Wow... Denied on car loan w/ 701 fico.

I tried applying for those "blank check" auto loans today... $50k used car loan w/ 701 fico, renting, $0 credit card balances, no current auto loan, 2 cars paid in good standing. 2 late pays on the credit report... Instant DENIAL... Not even an approval with a "subprime" interest rate. I was somewhat shocked... i know the credit marketing is tightening up, but man, something like this is unreal... man....

[quote author="buylowsellhigh" date=1210526875]I tried applying for those "blank check" auto loans today... $50k used car loan ...</blockquote>

The problem is probably that it's for a used car, hence greater chance for fraud.

Maybe they were doing you a favor. Do you really need three cars? Or maybe they thought that money would be better spent on a down payment for a new home so you can help stimulate the economy.

What's a "blank check" auto loan?

I thought auto lenders were still using fog the mirror criteria?

That's an awful lot to pay for a car. I would have to be sooo

rich to even contemplate it. Cars aren't good investments at

all unless you are buying a classic that you hardly ever use.

I agree, they were doing you a favor.

The goddess is telling you to put the payments somewhere

safe in order to have a nice down payment 2 years from now.

Sometimes you have to buy a car to fit your career. My husband is in sales and it's expected that he drive a nice car and portray the image of wealth. He would be looked down upon if he drove a practical car or if he wore a practical watch. He'll walk into an office and one of the first things the broker will ask for is what car he is driving now while checking out his watch. He works in a materialistic industry and he has to play the game.

A "blank check" auto loan is basically a loan you apply for at eloan, capital one, etc where once approved, they give you a blank check to write to anyone you buy a car from. Dealerships, private parties, etc. It will only get funded with the appropriate paperwork (title, registration, etc) it doesn't work like a balance transfer check.

And I have to clarify the "2 cars paid in good standing" statement. It was late and I was lacking a good way to phrase it. They were two completed leases in the last 5 yrs which is still on my credit record.

As for the car - I work within the auto industry, so I've never overpaid and I know how to prevent myself from getting screwed. Just like real estate agents with homes (or IHB showing us "good" deals), I've purchased cars, driven them for 5 yrs, and sold it at the same price. Thats a rare case and probably wont happen again, but most recently, my colleague leased a car, drove it for 6 months, and sold it at a price that recovered most of the lease payments. Another for $32k, drove for a yr, sold for $29k. Cheaper than driving a honda :). Another bought a '07 Dodge for 13k below sticker last year, and now selling it for $3k profit!

These days there are so many REPOs and people getting out of cars, leases, etc that the cars are beginning to backlog in the dealer lots, and there are insane deals out there. The cars are not sprisingly high end german cars bought with equity money. A 2007 BMW costing $70k can be had for a little under $50k, less than 10k miles with FULL BMW warranty. 2006 BMW that went for $100k is selling for $50k, with about 30k miles. Again, full warranty. I can go on, and on, and on! And surprisingly, I don't sell cars nor do I own car dealerships. I just do business with them!

So.. I was actually just driving a beater car, ready to pull the trigger on some homes, but I figured, screw it, get the car first, and if i find something, sell it if the cash flow warrants it.

Now... I JUST need a friggen loan :)

Back