Wine Cooler

Irvine

Hi Guys,

I am going through my Stage 2 options and wanted some suggestions on Win Cooler.

1. How difficult it is to install a small wine cooler after we move in?
2. What electrical outlets I can plan now, so the install is easy?
3. Ventilation, how to plan for it?

Thank you and apprecite your response.

Where are you going to put it?  A great location would be on one side of an island since most of the islands ive seen have electrical outlets already.  We currently have a wine fridge right by the sink.  It replaced some cabinets and I didnt have to plan out any electrical outlets because there was an electrical outlet underneath the sink for the garbage disposal etc.

I picked up my wine fridge from Costco and installed it myself.  Tyler Durden would be so proud of me if he was here to see me post  :'(

If you did not opt for wine cooler refrigerator from the IP, there's will not be a space in the kitchen cabinet for it.  IP will does not offer cabinet option for wine cooler space if you didn't get it through them. 

Unless you are getting a freestanding unit instead of built-in, cabinet depth one and have found a place to put them, you have to get the built-in one from evil IP. :mad:

Thank you Both.

Inc:

You are correct. I do not want to go with the builder (IP) and pay for it for next 30 years.

Do you think, I cna do some thing like what Homer did?

Homer_Simpson:

Can you share pircure, if you do not mind :)

How much did you pay at Costco?

Be careful with a built in wine cooler.  They look nice but if you have any type if aspiration of keeping great bottles for years, they are prone to fail.  This is not just built ins but all wine cabinets.  It's a matter of when not if the condenser will fail on a wine cabinet.  They aren't made the same as regular refrigerator condensers as you need higher humidity to properly store wine.  Almost all cheapo built ins do not have the capability of user replaceable condenser, so when the condenser goes, and it will, you have to replace the whole damn fridge/cabinet instead of just the condenser.

I highly disagree with the statement above about subzero wine fridges.  Super expensive and zero bang for the buck.  They look nice tho next to the matching Fridge and Wolf appliances.  The racking is limited due to odd bottle sizes.  If all you drink is CA cabs and Bordeaux, they work well, but forget about Burgundy, Pinot and Champagne bottles.

A better solution but it won't be built in, is a free standing unit such as Le Cache.  Furniture grade finish and way more storage capability.  Also they use better condensers with a 5 yr warranty on the condenser with excellent customer service.  Stay away from Vinotemp.  That company's service is worse than the telecoms.  Eurocave is also a nice alternative.

Anyway, this is coming from a major wine geek that's been around the block.  Just my 2 cents and my opinion is only with that much. :)

Back