window treatment

waitin4ever

I have many questions in this regards but it all come down to following.

Shutters (wood), Blinds or Drapes. What is the opinion??

Ultimately what you need on windows is to be able to open/close them when you want
or do not want fresh air. Then either have blinds/shutter/drapes open for light or closed for
privacy.

Having considered this basic functionality which option is recommended especially since costs
are so different.

We've had blinds in most of our homes (shutters in one).

The shutters (and some blinds) look nice but for do it yourself ease, you can't beat drapes. And drapes can add impact that blinds cannot via color, style, length etc.

And for sliding doors, I think drapes are way superior to any type of blind/shutter product (unless you have those sliding doors with the blinds between the glass).

Agree with IHO, we have drapes for sliding doors and blinds for windows.  Shutters are nice and expensive but I don't see them as user friendly.

So if one decides on shutters does one pick
wood shutters or faux wood shutters assuming price
difference is very minimal.

irvinehomeowner said:
We've had blinds in most of our homes (shutters in one).

The shutters (and some blinds) look nice but for do it yourself ease, you can't beat drapes. And drapes can add impact that blinds cannot via color, style, length etc.

And for sliding doors, I think drapes are way superior to any type of blind/shutter product (unless you have those sliding doors with the blinds between the glass).

escrowbear said:
If anyone can recommend where they are getting shutters, please post here. 
www.blinds.com

Free/low shipping cost and the best part is that you pay no sales taxes because the product is coming out of Texas.

In wet areas (bathrooms, kitchens)... faux blinds.

Also... for windows where there is a large width, I think I remember them saying to use faux because it was lighter and stronger and could take the extra torque.

You can't really tell the difference these days and most shutter applications look good regardless.

OC plantation shutters. They are part of the OC blinds. They have the best rates on wood shutters
compared to others.

escrowbear said:
If anyone can recommend where they are getting shutters, please post here. 

dwport1950 said:
I just had our new home shutters custome made by Shutters To Go.  They were professional, respectful of our property, on time, informative and very competitively priced.  We had 24 windows and 2 french doors completed in 3 1/2 weeks from order to installed.  We could not be happier and several of neighbors and friends have used them as well.  Dan was our designer.  He was older, patient and very attention oriented, 909-529-0330,  Good Luck!!! :)

Seems like you joined just to post that  :p

These days we're seeing less of the plantation shutter and more of the bamboo roman shade.

The Motor Court Company said:
for the new homes, is it better to get the window treatment from the builder? what are the pros and cons?
The builder charges a lot more than you could get them by going with someone after you close...almost double the cost if I remember right.  There are no pros of getting shutters through the builder.

The Motor Court Company said:
for the new homes, is it better to get the window treatment from the builder? what are the pros and cons?

One of the biggie lessons in business is this: People pay for convenience.

Ask a single person with no family versus a married w/ kids person vs. a D.I.N.K. household and you may get a few different answers. I've been all three of those and can absolutely see why someone would buy this or any upgrade through the builder. Life is not always as simple as looking at the bottom line on paper. I can think of few reasons why someone would, for example, want a new construction other than for the very sake of convenience... to not spend time doing all the things they would do if purchasing a resale. If paying for the convenience makes it worthwhile to you, then go for it. Take an all-cash buyer, for example. What are they going to care about saving on piddly window treatments in exchange for their time? To some it's worth it and to some it's not. Unless a person is desperately cutting corners to afford the home, they would likely fall into the Convenience Camp, Imo.

That said:

"A good home must be made, not bought."
- Joyce Maynard

Back