Your $.02 on North Park

hoofhearted

Has North Park lost its luster since OH came about or is it still one of the nicer communities in north Irvine?
Would like to hear your opinions on it.

Also, is Talk Irvine a continuation of Irvine Housing Blog?
The members of IHB were so helpful and informed back in '08.

Hoofhearted said:
Has North Park lost it's luster since OH came about or is it still one of the nicer communities in north Irvine?

We lived in Northpark before moving to OH and when we did I know a lot of neighbors followed either selling or renting out their Northpark homes for the new home smell of OH. We personally moved for the better floor plan which worked out  for our family. But my husband still misses Northpark. It's a beautiful neighborhood with a warm sense of community. In terms of prestige, as the Hidden Canyons and OHs have come about I'm sure NP has come down the prestige ladder a bit. But We still feel like it remains quite a nice neighborhood in north irvine.

Hoofhearted said:
Has North Park lost it's luster since OH came about or is it still one of the nicer communities in north Irvine?

There's nothing prestigious about OH. No beautiful landscaping. Limited parks. Zero lot lines. Tustin Schools. Just overpriced homes with crazy HOAs.

Step away from the kool-aid.

Those view lots though...

Hoofhearted, nice name for a horse!  Remember watching an older clip on AFV with the announcer calling the race, haha

soyi said:
Hoofhearted said:

There's nothing prestigious about OH. No beautiful landscaping. Limited parks. Zero lot lines. Tustin Schools. Just overpriced homes with crazy HOAs.

The part of OH with zero lot lines is the Irvine school side. The Tustin school side is all SFR with no zero lot lines. Those particular Tustin schools are just as good as the Irvine schools. Anyway, if the OP is considering Northpark, they clearly don't care that much about being IUSD versus TUSD.

I beg to differ about the landscaping and design aesthetics of the different communities--curving roads, mature trees lining the entry roadways, backdrop of gentle rolling hills in OH,  versus flat, wide entry roads and gridded streets in Eastwood, and many of the other new Irvine villages. Roads marching straightaway in front of me feels like suitable for a military procession rather than homey, relaxing feel, and surrounded cheek by jowl by other similarly crowded villages.  But I guess everyone has their own personal preferences when it comes to aesthetics.

Regarding the OP's question about Northpark--I think its a beautiful community, and we looked a long time for a house there. The taxes there are less too, compared to the newer Irvine communities. However, it depends on what kind of floor plan you like--Northpark's tend to be the more old fashioned plans that were popular 15 years ago.  I personally like the idea of a separate family and dining room, but the ones at Northpark were a little too compartmentalized even for me.

Anyway, don't be so concerned about prestige. Find a place that works for you and your family that you will be happy to live in.

Just because the community is guard gated it does not make it prestigious.  NP was never a prestigious community to begin with.  Shady Canyon, Hidden Canyon, Turtle Rock/Ridge, on the other hand are considered prestigious community in Irvine.

Paris said:
Hoofhearted said:

We lived in Northpark before moving to OH and when we did I know a lot of neighbors followed either selling or renting out their Northpark homes for the new home smell of OH. We personally moved for the better floor plan which worked out  for our family. But my husband still misses Northpark. It's a beautiful neighborhood with a warm sense of community. In terms of prestige, as the Hidden Canyons and OHs have come about I'm sure NP has come down the prestige ladder a bit. But We still feel like it remains quite a nice neighborhood in north irvine.
Hi Paris,
We currently live in NP, I just threw this question out there because we're looking to sell soon, I was just curious to know what the esteemed members from IHB/TI had to say about it.
Since moving in '08, our house has appreciated, but was wondering if it's still an attractive community.

I love my current house and I will miss it dearly when we move. Aside from a few super snooty people that live here, overall, I really liked NP.

soyi said:
Hoofhearted said:

You're not lying. However, the homes are pretty grand, in terms of size and space, imo.

AW said:
Those view lots though...

Hoofhearted, nice name for a horse!  Remember watching an older clip on AFV with the announcer calling the race, haha

That's EXACTLY where I got it from! It was some old timey horse race and the announcer was going nuts, I was in tears after I saw that.

nyc to oc said:
soyi said:
Hoofhearted said:

The part of OH with zero lot lines is the Irvine school side. The Tustin school side is all SFR with no zero lot lines. Those particular Tustin schools are just as good as the Irvine schools. Anyway, if the OP is considering Northpark, they clearly don't care that much about being IUSD versus TUSD.

I beg to differ about the landscaping and design aesthetics of the different communities--curving roads, mature trees lining the entry roadways, backdrop of gentle rolling hills in OH,  versus flat, wide entry roads and gridded streets in Eastwood, and many of the other new Irvine villages. Roads marching straightaway in front of me feels like suitable for a military procession rather than homey, relaxing feel, and surrounded cheek by jowl by other similarly crowded villages.  But I guess everyone has their own personal preferences when it comes to aesthetics.

Regarding the OP's question about Northpark--I think its a beautiful community, and we looked a long time for a house there. The taxes there are less too, compared to the newer Irvine communities. However, it depends on what kind of floor plan you like--Northpark's tend to be the more old fashioned plans that were popular 15 years ago.  I personally like the idea of a separate family and dining room, but the ones at Northpark were a little too compartmentalized even for me.

Anyway, don't be so concerned about prestige. Find a place that works for you and your family that you will be happy to live in.
I thought the community was pretty impressive, but once we learned that the higher end homes(Trevi?) weren't in IUSD, it definitely dipped down on the attractiveness.
I wasn't concerned about the prestige, I can pretty much live anywhere, however, my better half can't.
I was just curious to know if a single family home can still fetch a million or so.

Roger said:
Just because the community is guard gated it does not make it prestigious.  NP was never a prestigious community to begin with.  Shady Canyon, Hidden Canyon, Turtle Rock/Ridge, on the other hand are considered prestigious community in Irvine.
I'll disagree because prior to OH, NP was the only guard gated community back in '08. Maybe prestigious was the wrong choice of words, the fact that it has guard gated entrances, maybe safety translates in a premium?

I'll also disagree that SC, HC are prestigious, more like elitist. =)

So OH part deux is behind the gates, Tusd side, part III is on iusd side, not sure if they have views, there are some small hills blocking the views?  OH 4, north of EW probably is the best one since it'll have unobstructed views and close to Woodbury town center and toll road entrance

Hoofhearted said:
Roger said:
I'll disagree because prior to OH, NP was the only guard gated community back in '08. Maybe prestigious was the wrong choice of words, the fact that it has guard gated entrances, maybe safety translates in a premium?

True that and do not discount the allure of the gate and especially among FCBs.

People love the false sense of security and elitism that gated community brings. :) 

lnc said:
Hoofhearted said:
Roger said:

People love the false sense of security and elitism that gated community brings. :) 

Haha! So true, but it does make it slightly more difficult to have your home burglarized. Unless criminals remove their tags and sneak in the community, I feel that there's less of a chance of your home being invaded, and if it does, that's what the 2nd amendment is for. *racks shotgun

lnc said:
Hoofhearted said:
Roger said:

Sure, it would be dumb to think that having gates means you can leave your purse or ipad in an unlocked car.  But I haven't met a neighbor or friend who lives in a guard gated community who wishes the guard gates weren't there.

Personal experience is that the gates make a huge difference.  Minimizes solicitors, less vehicle traffic, and likely theft deterrent (why bother with the hassle of getting through a gate when there are plenty of non guard-gated hoods you can hit instead).     

Smashed said:
lnc said:
Hoofhearted said:
Roger said:

Sure, it would be dumb to think that having gates means you can leave your purse or ipad in an unlocked car.  But I haven't met a neighbor or friend who lives in a guard gated community who wishes the guard gates weren't there.

Personal experience is that the gates make a huge difference.  Minimizes solicitors, less vehicle traffic, and likely theft deterrent (why bother with the hassle of getting through a gate when there are plenty of non guard-gated hoods you can hit instead).   

I don't know about theft deterrence but I live in a non-gated neighborhood and there are very very few solicitors.  In fact, the solicitors I have gotten were business already working the community and thus would have gotten through gates.

It's kinda of a hassle to have to people check in at the gate though.

My experience living in older non-gated Irvine neighborhoods was that I would get Jehovah's witnesses, kids (not from the neighborhood) selling candy, people selling newspaper subscriptions or services, etc.  And this was not on a high traffic street either.  Maybe I was just unlucky.

I've never had a visitor complain about the gates.  And personal experience visiting other guard gated communties (i.e. Northwood Pointe) is that it's not as big of a hassle as many people make it out to be.

NP will still do well for resale even with OH looming over it. It may have older layouts but the community is well designed with multiple pools, parks, and a beautiful central paseo. Schools are a wash since the assigned TUSD school are excllent (though I agree IUSD has better perception of quality). Also it has better walkability to trails and shopping centers versus OH.

Having said that it will likely always trade at a lower $/sqfoot versus OH. Which is good and bad: more value in NP vs OH or stigma of cheapie homes on the flat land. You can also never beat the location factor when comparing elevated/view versus flat lands or the subjective specialness of living near the avocado orchards.

Smashed said:
My experience living in older non-gated Irvine neighborhoods was that I would get Jehovah's witnesses, kids (not from the neighborhood) selling candy, people selling newspaper subscriptions or services, etc.  And this was not on a high traffic street either.  Maybe I was just unlucky.

I've never had a visitor complain about the gates.  And personal experience visiting other guard gated communties (i.e. Northwood Pointe) is that it's not as big of a hassle as many people make it out to be.

Gated communities in Irvine are still required to allow free movement of pedestrian traffic. You can walk into NP whenever you want.

iacrenter said:
Smashed said:

Gated communities in Irvine are still required to allow free movement of pedestrian traffic. You can walk into NP whenever you want.
The last time I walked over to the now defunct Hagen's(haha), the pedestrian gate was locked after 10pm. Not sure 100% sure, but I do remember the one on Portola was locked.

Back