Your chance to vote WINEX off the island!

[quote author="bltserv"]Dude your feeble attempt to hijack this board really sucks.

[/quote]

LOL!

Why would I want to hijack this or any other forum?

There are people I enjoy chatting with here. Outside of this community, there is only one other internet forum that I participate in - it's an Ebay community dedicated to exposing people trying to sell counterfeit coins on Ebay for anyone who is curious.

Can we just lock this thread and see what happens in the future?

I think some of the people who were offended have already made their decisions to not post here as frequently, which as disappointing as that is, is their right.

I know you (winex) are well aware of how you use your words especially in the vacuum of context and since you admit that yourself, would it be okay for you to try to temper that?

For example, regardless of the dictionary definition of "deviant", it can be taken in a negative connotation and as a community we should strive to keep that to a minimum. Granted, you may have been warned based on assumptions but are they really assumptions given the history of your posts on the IHB?

In addition, the lack of tone makes your posts look more insulting than I think you mean them to be... and again... since you are aware of that... it would probably be in the community's best interest to limit that too.

And... to be fair... these should be kept in mind by everyone and they are not hard and fast rules (as we know many of us break them). But in order to keep mod intervention minimal, I think these are the things we should try to follow to keep it civil.

As CK said... maybe we should leave the "hot" topics for other sites and reserve this place to talk about more important things like the lack of inexpensive 3-car garage homes in Irvine.

[quote author="winex"]
[quote author="Mojo"]I dont wish people like you would leave, but rather eventually come to a realization that your moral compass need not apply to anyone but yourself.

Establishing that homosexuality is "deviant" behavior (to use your words) shouldn't really be on your short list of things to impose upon other people. People cant change who they are, and bigotry or spiteful rhetoric on these issues is akin to racism on race issues.

On the other hand, this whole "should I stay or go" thread is nothing more than a big "HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT ME" thread. I dont go for the whiny [bovine excrement]. Make your own decisions.
[/quote]

This conversation might be a little more productive if you had a higher level of literacy. Let's start with the definition of the word "deviant"; From Merriam Webster's website:

http://m-w.com/dictionary/deviant

Main Entry: de-vi-ant
Pronunciation: -ənt
Function: adjective
Date: 15th century

: deviating especially from an accepted norm <deviant behavior>

? deviant noun

I didn't make up the definition of the word "deviant", but I do now how to use it properly in a conversation.[/quote]

While I appreciate the semantical discourse relating to the textbook definition of "deviant," you have completely failed to address anything relevant to the substance of my post. It would be interesting to see if you attempt to explain how your bigotry is not analogous to racism.

And taking a cue from you, I would suggest that you rely on more than just spellcheck to catch things like "now vs. know". I find it hilarious that you actually suggest that the conversation would be more productive if I had a higher level of literacy, and then proceed to ignore the "conversation" altogether. Further, judging by the composition of your posts and by what you've divulged about yourself, I don't believe its appropriate for you to attempt to demean my literacy level.

I also stand by my placing "deviant" within quotes because I believe the societal norms are changing on this topic. Its very compartmentalized by region, actually. I would argue that intolerance is the deviant behavior in the northern half of this state. In fact, a true poll, not just a voter turnout (which we know is not a true representation of the population at large, but rather of people inclined to vote) would show that such intolerance is the minority here in Orange County as well.

[quote author="winex"]Let's start with the definition of the word "deviant"; From Merriam Webster's website:

? deviant noun

I didn't make up the definition of the word "deviant", but I do now how to use it properly in a conversation.[/quote]

It's just like taking a trip down memory lane of the IHB forums. We almost got the old forum back. I see you switched it up to Merriam Webster instead of Dictionary.com. At least there is something new.

[quote author="Mojo"]
[quote author="winex"]

This conversation might be a little more productive if you had a higher level of literacy. Let's start with the definition of the word "deviant"; From Merriam Webster's website:

? deviant noun

While I appreciate the semantical discourse relating to the textbook definition of "deviant," you have completely failed to address anything relevant to the substance of my post. It would be interesting to see if you attempt to explain how your bigotry is not analogous to racism.

And taking a cue from you, I would suggest that you rely on more than just spellcheck to catch things like "now vs. know". I find it hilarious that you actually suggest that the conversation would be more productive if I had a higher level of literacy, and then proceed to ignore the "conversation" altogether. Further, judging by the composition of your posts and by what you've divulged about yourself, I don't believe its appropriate for you to attempt to demean my literacy level.

I also stand by my placing "deviant" within quotes because I believe the societal norms are changing on this topic. Its very compartmentalized by region, actually. I would argue that intolerance is the deviant behavior in the northern half of this state. In fact, a true poll, not just a voter turnout (which we know is not a true representation of the population at large, but rather of people inclined to vote) would show that such intolerance is the minority here in Orange County as well.[/quote]

That's exactly why I posted the definition of deviant for you. Now any time you feel a need to say that you aren't leading a deviant lifestyle, all you have to do is come back here and you will know that you are wrong.

[quote author="greencactus"]
[quote author="winex"]Let's start with the definition of the word "deviant"; From Merriam Webster's website:

? deviant noun

It's just like taking a trip down memory lane of the IHB forums. We almost got the old forum back. I see you switched it up to Merriam Webster instead of Dictionary.com. At least there is something new.

[/quote]

I wouldn't want anyone to accuse me of not embracing diversity.

[quote author="winex"]
That's exactly why I posted the definition of deviant for you. Now any time you feel a need to say that you aren't leading a deviant lifestyle, all you have to do is come back here and you will know that you are wrong.[/quote]

And by "you" are you referring to me? If so, its presumptuous of you to think that I am leading one kind of lifestyle vs. another. I dont need to be gay in order to feel a civic responsibility to stand up for the principles of individual freedoms and equal treatment under the law.

Your contextual use of the word "deviant" clearly gave it a negative connotation. I hope you realize that, even if we were to use your textbook definition, that deviant behavior is not always bad. At least I hope you would agree, or do you also protest the "deviant" behavior exhibited by Dr. Martin L. King because he was acting outside of societal norms?

Miss pretty stomped her feet and got the attention to calm the tantrum. Of course she's staying.

Back