Would you live on major street?

My irvine house is only 4 houses after a stop sign on a tertiary street feeding into another neighborhood of 60 other homes. The acceleration noise is unbearable due to the traffic generated by only 60 homes.

rkp said:
thanks for the feedback all.  i knew it wasnt for us but its been very challenging finding a house that we could afford and at the same time felt like something worth all the $$$ we would be throwing at it.  the house in question:http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/20-Lookout-92620/home/5959307

ideal layout, big lot with our style of landscaping, CDS street, basically everything we want in a house....except trabuco.  if only this house was interior in woodbury at this kind of price, it would be a slam dunk...

Why not come to North Tustin, buy nearly the same size  place on a bigger lot and put in $200K of upgrades to get it exactly like you want and pocket the extra $200K?  http://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Ana/10771-Equestrian-Dr-92705/home/4767993

nosuchreality said:
rkp said:
thanks for the feedback all.  i knew it wasnt for us but its been very challenging finding a house that we could afford and at the same time felt like something worth all the $$$ we would be throwing at it.  the house in question:http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/20-Lookout-92620/home/5959307

ideal layout, big lot with our style of landscaping, CDS street, basically everything we want in a house....except trabuco.  if only this house was interior in woodbury at this kind of price, it would be a slam dunk...

Why not come to North Tustin, buy nearly the same size  place on a bigger lot and put in $200K of upgrades to get it exactly like you want and pocket the extra $200K?  http://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Ana/10771-Equestrian-Dr-92705/home/4767993

And it has a wet bar!

I drool for the lot sizes in North Tustin.

So used to seeing < 5000sft lots and then you Redfin North Tustin and you see ".31 acres"... that's 13500sft!!!! Doh.

irvinehomeowner said:
I drool for the lot sizes in North Tustin.

So used to seeing < 5000sft lots and then you Redfin North Tustin and you see ".31 acres"... that's 13500sft!!!! Doh.

I do, too. I like North Tustin. The lot sizes and the vintagey feel of the houses and neighborhoods.

Santa Ana zip code will shame my family in front of other relatives. Irvine will impress my peers.

No sidewalk and I like sidewalk safety because I am afraid to walk on the street and I only walk in the middle of a drive aisle in a busy retail parking lot.

I can't even drive well and how do you expect me to drive without streetlights.

My driving skill limitation exclude long distance driving so I must live close to freeway.

Irvine schools are much better than Tustin Schools based on API scores.

Maintenance and repair scare me.

nosuchreality said:
rkp said:

irvinehomeshopper said:
Santa Ana zip code will shame my family in front of other relatives. Irvine will impress my peers.

No sidewalk and I like sidewalk safety because I am afraid to walk on the street and I only walk in the middle of a drive aisle in a busy retail parking lot.

I can't even drive well and how do you expect me to drive without streetlights.

My driving skill limitation exclude long distance driving so I must live close to freeway.

Irvine schools are much better than Tustin Schools based on API scores.

Maintenance and repair scare me.
Were you eavesdropping on my conversation with my wife about North Tustin?

You forgot:

I need an HOA so that my neighbor's house doesn't look like a Jiffy Lube.

North Tustin is very nice and we saw a bunch of houses there at one point.  The lot sizes, the tree lined streets, and peacefulness was great but my wife has always lived in newer houses and just couldnt get past how old everything looked.  And now with a baby, she likes all the amenities that a master planned community offers.  With a stroller or a toddler using her tiny legs, woodbury is much more accessible and enjoyable than North Tustin. 

I had a house backing to a major street at one time (not as busy as Trabuco though).  Although it was quiet at night and during the mid day, it was noisy in the morning and afternoon during 'rush hour'.  I did not really have a problem with it but my wife absolutely did.  I was only annoyed when the Harley's and rice rockets decided to show how lovely and loud their exhaust can be.
I now live on an 'inner' loop and it is 'dead' quiet in my front and back yard (and side yards - no zero lot line!) where I can happily take a nap.  I could never go back to the street noise again.
Although you will get the house at a 'discount' compared to other similar houses in the neighborhood, remember when you eventually sell, you will have to sell at a discount as well and your buyer pool will be very reduced.  When I sold, there were buyers who walked out when they saw the house backed to the street even though the backyard was 'premium' since it was quite a bit larger than the houses which did not back to a street. 

Here is my challenge.  With a 5000 sq ft lot, you can see your neighbors very easily and the backyards dont feel private at all.  Without backing to a street or alley, how do you get privacy in an area like Woodbury?

davenlei said:
Although you will get the house at a 'discount' compared to other similar houses in the neighborhood, remember when you eventually sell, you will have to sell at a discount as well and your buyer pool will be very reduced.  When I sold, there were buyers who walked out when they saw the house backed to the street even though the backyard was 'premium' since it was quite a bit larger than the houses which did not back to a street. 
Yeah... we got ours for a discount compared to the other homes with the same exact floorplan but it was giant lot (that's the offset I guess for being next to a main road).

And it was an issue when we sold... I was home a few times when buyers would take a look. I would get "What street is that?" or "Is it noisy?". My answer was honest... "You can't hear it downstairs" :D .

The eventual buyers actually had no problem with it... I had asked their realtor about it and she said "They don't care... they just want the large lot and the fact that yours is upgraded compared to other ones" (all we really did was paint, replace the flooring (travertine/flooring) and put in a block wall fence around the entire yard (which was pretty expensive)). So we actually resold it for about 6% less than what we bought it for (not taking into account the realtor expenses and the "upgrades") and it went into escrow 2 or 3 weeks after we listed (I think).

So like  I said... noise may not be an issue for others but it definitely reduces your buyer pool (just like having no driveway  ;) ).

rkp said:
Here is my challenge.  With a 5000 sq ft lot, you can see your neighbors very easily and the backyards dont feel private at all.  Without backing to a street or alley, how do you get privacy in an area like Woodbury?
Simple answer... heavy blinds and curtains.

Like you said, Woodbury is "much more accessible"... that also translates to "dense" and "less private".

You can secretly dig out a basement ala Broadcom but you might hit a plume (that was for test).

Back