Woodbury Trader Joe's is Open!!!

Woo Hoo! I bought a stash of Spicy Ranchero Egg Salad today since they are ALWAYS out of it at the Culver store. The negatives: they only have 7 checkout registers. I need to swing by Culver tomorrow but I'm pretty darn certain there are more than 7 there. I can see this new store getting pretty darn backlogged in the near future...

oh...by the way, the el pollo locos store at Woodbury is no good!!....I have been there with my wife and it's never well cook. All mushy. Yuck! And what's with the thighs?.....they never give u that part...u know the buffalo wing part. What a rip off. =)

hey reason, i know what you mean on that el pollo loco. hey, have you been there recently? are any new restaurants open now? also, did anyone receive that booklet of coupons for woodbury center only to find out that half of the places weren't even open yet and the coupons expired... weird and untimely marketing by irvine co...

<p>Sportsfan,</p>

<p>Yes, recently been there. I only notice the Home Depot store, Staples, GNC, Starbucks, and a few unknown stores opening. But you're right, I don't see much else. And it's been like that for a few months now. Which is good in a way, I guess...hahaha. Don't want the congestion. </p>

Ya when is Jalapenos going to open anyways?? I keep calling the one in Tustin that we go to, and they say the same answer -- 2 weeks.

Panera has been open a while, as well as Chick-Fil-A. They are always crowded. The LA Fitness won't be open for a few more months but the Ralphs Fresh Faire just had a job fair so they will probably be open really soon.

So I went to the Grand Opening of the Ralph's Fresh Fare last night (thanks EvaLSeraphin!!!). Although I do appreciate good shopping as much as the next gal, I'm not usually one to be astonished by a grocery store. Well, this store astonished me. It is cleary competing with Whole Foods, and I have to tell you, it does a very good job at it! It's huge, and it's got so much that it even outdoes the store I used to frequent when I lived in North Dallas (snooty yuppyville at its finest). I mean, there is a wine cellar for cryin' out loud! I highly recommend you go check it out, just for sport if not for shopping!

One curiosity that really struck me was the type of person that was working in the store last night, versus the customers. The friendly, well-mannered young Latino man who handed me my Rachel Perry samples in the "Wellness Center" had what could have only been gang tattoos from his neck to both hands, knuckles, and that was just what was visible. There were many black employees which, sadly, is an extremely rare thing in Irvine. All the employees were eager, friendly, and attentive but clearly "not from Irvine." Or at least, that's how they looked, since they were predominanty black and Latino, whereas the customers were white and Asian.

I am eagerly awaiting the LA Fitness opening.

<p>Huh? Wow! The well mannered Latino man has "what could have only been gang tattoos." Please do enlighten us how his tattoos constitute belonging to gangs. Do share with us the gangs' names so we can kindly ask him to leave our neighborhood. And the employees were blacks? but "clearly not from Irvine." or "at least, that's how they look." Again, please inform us of that "Irvine" look. </p>

Get over yourself, "reason." There was no undercurrent of racism in my post. There are very few blacks in Irvine - that was a straightforward statement, not a prejudiced one. And it is in fact well known that tattoos all over one's body, including one's knuckles, combined with a shaved head on a young Latino man strongly suggest gang affiliation. So quit trying to pick a fight, 'cause I'm not feeling particularly combative this fine morning.

<p>irvinesinglemom,</p>

<p>Thank you for your detailed decription of the new Ralphs, it sounds very interesting. I was in the area for some Starbuck's and was wondering if Ralph's was open yet. I love brand new supermarket so I will head over today.</p>

<p>I STRONGLY disagree with you irvinesinglemom, tattoos all over the body and knuckles <strong>DOES NOT</strong> suggest an affiliation with a gang. You may want to look into the Tattoo Art Scene before you start stereotyping people.</p>

<p>Besides what does the description of the type of people working at the Ralphs even matter? </p>

<p>Irvinesinglemom. Tattoos on the neck and knuckles <u>usually </u>signify gang affiliation, but a lot can be drawn from what they are/say. Take it from one who knows. True, there may be some folks who like to "art up" their bodies, but in my line of work the tats you describe are the common badges of honor/loyalty to a gang. There are certainly folks who enjoy tattoos, but your instincts should generally tell you who you are dealing with.</p>

<p>Now before anyone jumps on me, I recognize that people can change their lives...and I'm all for it. Once a gang member, is not always a gang member. I personally wouldn't hire anyone with such visible tattoos though, would perhaps suggest they have them removed first then re-apply. The removal is free to former gang members if they know where to look. Just based on your possible unease over the tattoo'd worker, why would Ralph's hire him in the first place until removal ? Is this the image they want to project? My guess is that they might have a small applicant pool.</p>

was at the ralphs opening too. didn't notice anything particular about the people working there other than the fact that they were extremely upbeat. they also have a wine steward on staff, steve, who is very helpful. um... well, helpful to other people but not so much for me since, as bkshopr pointed out in another thread, i am a master in the field of bubbly and have no use for so-called supermarket experts.

that jazz band was pretty amusing though!

<p>"but in my line of work the tats you describe are the common badges of honor/loyalty to a gang"</p>

<p>Describe? All Irvinesinglemom said was neck, arm, knuckles.... Again not really the point... Even if this person had been in a gang (I'm not agreeing here about the tattoos signifying his affiliation) how does that even relate?</p>

<p>My question still stands... <strong>What does it matter what the people look like that work in the Ralph?</strong> </p>

<p>Everyone was helpfull, friendly and well mannered... isn't that what matters most?</p>

<p><em>"My question still stands... <strong>What does it matter what the people look like that work in the Ralph"?</strong></em></p>

<p>Well, I care about having a possible gang member in my midst. Call it what you will. Again, your instincts should help in determining who you are dealing with....simply a tattoo fetishist or a dangerous felon. My guess is Irvinesinglemom could probably put two and two together.</p>

uh so on brighter note, what did everyone think of the free samples? it really seemed like many employees were still learning everything on the fly... took a while to get my drink from coffee bean... when i asked a server what the recipe, he was clueless... prices were actually not too bad, not to the level of gelsons.

Back