Will I ever be able to buy?

4walls4me_IHB

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>This is my first post!</p>

<p>I'm fairly new to OC (1year) and am working at my first real job out of grad school. I would love to buy a home someday and am concerned that may never happen. Realistically, do you guys believe it is possible (w/o crazy loans) for a single person (current salary about 100K per year) to purchase a home (2+den or 3 bedroom, 1500sq. ft.+) or should I forget about it?</p>

<p>Even with prices coming down a little, there is nothing that I could afford comfortably that I would want to live in.</p>

<p>Is there hope?</p>

<p>Thank you for any input!</p>

<p>PS I might get married someday, but don't plan on having kids, so kids are not a factor.</p>

Start saving $$ for down payment. If the housing bears are correct, you'll be able to afford a house here in couple of years.

If not, then you can still rent and invest in real estate elsewhere. Irvine is just one city, there are many more out there in the world, plus countless other investment venues. Don't depend solely on your paycheque. Look for quality income property elsewhere that generates positive cash flow. When you've made enough, you can afford a nice house in Irvine without using exotic loans.

Most of my friends who said that they'd never have kids, changed their mind after they got married. I'm not saying that you'd change your mind too, but it's always good to be prepared and shop for homes in a kid-friendly area.

Momo has it right, save-save-save ! The buyer with the cash will be the winner in a few years. From what it looks like, many banks are beginning to require 5%, 10% and 20% CASH down to qualify for a mortgage on a property. Now, how many people in SoCal do you know with 50K in the bank....well, except lots of happy renters on this board ! Not many . That means if you have, say, 10% cash to put down....that puts you in the drivers seat. Many people will be turned down for mortgages in the next few years because if they have no $$ to put down on a property, they have no "skin in the game". Banks/Lenders will want this "skin" because it will be a lot harder for you to walk away from and default and leave them holding the bag.

<p>4walls4me - Not to worry. Yeah, prices have come down a little, but history is on your side. Prices are about to come alot more.</p>

<p>Patience.</p>

<p>Thank for the answers. </p>

<p>In the end, I suppose I'd rather rent and be happy than buy and be stressed and miserable. It's hard to buy anything on a 100K salary, but maybe someday that will change :)</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>"It's hard to buy anything on a 100K salary"</em></p>

<p>Isn't that a sad statement ?! Welcome to SoCal ! Hang in there 4.</p>

<p>I saw this excellent post on another blog from a young man in similar circumstances. He realized that there is no reason to give up hope once he understood what is going on.</p>

<p><em>I graduated from law school in spring of 2005, and got married that fall.

My wife and I got a lease on an apartment that was conveniently located for both of us to get to work. Like many young couples, we wished to buy our own home. However, we didn't want to buy in the area where we had to live (Prince Ghetto county) while she was on internship in Northern Virginia. Coupled with our student loans, and lack of a sufficient down-payment, we decided to put it off for a couple of years, so that we could get our careers, and our financial house in order.

But it is always good to plan ahead, so I started doing some research and talking to people. I had known before that home prices were high, but when I began to realize that I would need to accumulate about $80k in cash to put a traditional 20% downpayment on any home outside the ghetto, I became distraught. I talked to my dad about this, and he advised me about the first-time homebuyer programs available, and the possibility of putting 10% or less down on a house.

I then asked him about the first house that he and my mother had purchased. It was a modest split-level, in a decent neighborhood; a house that I would be more than happy with as a starter-home. It cost them just north of $60k in 1979, but it was very affordable for them on their income (my mom was working at the Naval Academy as a librarian, and my Dad had a job at a factory in Baltimore, and was working his way through college). They didn't have much money, but they were able to put 20% down, and by living frugally, they were able to begin a nice life together in this home, and give me and my younger brother everything we needed, paying the mortgage on time every month.

Now, in 2007, there is no way that my wife and I would be able to afford the same house, be able to start a family, and have one of us stay home with kids. How could a factory worker and a librarian in 1979 be better off than a lawyer and a psychologist in 2007? I felt bitter.

Several months later, I overheard one of the secretaries at work talking about how she and her husband worked hard and saved to buy their first home, and that she expected the same from her son. She would never give him any help toward his first home. I confronted her. I pointed out how much higher home prices are now than when she bought her first home, and asked how any young person could be expected to afford a house in the D.C. area. She responded by saying that she wanted her son to move to the midwest, where houses are more affordable.

This prompted me to go online, and see what other prople were saying about this. Were there any other young people who felt they'd been disinherited by ridiculous housing prices?

That is when I found the housing blogs. First, D.C. Housing Bubble Blues. Then iTulip. Then HP.

They tought me that instead of being resentful that I could not afford a home, that I should be patient and responsible, that I should work toward paying down my student loans, and that I should start saving up for a downpayment. I have learned the value of renting, and I have also learned (though I shougld have known this through common-sense) that I cannot be priced-out forever.

For people staring out in life, the value of this, and similar blogs is that they spread the word that the days of 20% down are not over, that it is foolish and dangerous to stretch your finances and take out exotic loans to get on the housing ladder, and that your money is better-off in places other than real estate.

As one poster put it here one time, "these days you have to think, people." It's not like it used to be, where you could purchase a home, and depend on this being a reasonably sound financial decision, or where you could dollar-cost-average into an IRA, and expect things to turn out OK.

We live in a bubble economy, and if young people stumble blindly through their financial lives like their parents did, depending for their fiancial well-being on steady and reasonable economic growth and asset appreciation, then they will be screwed.

</em></p>

What a great read and <a href="../../../account/20/">bigmoneysalsa</a>'s story is icing on the cake.

This post should be stickied and be made a mandatory read for all new visitors who think we're crazy/bitter/pessimists.

<p>4walls4me, </p>

<p>Yes, it's possible. 100k is plenty enough. But try to start with baby steps. Get a little condo or townhome. Hang onto to it for 4 to 5 years. The appreciation will allow you to upgrade to the home of your size 1500 sq. feet. Never lose hope. Where there's a will there's a way. Be happy. </p>

reason:

"Get a little condo or townhome. Hang onto it for 4 to 5 years. The appreciation will allow you to upgrade..."

Uh, okay, sure. No problem. You're absolutely right.

OMG. It's like when I go to Disneyland and I feel incredibly svelte compared to the porkers waddling around eatiing their churros...comments like this remind me of my brilliance.

Munch munch munch on Neil's popcorn, yum!

<p>reason,</p>

<p>Are you kidding? I hope so. As IrvineRenter would say, the days of appreciation are over -- especially in the short term ("4 to 5 years"). And BTW, a "little condo or townhome" will run you over $500,000 in Irvine. That's not afforable for a first time buyer making "only" $100,000.</p>

<p>I purchase my little condo back in 05. I make far less than 100k. My condo hasn't depreciated. Maybe I am the lucky few.</p>

reason,

If you're in California then your shitbox has depreciated you just don't realize it yet because you aren't trying to sell. In 1-2 years it will become obvious even to those

that aren't selling that their properties have depreciated.

I don't see what the hostility for? After all, I am just sharing my view. And nope. It's actuallly in a new development. But thanks for the insult. Instead of name calling, maybe you should ask how it's done and you just might learn something. Be happy.

Reason, in another thread about Cookie Cutter Houses in Irvine...you said you bought your house in the 80's. Which one is it? You bought in the 80's or you bought a condo in '05? Regarding buying in '05....I wouldn't ask for your advice on "how it's done" because you are screwed on that one, if you plan on selling in the next 5-6 years. Perhaps the term SB was a little harsh.

A buddy of mine called yesterday asking if I could find a bank to give him a 100% LTV HELOC on his McMansion in north OC. He insists that his house never depreciated from the 'high', that it's a safe loan and doesn't understand why no one would lend to him. I was speechless and thought he was kidding. He wasn't.

Despite me trying to educate him on the state of the market, it was the biggest case of denial I've seen yet.

<p>Trooper, </p>

<p>Honestly, the one in '05. I am not screwed at all. Trust me, I would be the first one to admit it, if that's the case. My only disappointment is that I didn't gain as much. Comparing to my bro-in-law who bought his house in Orange for 600k in 2004 and now it's listed at 1.2 million. Granted he might not get 1.2 mil in this market but it's certainly not going to sell for 600k. So he has a good amount of equity there. </p>

<p>Regarding the 80's purchase, you're right it's really someone I know. I have alot to share and to keep me anonymous. I like to give scenarios of experience of people that I know. You'll see in the "thread" that I tend to change the person in the stories. Sorry about that.</p>

Back