would you take your kids (middle or high school) out of school for vacation?

pricedoutJay

This may sound crazy in IUSD, but did anyone take a middle or high school kid out of school to go on a family vacation (somethin worthwhile like different culture, exploring natural beauty, not lounging at a resort pool or getting rides at amusement parks)?  I know it depends on a kid and circumstances but still curious because I'm thinking about it to minimize schedule complexity and save $$$$.

What was your kids experience in either making up schools work or doing them in advance?

Also if you are willing, which option would you choose, 1) taking one kid out of school for 1 week in August, or 2) taking two kids out of school for 3 days in Thanksgiving week?  Thanks to IUSD's ever changing school year to year, my plan was messed up.  Last year both of my kids were off school the entire week of Thanksgiving but this year, back to Thur and Fri only...

I heard that schools like parents to take out their kids for 1 week instead of 1-3 days.  It probably has something to do with attendance and funding.

We have done 2 weeks off post-Christmas break. I know of other parents who have done something similar. Both the teacher and the principal have to be approve the time off. The teacher will give a homework packet so that your child doesn't fall behind much.

pricedoutJay said:
Thanks to IUSD's ever changing school year to year, my plan was messed up.  Last year both of my kids were off school the entire week of Thanksgiving but this year, back to Thur and Fri only...
I don't remember that... was this for a year-round schedule? I'm assuming so since you mentioned your kid is going to school in August.

I would do the 3 days prior to Thanksgiving because work-wise it's less vacation days and weather-wise, depending on where you are going, fall is more moderate. Plus schools seem to have a lighter work load on a holiday week rather than a full week of school.

If you opt for option 1, how do you choose which kid gets the shaft?  Choose the smarter kid who can afford to skip a week of school or the dumber kid whose future isn't as bright anyway?  Or do you do a coin flip?

irvinehomeowner said:
pricedoutJay said:
Thanks to IUSD's ever changing school year to year, my plan was messed up.  Last year both of my kids were off school the entire week of Thanksgiving but this year, back to Thur and Fri only...
I don't remember that... was this for a year-round schedule? I'm assuming so since you mentioned your kid is going to school in August.

I would do the 3 days prior to Thanksgiving because work-wise it's less vacation days and weather-wise, depending on where you are going, fall is more moderate. Plus schools seem to have a lighter work load on a holiday week rather than a full week of school.

That was due to the furlough days taken by teachers during the rescission to save the district money.  Basically 10 nonpaid vacation days.  Now the budget is back to normal, no more need for furlough days.

irvinehomeowner said:
pricedoutJay said:

IUSD did for all kids.  I had a 9th grade in traditional schedule and one in all around middle school.  They took the entire Thanksgiving off but not this year...

pricedoutJay said:
This may sound crazy in IUSD, but did anyone take a middle or high school kid out of school to go on a family vacation (somethin worthwhile like different culture, exploring natural beauty, not lounging at a resort pool or getting rides at amusement parks)?  I know it depends on a kid and circumstances but still curious because I'm thinking about it to minimize schedule complexity and save $$$$.

What was your kids experience in either making up schools work or doing them in advance?

Also if you are willing, which option would you choose, 1) taking one kid out of school for 1 week in August, or 2) taking two kids out of school for 3 days in Thanksgiving week?  Thanks to IUSD's ever changing school year to year, my plan was messed up.  Last year both of my kids were off school the entire week of Thanksgiving but this year, back to Thur and Fri only...

Take Thanksgiving week off.
I'm sure your kids won't be the only ones taking vacation that week.  Teachers will be anticipating that and will be assigning light work that week.

Yes I have.  One time for one week and another time for two weeks.
If you contact the school office a month ahead of time, the teacher will put together a work pack and your child (and you too) have to sign the agreement that they will get the work done and turn it in when they return to school.  This way the school is able to continue to get their $40 funding per day from the state for your child while you are on vacation. 

It's all about the Benji's!

Read the school's policy on independent study contracts to give you an idea on how many days to miss. While this does create more work for the teacher, think about $20 to Starbucks, it is the best way to keep your student on track and for the school to receive the ADA funding. The sooner the teacher knows, oftentimes the better. Last minute requests will result in thrown together busywork which loses the value for your student.

Back