Woodbury Comp Killer

Asian invasion is not a good thing for any market. Take the 626 Night Market for instance. It skews the real value of consumers goods. The street foods cost 4 times the norms because of people were hungry and the demand was high. To put that in another perspective : buying a can of coke or a bottle of water in Disneyland. The products are not any superior when one buys them from Disneyland or Albertsons.

There is no justice and accountability in China. The best way to commit murder is to send your enemy on a trip there and hire assassins to finish them off. This is common in Thailand and the Philippine. The playboy son looks like a future Woodbury resident.

Corrupted Chinese officials and their families prefer gated community for the illusion of security and privacy. I suspect a few Laguna Altura SFR buyers are of that nature.

Woodbury is too open and those section 8 residents do not help either.

irvinehomeshopper said:
The playboy son looks like a future Woodbury resident.

My prediction for Woodbury is that the SFR price will keep dropping but the low end condos will hold their value slightly better. Those who can afford Woodbury SFR will buy somewhere else for better schools, but I know personally a lot of young Asian couples without school aged children bought/buying in Woodbury. Conversely, I see people moving out of Woodbury once they realize how crappy the schools are.

The Motor Court Company said:
My prediction for Woodbury is that the SFR price will keep dropping but the low end condos will hold their value slightly better. Those who can afford Woodbury SFR will buy somewhere else for better schools, but I know personally a lot of young Asian couples without school aged children bought/buying in Woodbury. Conversely, I see people moving out of Woodbury once they realize how crappy the schools are.

I hear you.
It should be avoided at all costs.

irvinehomeshopper said:
The playboy son looks like a future Woodbury resident.

All he needs is the E55 Benz with the IRV888 vanity plate.
He?ll fit right in.
More Benzes here than Fletcher Jones  ;)

Woodbury Dad - I can't tell if you are joking or if you are serious.  Do you speak from first hand experience about Woodbury Elementary and can you be more specific?  I know people who have their kids at Woodbury and are happy. I have always heard wonderful things about Stonegate elementary as well.  Actually in general, I have heard really positive things about the Irvine schools and I know a lot of people who have kids in different schools.  I really believe that each person's experience is different anyway as we all look for different things.  My kids attend private school and attend some of the meetings thinking am I the only parent who sees the negatives?

Woodbury Elementary APIhttp://api.cde.ca.gov/Acnt2011/2011GrowthSch.aspx?allcds=30736506085344

Stonegate Elementary APIhttp://api.cde.ca.gov/Acnt2011/2011GrowthSch.aspx?allcds=30736506096192

2011 growth API difference is 36; Woodbury outnumbers Stonegate in terms of ESL kids, Hispanics and  socioeconomically challenged kids.

We can all debate the usefulness or objectivity of API, but for Irvine home buyers today, there is significant amount of them highly prioritize their decisions based on school API scores.

stonegate and woodbury are pretty much identical in location and stonegate has just as big of an apartments ratio as woodbury so what is causing the difference?  or are the numbers so close that its meaningless to look for a difference as next year, they can flip with woodbury higher than stonegate?

As MCC stated previously, the difference is "legacy" students.

Woodbury Elem also services older parts of Irvine because it used to be El Camino Elementary.

I think it doesn't need to be said that there is some correlation between socio-economic population and API scores... but I don't necessarily think that reflects on the quality of education at each school. A 900+ API is great compared to other cities.

OCMommy said:
Woodbury Dad - I can't tell if you are joking or if you are serious.  Do you speak from first hand experience about Woodbury Elementary and can you be more specific?  I know people who have their kids at Woodbury and are happy. I have always heard wonderful things about Stonegate elementary as well.  Actually in general, I have heard really positive things about the Irvine schools and I know a lot of people who have kids in different schools.  I really believe that each person's experience is different anyway as we all look for different things.  My kids attend private school and attend some of the meetings thinking am I the only parent who sees the negatives?

Yes, I was joking.
I agree with your statement.
Whether it?s choosing a school or a place to live, there are numerous options and I?ve always advocated (in the parenting and other threads) that people should do what works and fits best for them and their kids.

Frankly I won't deny there is a good chance in a few years Stonegate elementary and Woodbury will be at wash; as the legacy students move on and Stonegate will get its own students from Doria.

However, the gap between Northwood and Irvine HS is a different story. Unfortunately Woodbury kids feed into Irvine HS. If you look at the boundary map, almost all of Irvine ghetto villages feed into Irvine HS. Walnut is the designated ghetto drive in all of Irvine. I suspect neighborhoods close the 5 (which tend to feed Irvine HS) will stay undesirable and with lower home prices, will keep attracting lower income demographics and feed the vicious cycle. The establishment of Cypress Village will not help either.

Woodbury - King village of Irvine ghetto hoods

rkp said:
stonegate and woodbury are pretty much identical in location and stonegate has just as big of an apartments ratio as woodbury so what is causing the difference?  or are the numbers so close that its meaningless to look for a difference as next year, they can flip with woodbury higher than stonegate?

I don't want to be accused as a shill so I have to spread out my bashing evenly.

WoodburyDad said:
OCMommy said:

Yes, I was joking.
Whether it?s choosing a school or a place to live, there are numerous options and I?ve always advocated (in the parenting and other threads) that people should do what works and fits best for them and their kids.

Good point, I?m good with it.
Ultimately, I hope that you get what you want.
Wherever that may be even if it?s not Irvine.

The Motor Court Company said:
I don't want to be accused as a shill so I have to spread out my bashing evenly.

WoodburyDad said:
OCMommy said:

Yes, I was joking.

Regardless of API, ghetto-ness etc... if a Rosemoor Plan 3 drops into the mid $700ks... it's going to be very hard for us not to want to buy it (not 3CWG but at least it's tandem).

Back