Work in office or remote?

What kind of position do you prefer?

• Work in office

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Work remote

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Hybrid office (more office., some remote)

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Hybrid remote (more remote, some office)

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Other (specify in comments)

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
However, I will bet everything I have that MOST people don't work as efficiently remote.
You can't say MOST... even before Covid there were already tons of people/jobs who work remote. Many sales type positions are remote and some jobs can't even be in an office just like some jobs can't be remote.

The one thing that in-office has that remote does not is direct oversight, and again, that still doesn't mean people won't just work as a "passing" grade in office either.

As other have said in this thread... companies are not bringing people back because they think it's better... it's because they already sunk the costs into office space and need to use it. And if you read the fine print... many of those big corps are not making them work in-office full time, many of them are hybrid because they understand the morale effect of remote work and the benefit of work/life balance.

I get it... I was like you 5 years ago where I couldn't understand why people just don't go into the office as I felt in-office workers are more productive. But times have changed and technology has evolved... remember what happened to Twitter when Elon forced everyone to work in-office... he even had to backpedal on that policy and make exceptions for talent.

But maybe that's what will happen... only the most productive people can work remote and all the slackers will be in-office... we will see how that works out. :)

As other have said in this thread... companies are not bringing people back because they think it's better... it's because they already sunk the costs into office space and need to use it. And if you read the fine print... many of those big corps are not making them work in-office full time, many of them are hybrid because they understand the morale effect of remote work and the benefit of work/life balance.
You know this sentence makes no sense, right?

Sunken costs into office space is already sunken cost. Using the office doesn't change anything. Forcing employees back to the office to "use the office space" will only ADD more costs because of maintenance and other costs. It won't save them any costs by forcing employees back to the office. WHY would they do that if the employees work productively remote?

And you were the one who mentioned costs saving of not using office a few posts back. I said that it won't save them anything because as you said, sunken costs.

The point I'm making, and it seems like you haven't got it yet, hybrid is fine by corporations, but remote if completely out of the question. And without in-office direct oversight, it encourages slackers to slack even more.

Also, you talked to pre-Covid remote jobs, well, those were MEANT to be remote jobs. But a lot of post-Covid remote jobs aren't meant to be remote jobs, but the employees just want them to be remote jobs. Sales type positions are meant for people who are self motivated. They work on commission. Other jobs aren't.

I would counter but you're in give no quarter mode so let's just disagree. There are others on this thread who are saying the same thing I am so I'm not the only one with this opinion.

I don't think I ever want to work in an office again and I'm neither in sales or a previously meant for remote job. Times are changing... but there will always be people who prefer the old ways... like ICE cars, cable TV and landlines. :)

I would counter but you're in give no quarter mode so let's just disagree. There are others on this thread who are saying the same thing I am so I'm not the only one with this opinion.

I don't think I ever want to work in an office again and I'm neither in sales or a previously meant for remote job. Times are changing... but there will always be people who prefer the old ways... like ICE cars, cable TV and landlines. :)
I like to goto office if the traffic is not too bad especially most of the commute is quite scenic with open spaces and green rolling hills.

I go to the office on a hybrid basis and I can tell you I am not nearly as efficient as I am at home. In the office I go to lunch with coworkers that is about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. I easily spend about 1 hour on non-productive office gossip. I spend 30 minutes driving each way. That is 3 hours I waste every day I go to the office. If it is truly about efficiency/productivity those are three hours that are wasted. I am assuming my scenario is very common. So I’m not sure how it can be confidently said that office work is more efficient/productive. On the office lease being a sunk cost, it definitely is but it still annoys people that it sits there empty. Human psychology sometimes trumps logic.

I go to the office on a hybrid basis and I can tell you I am not nearly as efficient as I am at home. In the office I go to lunch with coworkers that is about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. I easily spend about 1 hour on non-productive office gossip. I spend 30 minutes driving each way. That is 3 hours I waste every day I go to the office. If it is truly about efficiency/productivity those are three hours that are wasted. I am assuming my scenario is very common. So I’m not sure how it can be confidently said that office work is more efficient/productive. On the office lease being a sunk cost, it definitely is but it still annoys people that it sits there empty. Human psychology sometimes trumps logic.
Rent also needs to be paid every month. If it's owned, taxes/insurance/maintenance costs need to be paid each month as well. So while renovation costs are "sunken", the maintenance and rent/taxes costs are not.

Do you or your employer get value from the conversation during your in office time? mentoring? improved project communication?

And 3-CWG. Times are changing. Get used to attached condos like Delano. :)

Working remote is more productive if you're home alone or you have no kids or babies to take care of. Working on-site is more productive if that environment helps you focus more. Everyone is different and we can't say which is better since we all work in different fields. I guess hybrid is kind of like a middle ground, but for some people, even that might be inconvenient.

Working remote is more productive if you're home alone or you have no kids or babies to take care of. Working on-site is more productive if that environment helps you focus more. Everyone is different and we can't say which is better since we all work in different fields. I guess hybrid is kind of like a middle ground, but for some people, even that might be inconvenient.
Agreed.

I'm not betting $1 or $1000 on either way. :)

Do you or your employer get value from the conversation during your in office time? mentoring? improved project communication?
In the heirarchy of needs/wants from an employer they generally will have execution/efficiency at or near the top of the list. Culture is always below those two. I’ve been in meetings in my career at multiple companies where the C suite has made that clear. The things that are considered good for the employee (benefits, perks, culture etc) will alway take a backseat to increasing the stock price. If both can be accomplished at the same time great but if not then employee related items will be cut first. Most investors/analysts judge management teams on just that, stockholder returns. Employers try to rate/manage their employees using various metrics. When employees want to work from home and say they are more efficient suddenly company management teams no longer want pay attention to the data. They are hearing it straight from the employees and they choose to ignore it and counter with things that are harder to objectively measure such as being in the office will create a particular culture they want to have (or give the appearance of having), mentoring etc.. all of these intangibles are much harder to measure objectively but are used as reasons as to why it is better for employees to be in the office. Time and the job market will tell what approach will win out. I think the end state will be some sort of hybrid arrangement for most companies . I’m fine with a hybrid approach but for me at least it is not as efficient as fully remote. As others have said, it is different for everyone.

Having a 45 minute round trip commute is negated by the fact that I can get a snack 20 feet from my desk whenever I want, I don't have to make myself a coffee, I don't have to make myself (or drive to) lunch, etc.

I'm thinking if companies want people in the office, they're going to have to start offering crazy perks though.

When we were touring office spaces because we were looking to move about 2 years ago... all the places were offering or building gyms (with showers) and coffee bars.

They were really hurting for renters.

So I heard on the news that companies forcing back in office are causing people to sell their home. There is even an article here that references Redfin's survey (which only says 1 out of 10 move due to back in office policy):

Not really sure if it would be a loss considering in many areas prices have been flat or up if you bought when rates were low. And rather than sell at a loss, why not rent it out (since your mortgage should be low compared to rent) and then rent close to the office?

So I heard on the news that companies forcing back in office are causing people to sell their home. There is even an article here that references Redfin's survey (which only says 1 out of 10 move due to back in office policy):

Not really sure if it would be a loss considering in many areas prices have been flat or up if you bought when rates were low. And rather than sell at a loss, why not rent it out (since your mortgage should be low compared to rent) and then rent close to the office?
You know... I get the sense that "news" these days, tech.co not being an exception, is often more editorial, agenda, and cherry picked fact driven.

Sure, there's probably more than zero people who decided to buy a house with the expectation of permanent WFH life who are now finding their expectations incorrect and in a loss position, maybe before or after transaction fees. But that seems like a bet that didn't pan out that a person can take responsibility for. Not many clicks in that headline though. More clicks when there's a victim and perpetrator.

Last edited:
People buying houses to assume WFH is permanent made a mistake for sure and that needs to be called out as mentioned above. One gambled and lost. Take the L with pride.

Back