Wiring Hub

escrowbear said:
Oops.  One more question too.  This is for the voice portion of COX services.

I have COX digital telephone.  So the cable modem is in all in one cable modem/digital telephone thing.  They plug in from Cable-> Cable Modem (From Cox) -> Telephone Jack.  Once you plug in using a telephone cable from cable modem to the wall, then it provides a dial tone to any/all telephone outlets.

Since I would want to move my cable modem to the wiring closet, there is no telephone plug.  I guess I would need to remove the end of my telephone cable and plug it into the telephone box somehow?  Has anyone done this?
You may want to check your wiring closet again as the one that I had, did have an RJ-11 for the phone.

One other thing, on these digital telephone/data modems, the Cox guy who installed it said that if you do move it, to let them know because that has something to do with the location based emergency services. Not quite sure how that works because it would still be in your house but just thought I'd mention it.

Also, if you have a cable/dsl modem that already has built-in wireless, you shouldn't need a separate router for the hard line as you can use the single port and route it to a switch as the modem should take care of DHCP assignments.

Femtocell is awesome and is just helping making landlines obsolete. The only reason we keep ours is so people don't bug us on our mobile phones.

irvinehomeowner said:
escrowbear said:
Oops.  One more question too.  This is for the voice portion of COX services.

I have COX digital telephone.  So the cable modem is in all in one cable modem/digital telephone thing.  They plug in from Cable-> Cable Modem (From Cox) -> Telephone Jack.  Once you plug in using a telephone cable from cable modem to the wall, then it provides a dial tone to any/all telephone outlets.

Since I would want to move my cable modem to the wiring closet, there is no telephone plug.  I guess I would need to remove the end of my telephone cable and plug it into the telephone box somehow?  Has anyone done this?
You may want to check your wiring closet again as the one that I had, did have an RJ-11 for the phone.

One other thing, on these digital telephone/data modems, the Cox guy who installed it said that if you do move it, to let them know because that has something to do with the location based emergency services. Not quite sure how that works because it would still be in your house but just thought I'd mention it.

Also, if you have a cable/dsl modem that already has built-in wireless, you shouldn't need a separate router for the hard line as you can use the single port and route it to a switch as the modem should take care of DHCP assignments.

Femtocell is awesome and is just helping making landlines obsolete. The only reason we keep ours is so people don't bug us on our mobile phones.

Cox wants you to notify them for their location services because Cox Telephone is actually VoIP, hence the name Cox Digital Telephone - digital is just another name for VoIP.  VoIP telephone services use E911 to provide 911 service, meaning when you call 911, your address that is registered with Cox is sent to emergency responders.  If you move to a new location and don't tell Cox, when you call 911, help could potentially be sent to the wrong location.

Back