Will mortgage rates continue to drop?

Mety said:
eyephone said:
Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:
@Mety:

The Branches is the same exact floorplans as Willow Bend but in North Lake area of Woodbridge where Alderwood Elementary originally was located before it moved to Quail Hill.

These were Lyon in-builds.

As for club houses, it depends on the village/hood. Even in older homes, some have club houses, some don't.

One thing I give for GP is that they got nice club houses. That new one at Novel Park looks so good.

Pro:
Don?t care about no clubhouse, park, pool
Noob:
I need the amenities

Pro:
Rent GP
Noob:
Buy GP 

JK  :D

Assuming you are one of pros, what do you care about the most when buying a home, eyephone?

Low HOA (A oh Kay)

Parks and pools are great amenities.

A club house is nice when you want to throw a big party but don't have room in your own house.

irvinehomeowner said:

A club house is nice when you want to throw a big party but don't have room in your own house.

But how often do people actually benefit from a clubhouse?  Maybe once/year? 

paydawg said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Sounding like a pro!  ;)

I will say that the amenities are a factor for us as we?re shopping for a home, mainly condos since our price range is sub 800k.

Pool we don?t really care about, but having parks and such around that are waking distance or short drive are nice. It?s why we like Portola Springs and Great Park when considering a new home over resale. Great park not so much because of the way higher HOA and mello roos. But I see the appeal.

Does PS have any clubhouses? I?ve seen a bunch of pools and parks as we drove through the area. I know that you have to pay the PS fee along with the individual community HOA there.

At our last apartment we used it quite a bit since our family liked to use it for holidays. No one had t volunteer their house for New Years.

paydawg said:
irvinehomeowner said:

If that. But that's actually okay, if more people used the clubhouse more often, it would be unavailable to a point of uselessness.

The option to use one is a plus in my opinion.

I'd take a clubhouse over a gate. :)

jamesKirk said:
I will say that the amenities are a factor for us as we?re shopping for a home, mainly condos since our price range is sub 800k.

Pool we don?t really care about, but having parks and such around that are waking distance or short drive are nice. It?s why we like Portola Springs and Great Park when considering a new home over resale. Great park not so much because of the way higher HOA and mello roos. But I see the appeal.

Does PS have any clubhouses? I?ve seen a bunch of pools and parks as we drove through the area. I know that you have to pay the PS fee along with the individual community HOA there.

At our last apartment we used it quite a bit since our family liked to use it for holidays. No one had t volunteer their house for New Years.

If I remember correctly there was a clubhouse in PS3 (Irvine & Modjeska). I think you pay around $300 to use all day event. I think Woodbury has a nice courtyard where you can do like baby showers and stuff. Orchard Hills and Laguna Altura have club houses also.

irvinehomeowner said:
paydawg said:
irvinehomeowner said:

If that. But that's actually okay, if more people used the clubhouse more often, it would be unavailable to a point of uselessness.

The option to use one is a plus in my opinion.

I'd take a clubhouse over a gate. :)

Laguna Altura has a clubhouse and a gate. So does Turtle Ridge. But yeah, I don't really care about the gated thing.

eyephone said:
paydawg said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Sounding like a pro!  ;)

But he/she lives in PS. Is that pro to you? Wait.. I might be confused with someone else. Maybe PaperBoy.

Mety said:
jamesKirk said:

If I remember correctly there was a clubhouse in PS3 (Irvine & Modjeska). I think you pay around $300 to use all day event. I think Woodbury has a nice courtyard where you can do like baby showers and stuff. Orchard Hills and Laguna Altura have club houses also.

Is that a deposit or payment? At our last apartment it was a deposit and you?d get it back as long as you cleaned up the place after and no damage.

jamesKirk said:
Mety said:
jamesKirk said:

Is that a deposit or payment? At our last apartment it was a deposit and you?d get it back as long as you cleaned up the place after and no damage.

I believe payment. The deposit might be a separate thing. But I don't live there so I'm not 100% sure.

Analysis: You previously mentioned that amenities are a factor, but we don?t really care about. (Reverse negative)

Btw there are parks that are free. (I think playing in front of the residence is fine with me.)

jamesKirk said:

The pool yes. We rarely swim honestly. Other things we do care about though as I said. Every community seems to have a pool so it?s sort of not a consideration for us. In fact other than the older communities I don?t know if we saw a home that didn?t have an HOA pool in Irvine.

For instance depending on what area of Portola springs you?re in there is a park walking distance that will mostly if not all be residents of the area there. If you?re lucky the one by you might have a basketball court or some other sports thing. That?s appealing to us who plan to have a kid shortly.

Trails and such that you can access easily by just riding your bike out of your garage. If there are trails we can walk to this would be appealing as well.

Ability to rent a clubhouse if you have say a baby shower or birthday party. Even if once a year as someone looking at condos who probably can?t fit even half their family in this is appealing.

I agree that you can just drive to any park you want, but there?s something about having things like that nearby where you can walk or bike there.

One big one that isn?t HOA related is the parking design. Is there enough guest parking if you have people over? Does the HOA properly enforce the parking rules, i.e. people parking in guest spots and using garage as storage? These things we check out or ask about when looking at homes.

For example Tustin Fields. The parking there is so bad and crowded that we would never buy a condo there. Even with a two car garage guests would have to park far away if they could find a spot. We looked at a nice detached unit there a while ago. House was nice, decent price, new flooring, but the street parking was horrible near the house.

eyephone said:
Analysis: You previously mentioned that amenities are a factor, but we don?t really care about. (Reverse negative)

Btw there are parks that are free. (I think playing in front of the residence is fine with me.)

jamesKirk said:

1. You can rent a spot at public parks for a party. Hire catering and others etc.. boom you got yourself an event    2.You or your friend can rent clubhouses at other locations. (come on) 3. Bring your family to your place (how big is your family)

I?ve been to parties that they place tables and chairs in the garage.

#becreative
#whenyoudonthavemoneytheresalwaysaway

jamesKirk said:
The pool yes. We rarely swim honestly. Other things we do care about though as I said.

For instance depending on what area of Portola springs you?re in there is a park walking distance that will mostly if not all be residents of the area there. If you?re lucky the one by you might have a basketball court or some other sports thing. That?s appealing to us who plan to have a kid shortly.

Trails and such that you can access easily by just riding your bike out of your garage. If there are trails we can walk to this would be appealing as well.

Ability to rent a clubhouse if you have say a baby shower or birthday party. Even if once a year as someone looking at condos who probably can?t fit even half their family in this is appealing.

I agree that you can just drive to any park you want, but there?s something about having things like that nearby where you can walk or bike there.

One big one that isn?t HOA related is the parking design. Is there enough guest parking if you have people over? Does the HOA properly enforce the parking rules, i.e. people parking in guest spots and using garage as storage? These things we check out or ask about when looking at homes.

For example Tustin Fields. The parking there is so bad and crowded that we would never buy a condo there. Even with a two car garage guests would have to park far away if they could find a spot. We looked at a nice detached unit there a while ago. House was nice, decent price, new flooring, but the street parking was horrible near the house.

eyephone said:

jamesKirk said:

Sorry about Tustin Fields. We went to see it with our agent and it took us 10 minutes to park and one of us had to take the driveway.

Our family is big. If we bought say a 1500? condo no way we can host a holiday like Christmas there or a child?s birthday party.

What do you mean by #2? Not following.

eyephone said:
James way to trash TustinFlds parking. (I didn?t know about that until you mentioned it)

#yousaiditnotme

1. You can rent spots at public parks. 2. You or your friend can rent clubhouses at other locations. (come on) 3. Bring your family to your place

#becreative

jamesKirk said:
The pool yes. We rarely swim honestly. Other things we do care about though as I said.

eyephone said:

jamesKirk said:

If you know someone they can rent it out for you or simply inquire. (Maybe they might charge more if you don?t live there)

jamesKirk said:
Sorry about Tustin Fields. We went to see it with our agent and it took us 10 minutes to park and one of us had to take the driveway.

Our family is big. If we bought say a 1500? condo no way we can host a holiday like Christmas there or a child?s birthday party.

What do you mean by #2? Not following.

eyephone said:
James way to trash TustinFlds parking. (I didn?t know about that until you mentioned it)

#yousaiditnotme

1. You can rent spots at public parks. 2. You or your friend can rent clubhouses at other locations. (come on) 3. Bring your family to your place

#becreative

jamesKirk said:

eyephone said:

jamesKirk said:

Sounds like you need a single family residence. (for a party every holiday and birthday to accommodate your big family) I picture a temporary big tent in the backyard with tables in the garage. [with a dj of course]  ;)

I have to ask. Are you going to have one family live in your residence?

eyephone said:
Sounds like you need a single family residence. (for a party every holiday to accommodate your big family)

Just us, two adults. Kid in 1-2 yrs.

We don?t have that many holidays at our place, that?s why a clubhouse is a nice bonus not a necessity. We try to host a few because most of our family lives in NoHo, Ventura or Torrance. They can drive down to OC once in a while instead of us always having to go there. But my wife likes to have her family over for random smaller things and the apartment clubhouse was really convenient. They always do pot luck things and there was a microwave and small fridge as well in the clubhouse which was really useful.

We did check out of single family homes, but the ones in our price range just aren?t what we?d want. Maybe next move up we?ll be able to afford a nice SFR in the area.

Or how about meet at a central location and meet at a restaurant?

jamesKirk said:
eyephone said:
Sounds like you need a single family residence. (for a party every holiday to accommodate your big family)

Just us, two adults. Kid in 1-2 yrs.

We don?t have that many holidays at our place, that?s why a clubhouse is a nice bonus not a necessity. We try to host a few because most of our family lives in NoHo, Ventura or Torrance. They can drive down to OC once in a while instead of us always having to go there. But my wife likes to have her family over for random smaller things and the apartment clubhouse was really convenient. They always do pot luck things and there was a microwave and small fridge as well in the clubhouse which was really useful.

We did check out of single family homes, but the ones in our price range just aren?t what we?d want. Maybe next move up we?ll be able to afford a nice SFR in the area.

Back