I believe that means at auction nobody was willing to pay $3.2mil for that home in January? maybe the house was trashed and they fixed it up. I'm gonna guess they didn't put $1.2mil into it, because if they did I would expect some grass in the back yard.

OK, next place on a comp would be to look at your own previous sale. You purchased the home in late 2006 for roughly $4.3mil (new). If we assume real estate has been flat since 2006, you've made a nice 20% equity (minus anything you spent on upgrades)? not bad.

So lets look at the rest of your street, since there are only 6 other homes there. The first thing that sticks out is for a street with 8 homes, we've got 2 bank owned homes and 1 with a notice of default on it. Only 1 (25 Ridgeview) is on the market? one can assume the other 2 will be on the market quickly. The other home went back to the bank at $2.635 mil? maybe they'll clean it up and market it up to $3mil, who knows.

Here's where it gets troubling? of the 4 homes (besides your own) which aren't bank owned or have a NOD on them, 2 appear to be interest only loans of some fashion. Those are typically red flags. Maybe they don't all become destressed, lets assume one does. That means we are looking at potentially 5 homes on the market of 8 (yours, the 2 REOs, the NOD, and one of the two IO's) If you are serious about selling, you would probably want to price it to move because competition is most likely coming. (I'll give a few people on your street credit, there are some people who appear to be in good shape and deserve a thumbs up)

Next, let's look at average selling price of homes. Since the tract is so new, there does not appear to be any natural sale since it opened, as expected. When the homes came out in late 2006, they were sold in the high 3's and low 4's. The highest I can find for a home sale on your street is your home, at $4.3mil. That's the height of the bubble? you probably would want to consider that potentially as a ceiling for your home.

So, what about other areas? I figured for fun, I'd see what $5.4mil buys me in Shady Canyon, since most likely anyone looking at your home for $5.4mil would probably check Shady out as well. What can $5mil get me in Shady Canyon?

<A href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/65-Canyon-Crk-92603/home/5929756">65 Canyon Creek </A>(6700 square feet, 1/2 acre, $4.488 mil)

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/67-Canyon-Crk-92603/home/5929758 ">67 Canyon Creek</A> (6362 square feet, 1/2 acre, $3.795 mil)

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/46-Echo-Gln-92603/home/5958013 ">46 Echo Glen</A> (6055 square feet, 1/2 acre, $3.95mil)

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/41-Golden-Eagle-92603/home/5856053 ">41 Golden Eagle</A> (7000 square feet, 0.77acres, $3.9mil)

<a href="http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/54-Copper-Crk-92603/home/5855941 ">54 Copper Creek</A> (5800 square feet, 0.6 acres, $4.3mil)

Now, I haven't seen any of those homes. Maybe some have some issues? odds are some don't. I've been to Shady Canyon and seen many homes there, and I'm guessing of those 5 at least 2 or 3 are at minimum on par with your home (I'll actually guess numerous are nicer), and all are priced $1mil less than yours. There are some other comps in Shady I could throw up, but they are in the tract area? now while that might make sense because I believe your home is also a tract home, I figured I'd focus on the best of the bunch, because your home is obviously one of the best in Turtle Ridge, so to be fair, I wanted to compare to the nicest homes in your price range in Shady.

So what does your home have going for it? well, your listing has 28 asterisks in it, so that is worth something. You've got imported drapes. Now, my home has them imported as well, but they were imported from China? I'm guessing yours are probably someplace fancier. (Who knows, in Irvine maybe being imported from China is worth something?) You got a lot of the other upgrades I would expect in homes in your area? marble floors, hardwood floors, fireplace, pool, crown molding, epoxy floor garage, etc? listing those as selling points is probably like listing "leather interior" or "good sound system" on a Rolls Royce, so I'm going to say its not worth that much. Your pictures look nice. But you live in a nice area, and it looks as I would expect many homes in your street to look.

Enough of my dry humor and boring analysis? as I said, I don't believe your home is worth $5.4mil. I'm assuming since you have it on the market you want to sell it. If I'm your agent (and note, I am not an agent or in the business), I'm worried about the potential influx of inventory and would recommend you price to sell in the next 3-6 months. I would notice those homes over in Shady Canyon as troubling for you? most people would agree Shady Canyon is a nicer tract? they are custom homes with larger lots and in most cases larger floorplans. You'll want to price below all of them in order to sell. That caps you at $3.8mil. The other thing I would point out to you is that those homes have been on the market several months and haven't sold. Above $3mil, redfin shows only 3 sales in the past 3 months and 5 within the past 6 months. That's troubling because there are 28 homes on Redfin in Shady/TR priced $3-$6mil. Lets say we focus on the $3mil-$4mil range? I see 8 homes listed above 5k square feet? no homes in that range have sold in the past year? so I'm going to guess its going to be rough to try to sell at that price point. You've got a nice home though, so I'd say maybe for starters we give it a try listing at $3.3mil. At that price I think you will compare favorably to 23 Starview and 59 Grandview in your neighborhood. My gut says the home is still a bit high at $3.3mil, but we'll put it there for 3 months, and maybe consider lowering it to $3mil after that (we'll list it at $2.995mil just to say its under $3mil, but I'll kick back $5k to you on close to make it up). I'd probably prep you to potentially consider an offer in the high 2's. I need to win your business to list, so I'm not gonna get it by telling you to list it at $2.9 or something like that. But I'm just saying, there's really alot of homes that compare very favorably, not much moving, and some potential for distressed sales coming on the market. Unfortunately, we've also missed the summer sales period at this point...

Again, this is nothing personal. This is an admitted amateurs attempt to price a home. Take my analysis with a grain of salt.

What says IHB... at $3.3mil do we have any offers/interest?

Delroy

Back