Wood flooring experiences and recommendations

whome

Since I'm in the process of choosing flooring (I seem to be obsessed!!) I thought I'd start a thread where people could post recommendations of companies and engineered hardwoods they have had installed and loved/liked (or hated).

To begin, does anybody have any experience with :

1) Du ch?teau Ch?teau collection (finish : hard wax oil)
2) Castle Combe Westend collection (finish : UV cured oil). I am unable to find too much info on this line online (from users)

Thanks in advance

I check out Du Chateau during my hardwood hunting days but did not choose them due to the price.  Very beautiful floor but they are about 30% more expensive than most other brand I've look at.  I also really like their Vernal collections.

Another brand that's up there in term of price and quality with Du Chateau is D&M Flooring.  Check out their Royal Oak collection.http://dm-flooring.com/

I used a hardwood flooring from Pravada and really like them.  I used the wire brushed/matte finish hardwood from their Haute Courleur Collection that's similar to Provenza's Old World collection.  They are similar in terms of quality and price with Provenza but offer some colors that's a little differ than Provenza's.  I have this Silhouette color down stair, Graphite at master and Organza at kid's rooms.http://www.pravadafloors.com/HAUTE_COULEUR.html

Pravada Haute Courleur Collection - Silhouette
Silhouette_PP2.jpg

lnc said:
I check out Du Chateau during my hardwood hunting days but did not choose them due to the price.  Very beautiful floor but they are about 30% more expensive than most other brand I've look at.  I also really like their Vernal collections.

Another brand that's up there in term of price and quality with Du Chateau is D&M Flooring.  Check out their Royal Oak collection.http://dm-flooring.com/

I used a hardwood flooring from Pravada and really like them.  I used the wire brushed/matte finish hardwood from their Haute Courleur Collection that's similar to Provenza's Old World collection.  They are similar in terms of quality and price with Provenza but offer some colors that's a little differ than Provenza's.  I have this Silhouette color down stair, Graphite at master and Organza at kid's rooms.http://www.pravadafloors.com/HAUTE_COULEUR.html

Pravada Haute Courleur Collection - Silhouette
Silhouette_PP2.jpg

Thanks Inc! D&M flooring looks gorgeous - thanks for the recommendation.
I really like the Du chateau look. The vernal collection is lovely but relatively more expensive. One of the installers I'm vetting has a great price on the Du Chateau White Oiled from the Chateau collection (slightly more than Provenza old world because of the extra oiling that du chateau requires). However since our cabinets are white and granite is white, white oiled might not be the best color choice (though I do like it). I am still tempted, especially because of the good price.
Here's a pic of white oiled :
http://www.houzz.com/photos/4079589...Floors-contemporary-hardwood-flooring-detroit

We found a good color by Castle Combe (US Floors) whose finish is like the vernal collection but I'm trying to find out if people like these floors but there is not much info.
Here's a pic :
http://www.usfloorsllc.com/flooring-products/mayfair/

Those Pravada colors look very nice!

If you have white cabinets, white granite going with very light floors might not be a good choice because then your space will look washed out. You always want some contrast to make the elements in your space pop. I have light cabinets, light granite so my floors are a bit darker and walls are a light gray so there's some contrast that allows you to appreciate each element in your space. Just food for thought  :)

Paris said:
If you have white cabinets, white granite going with very light floors might not be a good choice because then your space will look washed out. You always want some contrast to make the elements in your space pop. I have light cabinets, light granite so my floors are a bit darker and walls are a light gray so there's some contrast that allows you to appreciate each element in your space. Just food for thought  :)

Yes - exactly! Our walls are sort of cream colored and look a bit brown in yellow light. We took some wood samples  to the new home and the slightly darker color did look nicer. The castle combe one is a grayish brown (though the gray is not obvious in the pic). I have started looking at other shades now but have to decide really quickly. Thanks for your input.

The castle combe looks really nice but since you have white cabinet and white granite, I would go for something slightly darker for better contrast.

Check out this Amelia model, see if you like the dark flooring with white cabinet contrast.  http://thenewhomecompany.com/sites/default/files/slideshow/6-Amelia-P1_Kitchen.jpg

For me personally, I would only use wood floor this dark at a very large home.  For smaller homes, I would use lighter, medium tone color so it will provide some contrast and at same time, make the room feel brighter and larger.

lnc said:
The castle combe looks really nice but since you have white cabinet and white granite, I would go for something slightly darker for better contrast.

Check out this Amelia model, see if you like the dark flooring with white cabinet contrast.  http://thenewhomecompany.com/sites/default/files/slideshow/6-Amelia-P1_Kitchen.jpg

For me personally, I would only use wood floor this dark at a very large home.  For smaller homes, I would use lighter, medium tone color so it will provide some contrast and at same time, make the room feel brighter and larger.

Hi Inc - we actually went to see Amelia and the other homes there just to check what kind of contrast we liked. I agree with you - we don't want to go that dark in our home as we wanted a more airy and open look. And since ours is in between the other two homes in the motor court we thought slightly lighter might be better for that open and bright look and feel.

I think we can go slightly darker than the Castle combe mayfair too. However, we did want an oil finish(either hard wax oil or UV cured oil finish) and minimum of 4mm wear layer. If we want this and don't want to break the bank,  that pretty much restricts us to Provenza Old World and Castle combe (we are getting the same price on both from one of the companies we are vetting). I have finally decided we should rule out Du chateau because of price.

If anybody has suggestions that could be cheaper than Provenza Old World (but with 71/2" planks, 4 mm wear layer and oil finish) please let me know!!

The other question is whether to do wood in :

1) whole house
2) wood downstairs, stairs, upstairs hallway and upgrade carpet in the bedrooms and bedroom closets
3) Wood downstairs and upgraded carpet everywhere else.

Thank you all so much for your inputs!

marutaro said:
Does anyone have experience with wire brushed floors + large dogs? Thanks in advance

These wire brushed flooring doesn't have that polyurethane clear coat so they hide the little scratches extremely well.  It will hold up the look way better than other type of flooring with almost no special maintenance needed.  However, there will be scratches but it just won't show unless you wipe the floor with a damp cloth and the slightly wet surface will reveal all the scratches. 

I don't have a large dog but a small hyper active terrier mix.  He's running around all day, play fetch, charge to the front door at the sound of door bell and I did not detected any scratches.  After 18 month, the finish still look like the day it was installed.  Until one day I was wiping the floor with a damp paper towel, the wetness reveal all the tiny scratches. 

lnc said:
marutaro said:
Does anyone have experience with wire brushed floors + large dogs? Thanks in advance

These wire brushed flooring doesn't have that polyurethane clear coat so they hide the little scratches extremely well.  It will hold up the look way better than other type of flooring with almost no special maintenance needed.  However, there will be scratches but it just won't show unless you wipe the floor with a damp cloth and the slightly wet surface will reveal all the scratches. 

I don't have a large dog but a small hyper active terrier mix.  He's running around all day, play fetch, charge to the front door at the sound of door bell and I did not detected any scratches.  After 18 month, the finish still look like the day it was installed.  Until one day I was wiping the floor with a damp paper towel, the wetness reveal all the tiny scratches.

I totally agree.
Easy maintenance of wood flooring is as important as its beauty. I have Provenza old world castle grey throughout downstairs and it's been over a year
I am pretty sure there are lots scratches and dents on my floors with runny kids and 2 dogs, but man.. they just don't show  ;D

Laniakea said:
lnc said:

I totally agree.
Easy maintenance of wood flooring is as important as its beauty. I have Provenza old world castle grey throughout downstairs and it's been over a year
I am pretty sure there are lots scratches and dents on my floors with runny kids and 2 dogs, but man.. they just don't show  ;D

That's good to know. We were originally set on wood tiles for the first floor, but the warmth of wood floors throughout is much more desirable.

lnc said:
marutaro said:

With wire brushed flooring can you actually feel the scraped wood or is it smooth to touch? The castle combe west end feels rough- i want to know if that is how it is supposed to be ?Thanks!

We went with Urban Floor -http://www.urbanfloor.com/
Beautiful engineered hardwoor floors with many styles and options.  Show room is in City of Industry near Rose Hill and they have dealers everywhere.

We got a great deal through the wholesaler on State College Blvd.

TJinOH said:
Beautiful engineered hardwoor floors with many styles and options.  Show room is in City of Industry near Rose Hill and they have dealers everywhere.

Are you referring to State College Distributors in Anaheim?

Thanks!

whome said:
TJinOH said:

Thanks!

Yes.  If you decide to look there, I can message you the contact info for the guy that got us the great deal.

TJinOH said:
whome said:
TJinOH said:

Thanks!

Yes.  If you decide to look there, I can message you the contact info for the guy that got us the great deal.

Great! I will let you know. Do they install as well or did you get somebody else to install your floors?

Was watching flip or flop and saw that they use state college distributors for their tiles and hardwood there.

Back