Woodbury Montessori

OCgasman

I was wondering what the hell they were building in the back parking lot behind Walgreens and it turns out it's the playground for the Woodbury Montessori.  I know nothing about the preschool but I gotta say, that outdoor area looks nice with grass and play structures.  It's huge too.

The playground looks nice and big.  It's actually less square footage than the school is required to provide per State law for daycare centers, based on the number of students.  However, since not all students will be using the playground at the same time, it's not a big issue.

I am curious as to how parents like the school so far.  Can anyone who sends their kids to this school share their thoughts?  We initially enrolled our kids there but decided to send them to another school at the last minute.  So far I like the other school, but Woodbury Montessori is still an option if commuting turns out to be too much of a hassle for us.

OCgasman said:
I was wondering what the hell they were building in the back parking lot behind Walgreens and it turns out it's the playground for the Woodbury Montessori.  I know nothing about the preschool but I gotta say, that outdoor area looks nice with grass and play structures.  It's huge too.

I believe that is the new campus for Great Foundations Montessori (http://www.greatfoundations.com/). They are the same owners of the Montessori in the Northwood Town Center.

why need a playground at all? All Asian tiger moms that I know of want their kid to have light skin tone

moonchild508 said:
The playground looks nice and big.  It's actually less square footage than the school is required to provide per State law for daycare centers, based on the number of students.  However, since not all students will be using the playground at the same time, it's not a big issue.

I am curious as to how parents like the school so far.  Can anyone who sends their kids to this school share their thoughts?  We initially enrolled our kids there but decided to send them to another school at the last minute.  So far I like the other school, but Woodbury Montessori is still an option if commuting turns out to be too much of a hassle for us.

I have a great business idea....I'll open an Irvine Montessori with a large indoor playground.  8)

The Motor Court Company said:
why need a playground at all? All Asian tiger moms that I know of want their kid to have light skin tone

moonchild508 said:

irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
I have a great business idea....I'll open an Irvine Montessori with a large indoor playground.  8)
... and a music room.
Good thinking, I forgot about that.  So who's in with me.  I can take care of finding/leasing the location and have some capital I can put in...need some more capital and someone on the operations side.

I have plenty of "back up" copies of Dora, Kailan, Mickey, Umizoomi... Grab some bags of Dino nuggets from Costco and slap that Montessori sign up and ur made.

moonchild508 said:
I looked at them as well but decided to go elsewhere as well.  I live in WE, so it would be the closet one for us, but I wasn't really impressed with them.  I'm looking for future infant care and they've never done infant care before and just weren't prepared to handle basic questions about formula, changing diapers and sheets.  Didn't leave with much confidence.  I know of them from their other site and frankly didn't have a good reputation for using the Montessori Method. I've send two kids through Montessori schools in the last 7 years and and opted to go to Mission Viejo instead of sending kids to that school.  Started one out at CMA on the El Toro base, it's a shame that one closed down. 

Which school did you send your kid?

Marty,

We ended up sending our kids to Spectrum Montessori - our son is in the infant program and daughter is in the primary program.  So far we like the school.  They follow the Montessori method of teaching, more so than my daughter's previous Montessori school.  The teachers are nice, and the director and assistant director went out of their way to make my boy feel more comfortable at school.  (He is older than other kids in his room, so he gets a little bored being with the younger babies all day but isn't old enough to move up to the toddler program yet.  The assistant director takes him out of the infant room when she gets a chance during the day and helps him explore in the toddler room and playground.  We thought that was a nice gesture on their part.) 

cool.  That makes me feel good.  I picked that school too, just waiting for the baby to come which won't be until Sept.  They told me a spot wouldn't be open until April 2014, so we will just wait.  Keep me posted if you have any more insights down the road.  I hedged my bets and put us on the waiting at both Spectrum Montessori and Great Foundations, but feel much more confident at Spectrum, and would really rather put my kid over there.

Marty said:
cool.  That makes me feel good.  I picked that school too, just waiting for the baby to come which won't be until Sept.  They told me a spot wouldn't be open until April 2014, so we will just wait.  Keep me posted if you have any more insights down the road.  I hedged my bets and put us on the waiting at both Spectrum Montessori and Great Foundations, but feel much more confident at Spectrum, and would really rather put my kid over there.

Wow, I didn't know they had such a long wait list for the infant program.  I was originally planning to have my kids attend Spectrum Montessori while waiting for their spots at Northwood Montessori to open up.  Now I am not sure if I would send them to Northwood even if they do get an opportunity to go.  The kids seem happy where they are (relatively, the younger one still cries at drop-off and pickup).  I will keep you posted on school insight.

I live in Woodbury, and considered switching schools for the fall simply because of the location. I thought it would be great to be able to walk my boys to school since it is a 3 minute walk from our home, until I researched the school a little bit more. My children currently attend LePort Schools (and have been for over a year now) and Great Foundations doesn't even compare. I called around and asked other moms who have both looked into the program and tried them out and the overall response wasn't good. In addition, when I walked in to ask for paperwork and inquire about fall registration they were completely unorganized and understaffed. It looks like one hot mess over there.

As tempting it is to shorten my daily commute...I don't know why I would change schools. We are super happy with LePort Schools and highly recommend them. My children are doing so well, the teachers and administration are amazing and the organization itself is really passionate about Montessori and education in general. We just registered for next year and will sacrifice the drive for now!

Marty, they have 2 campuses with a Montessori infant program as well (and I have a couple friends who have placed their infants there instead of getting a nanny and they are really happy). They have 4 campuses in Irvine here's their site for anyone looking for a new school.http://www.leportschools.com/.Hope this helps!

My wife visited the school in Woodbury recently, she thought it was ok.  She only stopped by because her doctor's kid goes there as well and thought that was a good referral.  She didn't mention any disorganization but then she was only there a short while.  I still vetoed it just because it's not established, I assume it would have inexperienced teachers and/or disgruntled teachers that left other preschools.  Not a good combo.

ps9 said:
My wife visited the school in Woodbury recently, she thought it was ok.  She only stopped by because her doctor's kid goes there as well and thought that was a good referral.  She didn't mention any disorganization but then she was only there a short while.  I still vetoed it just because it's not established, I assume it would have inexperienced teachers and/or disgruntled teachers that left other preschools.  Not a good combo.

do you really think there are no disgruntled employees at the other schools?

qwerty said:
ps9 said:

No, I just believe new schools takes time to get established.  New director + new teachers + new environment + 100 or so kids + Irvine helicopter parents = too risky in my book

Especially when they charge similar pricing.. 

ps9 said:
qwerty said:
ps9 said:

No, I just believe new schools takes time to get established.  New director + new teachers + new environment + 100 or so kids + Irvine helicopter parents = too risky in my book

Especially when they charge similar pricing..
+1.  I think it takes awhile to get a good system in place and vet good teachers.  There's a reason some preschools have a 3 year waiting list and others don't.

OCgasman said:
+1.  I think it takes awhile to get a good system in place and vet good teachers.  There's a reason some preschools have a 3 year waiting list and others don't.

Yes, because herd think is strong, Irvine is dense, and much like gas stations, actually has way too few pre-schools for it's pre-school age population.

Snark aside, some schools and teachers are better matched with the needs of the children.  The fit between school style and child is as important if not more so.

And with that said, a bad preschool is only missing the bars...

Woodburymom said:
I live in Woodbury, and considered switching schools for the fall simply because of the location. I thought it would be great to be able to walk my boys to school since it is a 3 minute walk from our home, until I researched the school a little bit more. My children currently attend LePort Schools (and have been for over a year now) and Great Foundations doesn't even compare. I called around and asked other moms who have both looked into the program and tried them out and the overall response wasn't good. In addition, when I walked in to ask for paperwork and inquire about fall registration they were completely unorganized and understaffed. It looks like one hot mess over there.

As tempting it is to shorten my daily commute...I don't know why I would change schools. We are super happy with LePort Schools and highly recommend them. My children are doing so well, the teachers and administration are amazing and the organization itself is really passionate about Montessori and education in general. We just registered for next year and will sacrifice the drive for now!

Marty, they have 2 campuses with a Montessori infant program as well (and I have a couple friends who have placed their infants there instead of getting a nanny and they are really happy). They have 4 campuses in Irvine here's their site for anyone looking for a new school.http://www.leportschools.com/.Hope this helps!

Really strong first post...hmmm

I didn't send my kid to this school. Just want to share some of my thoughts on how to pick preschool. It's simple. If your kid loves his/her teacher, it's the school you stick with. Frankly I am not too happy with my kid's school: sub-par management, unfriendly owner, tiny playground, okay facilities etc. But my kid just adores the teacher. He would listen to whatever she says. And the teacher keeps in touch with us parents all the time so we are on the same page in terms of discipline and learning. My kid has improved a lot and loves to go to school because of the teacher.

The only problem is: you never know whether your kids would like their teachers before you commit to a school...

Back