Women's Watches - What are YOU wearing?

NewToOC_IHB

I felt left out of the other thread.

Ok, ME FIRST!

Uh, I don't usually wear a watch but I have a metal seiko, a fun green leather band fossil, and scary rhinestoney one that was a gift. I'm willing to bet most if not all need new batteries. They sit lonely in the jewelry box.

I wore a cheap Armitron for many years. I haven't worn a watch in a long time and I've never had a nice one. I just reach in my purse and get my cell phone for the time.

Well I purchased a few watches for my wife.... she doesn't wear them much anymore so I wear them. One is a nice Gerrard Perragux. The other are a few vintage Rolex'es.

I'll post some pictures up.

-bix

Actually, I collect antique watches (the wind-up kind) primarily from the early 1900's-1950's. I like the Art Deco era the best. These antique watches are absolutely beautiful and most are one-of-a kind (due to their age). They do require periodic maintenance, but I find that they are so unique, it is worth spending the money to have them cleaned. It is quite satisfying to acquire a watch that hasn't been running in decades and have it restored to it's glory days. Many of my watches are engraved with previous owner's initials (or entire names). Lots of collectors do not like the engraved watches, but I think they are the most interesting. The most difficult thing about this hobby is finding a watch repair person who can deal with the manual-winding watches. It is a lost skill.

^ Wow! That sounds really interesting! Maybe you will share some pics sometime? I love wind-up time pieces. In my house, I use a wind-up schoolhouse-style Regulator clock with pendelum for time-keeping. I love the tick-tock and the hour / half-hour being announced with a dong.

[quote author="biscuitninja" date=1235201056]Well I purchased a few watches for my wife.... she doesn't wear them much anymore so I wear them. One is a nice Gerrard Perragux. The other are a few vintage Rolex'es.

I'll post some pictures up.

-bix</blockquote>

You wear women's watches?

[quote author="SoOCOwner" date=1235201405]Actually, I collect antique watches (the wind-up kind) primarily from the early 1900's-1950's. I like the Art Deco era the best. These antique watches are absolutely beautiful and most are one-of-a kind (due to their age). They do require periodic maintenance, but I find that they are so unique, it is worth spending the money to have them cleaned. It is quite satisfying to acquire a watch that hasn't been running in decades and have it restored to it's glory days. Many of my watches are engraved with previous owner's initials (or entire names). Lots of collectors do not like the engraved watches, but I think they are the most interesting. The most difficult thing about this hobby is finding a watch repair person who can deal with the manual-winding watches. It is a lost skill.</blockquote>

Yep, That is part of my problem with most of the wind up watches. The other is finding parts, some have one of a kind parts. I love the solid nickle pocketwatches. While not particularily expensive they are beautiful to my eyes. And of unique material.

I do wear womens watches sometimes, but not the very feminine watches. Something like the 30mm to 35mm watches. My wife doesn't like the TINY watches. So I oblige.

-bix

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1235202028]^ Wow! That sounds really interesting! Maybe you will share some pics sometime? I love wind-up time pieces. In my house, I use a wind-up schoolhouse-style Regulator clock with pendelum for time-keeping. I love the tick-tock and the hour / half-hour being announced with a dong.</blockquote>

Yes, I will certainly post some pics! I love to show-off my old friends. I'll work up a collage - stay tuned.

SoOCOwner, that is fascinating. Are the watches tiny? I have noticed vintage rings are typically much smaller than contemporary ones. I know people are bigger (read: fatter) today and I imagine bone structure on wrists and fingers has scaled up as well.

[quote author="biscuitninja" date=1235203403]

I do wear womens watches sometimes, but not the very feminine watches. Something like the 30mm to 35mm watches. My wife doesn't like the TINY watches. So I oblige.

-bix</blockquote>

All I can say is that you need to spend less time ballroom dancing, and more time at the shooting range.

[quote author="NewToOC" date=1235204195]SoOCOwner, that is fascinating. Are the watches tiny? I have noticed vintage rings are typically much smaller than contemporary ones. I know people are bigger (read: fatter) today and I imagine bone structure on wrists and fingers has scaled up as well.</blockquote>

The face or the bands? The faces start getting tiny towards the 1950's-1960's with the introduction of the cocktail watches. The earlier watches have the larger faces/numbers and are much easier to read. The bands vary. I have become quite good at changing/installing bands over the years. I have a fairly small wrist, so the size is usually not a problem when I buy a new watch, but sometimes I just want a different style. You can also find vintage bands (some quite beautiful) that will fit the old watches. I particulary like the filigree bands (usually elastisized). You just don't see that sort of workmanship today.

Not to sound like a snob...but I wear my Gucci watch for almost 12 years now. Still working just fine, replace the battery 3x already.

I haven't worn a watch in over 10 years. I keep meaning to buy one but only remember when I'm on a plane and can't look at my cell phone.

Here are some of my favorite antique watches from my collection. Sorry if I went overboard, but it isn't everyday that I find someone who is interested. Enjoy!

<a href="http://www.dovecanyon.org/watch/">Some of my favs</a>

[quote author="SoOCOwner" date=1235215456]Here are some of my favorite antique watches from my collection. Sorry if I went overboard, but it isn't everyday that I find someone who is interested. Enjoy!

<a href="http://www.dovecanyon.org/watch/">Some of my favs</a></blockquote>

Woah, Momma! Those are beautiful! My favorites are your "pride & joy" and the '20's Bulova w/ sapphire. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks to all for the compliments. I am very proud of my collection! The ones I pictured are only the tip of the iceberg. I feel like I am saving these watches from certain death when I buy and restore them. Some of the watches I bought in the excellent condition they were in, some were in good condition but were non-running. I had these restored by my (former) watch repair guy, who is no longer in business. I'm researching new places to have the work done, some online.

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1235213081]I haven't worn a watch in over 10 years. I keep meaning to buy one but only remember when I'm on a plane and can't look at my cell phone.</blockquote>

I am exactly the same way. I'm either at a computer, I have a cell phone handy or can see a clock on a wall 99% of the time.

I had a leather band Little Mermaid watch (I know, I know) that I wore until the battery died. I got the battery replaced recently, and then wore it until the band broke.

Now I don't wear much at all on my wrists because they bug me while I'm typing.

[quote author="SoOCOwner" date=1235215456]Here are some of my favorite antique watches from my collection. Sorry if I went overboard, but it isn't everyday that I find someone who is interested. Enjoy!

<a href="http://www.dovecanyon.org/watch/">Some of my favs</a></blockquote>
You have a BEAUTIFUL collection!

Back