Women stomped to death in Santa Ana

Tyler Durden said:
its not like senseless violence doesn't happen in Irvine.  and it is not constrained to any one ethnic group.  Last i noticed there are stupid people of all races / creeds.

the couple that Dorner shot lived across the street from the courthouse in Irvine (avenue One) in a condo complex with a gated parking deck.  Yet the guy got in there and shot them anyway.  Looks like Irvine's bubble didn't work that time and the real world got in.

Personally - i go to santa ana quite often.  Never once have i been afraid for my safety.  This is not Damascus, Kabul or Darfur where you need to worry about dying the minute you step out.

I find it ironic how many folks will come 1/2 way across the planet to CA (hardly the safest place in the US) and then suggest that certain places are dangerous.  Have you ever heard of Detroit, Baltimore or south side Chicago?  If you want to be safe - the only sure way of it, is to be away from other people.  Otherwise you are rolling the dice here or anywhere else.

I don't think there is a boundary for random violence but Santa Ana does have a higher crime rate, more gang issues, and a police department that is more taxed.  Also, Santa Ana have more nightclubs where stupid and/or bad things happen because the crowd is younger and potentially drunk/under the influence. 

I'm not really interested in the Santa Ana vs. Irvine crime comparison... I'm worried about how this kind of thing can happen in a public place with people and security present.

How anyone can just stand by and watch this is beyond me.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm not really interested in the Santa Ana vs. Irvine crime comparison... I'm worried about how this kind of thing can happen in a public place with people and security present.

How anyone can just stand by and watch this is beyond me.

A lot of "none of my business"

Tyler Durden said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Tyler Durden said:
its not like senseless violence doesn't happen in Irvine.  and it is not constrained to any one ethnic group.  Last i noticed there are stupid people of all races / creeds.

the couple that Dorner shot lived across the street from the courthouse in Irvine (avenue One) in a condo complex with a gated parking deck.  Yet the guy got in there and shot them anyway.  Looks like Irvine's bubble didn't work that time and the real world got in.

Personally - i go to santa ana quite often.  Never once have i been afraid for my safety.  This is not Damascus, Kabul or Darfur where you need to worry about dying the minute you step out.

I find it ironic how many folks will come 1/2 way across the planet to CA (hardly the safest place in the US) and then suggest that certain places are dangerous.  Have you ever heard of Detroit, Baltimore or south side Chicago?  If you want to be safe - the only sure way of it, is to be away from other people.  Otherwise you are rolling the dice here or anywhere else.

I don't think there is a boundary for random violence but Santa Ana does have a higher crime rate, more gang issues, and a police department that is more taxed.  Also, Santa Ana have more nightclubs where stupid and/or bad things happen because the crowd is younger and potentially drunk/under the influence.

it has more to do with socio economics than where someone lives.  Look at East Palo Alto.  Surrounded by some of the most expensive RE in the world.  Yet higher violence there than anywhere else on the SF peninsula.  Same can be said for parts of San Jose or Richmond in the east bay.  Less well to do folks are not worried about lengthy jail sentences a year from today.  They are focused on the here and now.  They typically get paid this way and often live paycheck to paycheck.  Is anyone shocked there is not a real sense of long-term implications for decision making when everything in their life is short term?

I refute nightclubs being an issue.  Do you see a lot of issues in Corona del Mar vs. Huntington Beach main street?  It has to do with your second point - the younger crowd.  In this case, the SA police should make a show of force with foot patrols, bike cops to quickly stop any incidents as they are occurring.

You would think they would have enough folks in the area since their HQ is downtown.

My point is that it's a combination of those things that create more risk.  It doesn't mean that something bad is going to happen...just that there is an increased risk.

Also, East Palo Alto is quite good now...it was bad before but now it's the hipster place to live.

Tyler Durden said:
lol.  if i was a hipster, i would want to be in SF or in Oakland.

Anywhere south of the city is pretty much siberia.

Now as a person tired of city life - i would move to Woodside, Menlo Park or Santa Cruz (assuming i didn't need to drive further north than Palo Alto) if i moved back there.

My sister lives in Woodside.. Absolutely gorgeous homes there.. Only good thing about Menlo was the badminton facility they had there haha..

Tyler Durden said:

Now as a person tired of city life - i would move to Woodside, Menlo Park or Santa Cruz (assuming i didn't need to drive further north than Palo Alto) if i moved back there.

Oakland is not that hip...some parts are getting better but it's still pretty rundown.  Berkeley/Oakland Hills are completely different though.

East Palo Alto is basically for hipsters in Silicon Valley.

Irvinecommuter said:
Tyler Durden said:

Oakland is not that hip...some parts are getting better but it's still pretty rundown.  Berkeley/Oakland Hills are completely different though.

Oakland is pretty hip.  When I was working there a few years ago they started having farmers markets, new trendy hipster restaurants, pubs etc... Jack London Square was cool in the early 2000's then it died haha..

If you want hipster, move to Emeryville.. When I lived there I swore I felt like I needed to drivea vespa around while sipping coffee to fit in.

East Palo Alto Hispterish??  -  :eek: /Not sure if serious, I almost got shot there playing bball...

So the article I read today claims there is a witness who says Pham threw the first punch and that the person they have in custody didn't even hit her.

bones said:
homer_simpson said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Tyler Durden said:

Oakland is pretty hip.  When I was working there a few years ago they started having farmers markets, new trendy hipster restaurants, pubs etc... Jack London Square was cool in the early 2000's then it died haha..

If you want hipster, move to Emeryville.. When I lived there I swore I felt like I needed to drivea vespa around while sipping coffee to fit in.

East Palo Alto Hispterish??  -  :eek: /Not sure if serious, I almost got shot there playing bball...

Hate to break it to you guys but whatever u consider "hip" probably isn't. By the time our age group thinks it's hip - it no longer is.

I'm not that old :/

Pham was not totally innocent either. She instigated the incident that ended badly. Asians are not exactly street smart to begin with. The only way for survival is to live in the safest city. This is what happened when they venture out of their protective bubble. The last guy that got stabbed was a Korean from Irvine who pissed off the Hispanic for being a show off at The Proof bar.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Pham was not totally innocent either. She instigated the incident that ended badly. Asians are exactly street smart to begin with. The only way for survival is to live in the safest city. This is what happened when they venture out of their protective bubble. The last guy that got stabbed was a Korean from Irvine who pissed off the Hispanic for being a show off at The Proof bar.

when you are raised in the irvine bubble you dont know how to interact with the real world.

Where was her friends when she was getting beat up?  The bouncer was late getting to her. Channel 7 mentioned tonight that witnesses said she walked in front of the attackers while they were taking a picture. Verbal abusive language were exchanged and she might have thrown the first punch but not confirmed yet by the police. It so ok to look down on the Mexicans in Irvine but don't do that in Santa Ana.

irvinehomeshopper said:
It so ok to look down on the Mexicans in Irvine but don't do that in Santa Ana.

just dont look down on qwerty cause then you will be looking up at him.

2nd woman arrested. 27 year old Santa Ana resident.

A 3rd woman is a person of interest, 2 other men are being sought but not suspected.

Police said the same thing I did, people were more interested in video recording the event rather than stepping in and helping.

Understandable as some people don't want to end up getting hurt and at least video can help identify the parties involved.

50 people were reported to be present during this incident... sad.

irvinehomeowner said:
2nd woman arrested. 27 year old Santa Ana resident.

A 3rd woman is a person of interest, 2 other men are being sought but not suspected.

Police said the same thing I did, people were more interested in video recording the event rather than stepping in and helping.

Understandable as some people don't want to end up getting hurt and at least video can help identify the parties involved.

50 people were reported to be present during this incident... sad.

Fuck man what is this china where people just stand around and don't do shit? 50 people and no one jumped in? I understand not wanting to get hurt but to just stand around and watch/film this?  Crazy.

Back