Work politics

Yesterday we had our company wide state of our company meeting. In one part the CEO mentioned to everyone that there would be a continuation of the pay increase freeze for the remainder of this year. At the end of the meeting the CFO pulled me to the side and told me in private that I alone would still get a raise. He told me that this would only happen if my boss turned in all of his performance evaluations. Also, he mentioned that I cannot tell my boss that I will be receiving this raise. Now these evals are already 3 months late and with no raises being given, my boss has very little motivation to turn these in. Last year, even though we get no retro he was 10 months late turning in the evals. I figure I got little to no hope of him even turning these in at all this year. How the hell do I play this one? Am I just getting screwed around for whatever reason? Can you guys see a way I might be able to pull off getting a raise this year?

Is it possible that some others have also been pulled aside and told the same thing? Offer consolation and motivation for some of the prized employees without actually having to give anything up, since they probably know there's no chance of those all those evals getting turned in.

It would be quite ingenious if that was their intention.

[quote author="acpme" date=1240961594]Is it possible that some others have also been pulled aside and told the same thing? Offer consolation and motivation for some of the prized employees without actually having to give anything up, since they probably know there's no chance of those all those evals getting turned in.

It would be quite ingenious if that was their intention.</blockquote>

I feel stupid now, your answer makes absolute sense.

thx

I dunno... just being cynical. In any case, you should still feel good about getting pulled aside and the positive comments from the CFO. If they did that with too many people, it would just come back to bite them if it leaked. If the raise comes through, good for you. If not, just take it as a pat on the back.

It does seem lame that the CFO puts it on you to get your eval from your boss. That being said, you might want to approach your boss and say that even though there are no raises coming this year you'd like to get his feedback on your performance and improvement since the last eval period for your own professional growth.

Say you don't want it to take too much of their time and even offer to draft your thoughts on this that they can leverage or edit as they see fit. It would be difficult for your manager to blow it off if you are proactively asking for feedback and are willing to do most of the work in regards to drafting it. If he doesn't agree or still doesn't get around to it - then yes, it could be a bluff by the CFO in cahoots with your manager.

In any case, good luck.

[quote author="NewToOC" date=1240965008]It does seem lame that the CFO puts it on you to get your eval from your boss. That being said, you might want to approach your boss and say that even though there are no raises coming this year you'd like to get his feedback on your performance and improvement since the last eval period for your own professional growth.

Say you don't want it to take too much of their time and even offer to draft your thoughts on this that they can leverage or edit as they see fit. It would be difficult for your manager to blow it off if you are proactively asking for feedback and are willing to do most of the work in regards to drafting it. If he doesn't agree or still doesn't get around to it - then yes, it could be a bluff by the CFO in cahoots with your manager.

In any case, good luck.</blockquote>

Funny thing is, I am very proactive with my evals and managed to get mine done early everytime. Problem is, CFO says I see no money until ALL the evals are turned in. I have to convince my boss to do other people's evals that can care less about getting one this year. FML

Agree with ACPME on this... its a ploy to say attaboy, but not really give any incentive..... I bet you 10$ if everybody turned in everything nobody would get a raise.....

I AM cynical because i've had all my managers completely lie to my face about raises.... ratbastards....

-bix

If you really want a raise, ask for it. If you are a prized/valued employee they will give it to you. It would cost much more to replace you than to give you a 3% raise.

I will buy you a lunch if you got everyone that joined since 04/04/09 to thank you on your original post of this thread.

Can't believe your CFO tried this craq on you. Don't want to beat a dead horse, but why would you, and you alone, be benefited from the completed evalutaion? If that is the case, I bet he is getting a much bigger pie than you when all the forms are turned in. If you are the CFO, won't it be more effective if you ask the one responsible to turn in the paperworks to get the job done, and promise him that he will get a secret raise? If you really like a fellow subordinate that you really want to give a secret raise to, you can hold back some of the money to the responsible supervisor, and channel it to the little guy when the paperworks are done. I bet the CFO is a pretty green, or he is a real dork.

Start showing up to work all dressed up. Disappear at lunch and come back with a big smile on your face. After a couple days they will think you're going on job interviews and they may take a raise request seriously.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1241048503]Start showing up to work all dressed up. Disappear at lunch and come back with a big smile on your face. After a couple days they will think you're going on job interviews and they may take a raise request seriously.</blockquote>

haha great idea, maybe I'll walk over to my boss all dressed up and ask if I can take a two hour lunch.

[quote author="upperlowerclass" date=1241049544]

haha great idea, maybe I'll walk over to my boss all dressed up and ask if I can take a two hour lunch.</blockquote>

Exactly! I've had to do this once before and it worked. Good luck.

[quote author="upperlowerclass" date=1241049544][quote author="SoCal78" date=1241048503]Start showing up to work all dressed up. Disappear at lunch and come back with a big smile on your face. After a couple days they will think you're going on job interviews and they may take a raise request seriously.</blockquote>

haha great idea, maybe I'll walk over to my boss all dressed up and ask if I can take a two hour lunch.</blockquote>

I would take it a step further and actually go on a few interviews (if possible) in light of the B.S. the CFO fed you.

Yeah, if you go thru the hassle, might as well go to a real interview. Never know, but you may end up with a double digit "raise" with a new job, even in this economy!

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1241094764]Yeah, if you go thru the hassle, might as well go to a real interview. Never know, but you may end up with a double digit "raise" with a new job, even in this economy!</blockquote>
Those with a job are in the most powerful bargining position in this economy.

Back