Xmas gift ideas

Oh... okay... I guess I was thinking LV... which I think is much more than $100 (I'm not like a former TI male member who knows everything about designer purses).

SoCal said:
Although, I do think it's a nice idea to give them something not purely utilitarian but an excuse to splurge on themselves
This year my work group adopted 6 families from a shelter to provide gifts.  Each family is a mother with 2-4 kids, and each submitted a wishlist with 3 items per person.  I thought it was very interesting that 5 of the families had very similar, and VERY modest wishes.  Things like Target gift cards, clothes, school supplies, etc.  Basic needs, objects, and not brands.  The 6th family was a bit more high maintenance.  Mom wanted MAC lipstick, a Macy's gift card, etc, and each of the (4!) kids wanted some really high end stuff too (ipod, $150 Ninjago toy (for a 8-year old!!!), $60 XBOX game (you have an XBOX?  Will you share, 'cause I haven't justified buying a console for myself yet).  It was a list of things I mostly wouldn't even buy for myself or my wife, or my kids either, if I had any.  And we really struggled with it.  We wanted to do something nice, and brighten up the holiday a bit for kids going through tough times.  But there's something downright offensive about someone holding out a gold cup while negotiating for charity.  I didn't find out what we gave them, but I know we only raised about $160 per family (obviously I work with a bunch of cheapasses), so I suspect the 6th family will be disappointed.  Maybe they're from Irvine.  :D

daedalus said:
SoCal said:
Although, I do think it's a nice idea to give them something not purely utilitarian but an excuse to splurge on themselves
This year my work group adopted 6 families from a shelter to provide gifts.  Each family is a mother with 2-4 kids, and each submitted a wishlist with 3 items per person.  I thought it was very interesting that 5 of the families had very similar, and VERY modest wishes.  Things like Target gift cards, clothes, school supplies, etc.  Basic needs, objects, and not brands.  The 6th family was a bit more high maintenance.  Mom wanted MAC lipstick, a Macy's gift card, etc, and each of the (4!) kids wanted some really high end stuff too (ipod, $150 Ninjago toy (for a 8-year old!!!), $60 XBOX game (you have an XBOX?  Will you share, 'cause I haven't justified buying a console for myself yet).  It was a list of things I mostly wouldn't even buy for myself or my wife, or my kids either, if I had any.  And we really struggled with it.  We wanted to do something nice, and brighten up the holiday a bit for kids going through tough times.  But there's something downright offensive about someone holding out a gold cup while negotiating for charity.  I didn't find out what we gave them, but I know we only raised about $160 per family (obviously I work with a bunch of cheapasses), so I suspect the 6th family will be disappointed.  Maybe they're from Irvine.  :D

Very nice to hear. How did you find these needy families? Did you work with a local aid organization?

I work for a large company, and connections were made by upper managers.  I believe they contacted the shelter directly, but I'm not certain.  I know we've adopted families from the same shelter in past years.  Other divisions in the company also worked with the shelter, so there was some competitive framing.  The company as a whole puts a pretty big emphasis on charity and community giving, and runs their own charity fund, to which employees can set up direct donations from our paychecks.  Like I said before, I was disappointed in the turnout.  I should verify the numbers, but I also heard that we collected almost half as much for gift cards for our 2 cleaning women as we did for the 6 families.  Nothing against janitors, but I think presents go a lot farther with kids than with adults.

irvinenester said:
We picked this up at Legoland for $180.  Looks pretty awesome.  My sister-in-law is going to love it!

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Star-Wars-10225-R2D2/dp/B007SA1QYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355813188&sr=8-1&keywords=r2d2+lego
51j2zBQs92L._AA300_.jpg

$215 on Amazon
Cool looking but it seems priced more for collectors than kids.

iacrenter said:
irvinenester said:
We picked this up at Legoland for $180.  Looks pretty awesome.  My sister-in-law is going to love it!

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Star-Wars-10225-R2D2/dp/B007SA1QYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355813188&sr=8-1&keywords=r2d2+lego
51j2zBQs92L._AA300_.jpg

$215 on Amazon

@iacrenter - even the kids stuff is priced for collectors.  You should have seen the wait list for people trying to buy the "Green Ninja."

spoiler #1: he's actually Lloyd Garmadon.
spoiler #2: he's actually the Gold Ninja.
Spoiler #3: he's actually IHO.

IrvineRealtor said:
iacrenter said:
irvinenester said:

51j2zBQs92L._AA300_.jpg

$215 on Amazon

@iacrenter - even the kids stuff is priced for collectors.  You should have seen the wait list for people trying to buy the "Green Ninja."

spoiler #1: he's actually Lloyd Garmadon.
spoiler #2: he's actually the Gold Ninja.
Spoiler #3: he's actually IHO.

You are right. All Lego is expensive. I got a gift of Mega Bloks for my kid's birthday. They are priced more competitively but the plastic feels cheap and dull when compared to Lego.

So who is still procrastinating?

I just started my shopping today... nothing makes you shop faster than not having any time.

The problem is some of the stuff the kids want may be gone.

South Coast was packed... I feel sorry for the parents who are bringing their kids to see Santa... the line was looping around the merry-go-round area.

Almost halfway done... might hit TRU late tonight.

irvinehomeowner said:
South Coast was packed... I feel sorry for the parents who are bringing their kids to see Santa... the line was looping around the merry-go-round area.

Almost halfway done... might hit TRU late tonight.

IHO,

I hope you got all your shopping done. You are braver than me. I'm staying away from all malls this weekend. I did most of my shopping on Amazon. Took advantage of my free 2 day shipping for Prime members.

Still only half finished... will hopefully get the rest done today. Most of our shopping is for kid relatives/friends so Target can usually accommodate that, plus ToysRUs is open 24-hours right now.

I'm worried about what to get for the adult relatives... but that's where I usually just get lazy and go the gift card route.

Back