Why wait for prices to drop?

As we get closer and closer to having our gov. buy bad mortgages and reduce principles I got to thinking. Maybe I should buy an overpriced house now with the minimal downpayment at a high DTI ratio. Later tell the bank I can't afford due to high DTI and have them sell to the gov for principle reduction. Once gov reworks my loan, then I send in my real downpayment. Now I have tons of equity and can refi into a low rate, low principle, low monthly payment loan.

If you can't beat em, join em.

the problem is who's giving you that minimal downpayment high DTI loan now? and why not just wait for prices to drop and jump straight to a low monthly payment plan?

LOL! At times like this, where most of us are bogged down by the pressure of piled up monies under the beds, we are supposed to take a deep breath and refer to IR's old post about rent vs owning, and read a few analysis posts till we see all negatives in buying NOW and relax.

It happens, knife catching is so tempting. Those people who cut their hands with a chain saw will be treated, but our tiny knife cuts will go uncared for. That is the big picture we need to focus on.

But end of the day, with my 401k moving from 6 to 5 digits, what difference does another investment make? At least I will live and enjoy one while other was all in papers. Sigh* Need to read analysis posts and deep breathe..

CZ

[quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1223517359]

But end of the day, with my 401k moving from 6 to 5 digits, what difference does another investment make? At least I will live and enjoy one while other was all in papers. Sigh* Need to read analysis posts and deep breathe..

CZ</blockquote>

No doubt, It was cheaper for me to take a disbursment than to leave it in.... ALOT cheaper. I did pay off all my credit (and i'm alot lighter in the wallet), but my credit looks pretty good now with very little debt to show (forever student loan and my wife's car...).

Good luck

-bix

This is why we should wait. Similar property to this was listed $1.2M, $1.1M, $950K, and now $764K.

<a href="http://beta.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?loc=Irvine,CA&pgsz=3&sid=8fbe98165bfd4154a22c6171c3a9b907&pg=8&fhpg=8&lid=1103926351&lsn=365&srcnt=1014">http://beta.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?loc=Irvine,CA&pgsz=3&sid=8fbe98165bfd4154a22c6171c3a9b907&pg=8&fhpg=8&lid=1103926351&lsn=365&srcnt=1014</a>

[quote author="WestparkRenter" date=1223809256]This is why we should wait. Similar property to this was listed $1.2M, $1.1M, $950K, and now $764K.

<a href="http://beta.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?loc=Irvine,CA&pgsz=3&sid=8fbe98165bfd4154a22c6171c3a9b907&pg=8&fhpg=8&lid=1103926351&lsn=365&srcnt=1014">http://beta.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?loc=Irvine,CA&pgsz=3&sid=8fbe98165bfd4154a22c6171c3a9b907&pg=8&fhpg=8&lid=1103926351&lsn=365&srcnt=1014</a></blockquote>

But they're not all dropping like that. I've been watching starter homes get snapped up at around $540,000 in my neighborhood of interest, no real sign of them dropping at all. REOs get sold in a flash. I think there are plenty of families around with sufficient income to buy these places. And there's next to nothing on the market - just the overpriced homes that haven't sold from this past season and an occasional short sale or bank-owned property. I'm waiting for spring to see what happens, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if prices remained about the same next spring. I'm convinced that this huge unsold inventory and plummeting prices is only occurring is some neighborhoods, not everywhere.

yup, as much as I want the prices to drop so I can finally buy a house I need, I don't see prices in Irvine dropping that much, the houses are superoverpriced, and short sales and REOs get snatched by cash buyers before I even make the offer.

Somebody said here recently (sorry, don't remember who that was to give the proper credit) that you need to wine and dine people from the banks to find some really good deals. I wish I knew somebody working for a bank, I think that's the way to go right now, there are no SFRs in Irvine below 250 per sq. ft., the price I can afford to pay right now...

[quote author="blackacre-seeker" date=1223902958]yup, as much as I want the prices to drop so I can finally buy a house I need, I don't see prices in Irvine dropping that much, the houses are superoverpriced, and short sales and REOs get snatched by cash buyers before I even make the offer.

Somebody said here recently (sorry, don't remember who that was to give the proper credit) that you need to wine and dine people from the banks to find some really good deals. I wish I knew somebody working for a bank, I think that's the way to go right now, there are no SFRs in Irvine below 250 per sq. ft., the price I can afford to pay right now...</blockquote>

But the thing is, while I know that $540,000 sounds outrageous for a starter home, think about the income required if people buy at roughly 4x their gross income, which I believe is historical for California. That's $135,000. This is for 3 bedroom 2.5 bath homes at about 1700 square feet. A piece of cake for many couples, and for many individuals. Someone correct me if I'm wrong or if I'm missing something. That's why I feel that maybe the high end has to come crashing down, but the low end is about as far down as it's going to go, at least in Irvine. According to the city's website, the median household income in Irvine is $90,000. Okay, there are plenty of condos and townhouses below $500,000, too. Don't get me wrong, I need these prices to drop more to truly afford one, but I'm getting increasingly pessimistic.

[quote author="nefron" date=1223930350][quote author="blackacre-seeker" date=1223902958]yup, as much as I want the prices to drop so I can finally buy a house I need, I don't see prices in Irvine dropping that much, the houses are superoverpriced, and short sales and REOs get snatched by cash buyers before I even make the offer.

Somebody said here recently (sorry, don't remember who that was to give the proper credit) that you need to wine and dine people from the banks to find some really good deals. I wish I knew somebody working for a bank, I think that's the way to go right now, there are no SFRs in Irvine below 250 per sq. ft., the price I can afford to pay right now...</blockquote>

But the thing is, while I know that $540,000 sounds outrageous for a starter home, think about the income required if people buy at roughly 4x their gross income, which I believe is historical for California. That's $135,000. This is for 3 bedroom 2.5 bath homes at about 1700 square feet. A piece of cake for many couples, and for many individuals. Someone correct me if I'm wrong or if I'm missing something. That's why I feel that maybe the high end has to come crashing down, but the low end is about as far down as it's going to go, at least in Irvine. According to the city's website, the median household income in Irvine is $90,000. Okay, there are plenty of condos and townhouses below $500,000, too. Don't get me wrong, I need these prices to drop more to truly afford one, but I'm getting increasingly pessimistic.</blockquote>

We are heading into a deep recession. Prices will continue to fall. I think we may see another leg down in starter condos. In the last correction, condos held their own near rental parity until the high end fell, they they crashed down to cashflow investor values.

[quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1223934135][quote author="nefron" date=1223930350][quote author="blackacre-seeker" date=1223902958]yup, as much as I want the prices to drop so I can finally buy a house I need, I don't see prices in Irvine dropping that much, the houses are superoverpriced, and short sales and REOs get snatched by cash buyers before I even make the offer.

But the thing is, while I know that $540,000 sounds outrageous for a starter home, think about the income required if people buy at roughly 4x their gross income, which I believe is historical for California. That's $135,000. This is for 3 bedroom 2.5 bath homes at about 1700 square feet. A piece of cake for many couples, and for many individuals. Someone correct me if I'm wrong or if I'm missing something. That's why I feel that maybe the high end has to come crashing down, but the low end is about as far down as it's going to go, at least in Irvine. According to the city's website, the median household income in Irvine is $90,000. Okay, there are plenty of condos and townhouses below $500,000, too. Don't get me wrong, I need these prices to drop more to truly afford one, but I'm getting increasingly pessimistic.</blockquote>

We are heading into a deep recession. Prices will continue to fall. I think we may see another leg down in starter condos. In the last correction, condos held their own near rental parity until the high end fell, they they crashed down to cashflow investor values.</blockquote>

Okay, small condos maybe, but IR, I don't see a compelling reason for SFR's to fall more based on what I said above. Look at the OCR's map of foreclosures in yesterday's paper. Time to sell foreclosures throughout Irvine - one month or less. Number of REO's on the market - zero to 14 homes throughout Irvine except for Northwood, which we know has been flip/fraud central. There is so little on the market here that prices are staying up. There is not some shadow inventory in most Irvine neighborhoods. In other neighborhoods, yes. The only thing I see that could possibly change this is for unemployment high enough to force a significant number of homeowners/potential homeowners to have to survive on one income. I'll believe it when I see it.

[quote author="nefron" date=1223936877][quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1223934135][quote author="nefron" date=1223930350][quote author="blackacre-seeker" date=1223902958]yup, as much as I want the prices to drop so I can finally buy a house I need, I don't see prices in Irvine dropping that much, the houses are superoverpriced, and short sales and REOs get snatched by cash buyers before I even make the offer.

We are heading into a deep recession. Prices will continue to fall. I think we may see another leg down in starter condos. In the last correction, condos held their own near rental parity until the high end fell, they they crashed down to cashflow investor values.</blockquote>

Okay, small condos maybe, but IR, I don't see a compelling reason for SFR's to fall more based on what I said above. Look at the OCR's map of foreclosures in yesterday's paper. Time to sell foreclosures throughout Irvine - one month or less. Number of REO's on the market - zero to 14 homes throughout Irvine except for Northwood, which we know has been flip/fraud central. There is so little on the market here that prices are staying up. There is not some shadow inventory in most Irvine neighborhoods. In other neighborhoods, yes. The only thing I see that could possibly change this is for unemployment high enough to force a significant number of homeowners/potential homeowners to have to survive on one income. I'll believe it when I see it.</blockquote>

If the typical borrower in Irvine was financially solvent, then sellers might be able to hold to their prices, but the simple fact is that they aren't. Plus, it doesn't matter as much what the sellers ask as it does what the buyers bid. With tightening credit and rising unemployment buyers will not be able to up their bids to reach these sellers. Look at <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/blog/comments/raines-a-gonna-fall/">today's featured property</a>, a $1M+ REO going for $765K. This is only the beginning.

[quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1223937364][quote author="nefron" date=1223936877][quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1223934135][quote author="nefron" date=1223930350][quote author="blackacre-seeker" date=1223902958]yup, as much as I want the prices to drop so I can finally buy a house I need, I don't see prices in Irvine dropping that much, the houses are superoverpriced, and short sales and REOs get snatched by cash buyers before I even make the offer.

Okay, small condos maybe, but IR, I don't see a compelling reason for SFR's to fall more based on what I said above. Look at the OCR's map of foreclosures in yesterday's paper. Time to sell foreclosures throughout Irvine - one month or less. Number of REO's on the market - zero to 14 homes throughout Irvine except for Northwood, which we know has been flip/fraud central. There is so little on the market here that prices are staying up. There is not some shadow inventory in most Irvine neighborhoods. In other neighborhoods, yes. The only thing I see that could possibly change this is for unemployment high enough to force a significant number of homeowners/potential homeowners to have to survive on one income. I'll believe it when I see it.</blockquote>

If the typical borrower in Irvine was financially solvent, then sellers might be able to hold to their prices, but the simple fact is that they aren't. Plus, it doesn't matter as much what the sellers ask as it does what the buyers bid. With tightening credit and rising unemployment buyers will not be able to up their bids to reach these sellers. Look at <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/blog/comments/raines-a-gonna-fall/">today's featured property</a>, a $1M+ REO going for $765K. This is only the beginning.</blockquote>

Lots of properties in NB are going lower. They don't lower if they think they can sell at higher prices.

[quote author="WestparkRenter" date=1223941783][quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1223937364][quote author="nefron" date=1223936877][quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1223934135][quote author="nefron" date=1223930350][quote author="blackacre-seeker" date=1223902958]yup, as much as I want the prices to drop so I can finally buy a house I need, I don't see prices in Irvine dropping that much, the houses are superoverpriced, and short sales and REOs get snatched by cash buyers before I even make the offer.

If the typical borrower in Irvine was financially solvent, then sellers might be able to hold to their prices, but the simple fact is that they aren't. Plus, it doesn't matter as much what the sellers ask as it does what the buyers bid. With tightening credit and rising unemployment buyers will not be able to up their bids to reach these sellers. Look at <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/blog/comments/raines-a-gonna-fall/">today's featured property</a>, a $1M+ REO going for $765K. This is only the beginning.</blockquote>

Lots of properties in NB are going lower. They don't lower if they think they can sell at higher prices.</blockquote>

Well, if what you observed in the last correction happens again, I hope that this spring we will see starter condos go lower for the second time in this correction, since the high end seems to be crashing now. Maybe SFRs will follow the condos in a second drop next spring. But IMHO there are only two things that will force starter SFRs lower; buyers' fear that prices will continue to go down (justifiable or not) and they'll be stuck with an overpriced property, and, strongly related to that, reluctance to put money into a home because they view it as an investment that will go sour on them. If that psychology holds, then yes, we'll see prices go lower.

But I maintain that from a strictly financial point of view, starter homes could stay at $500,000+ given the incomes of Irvine residents (or wanna-be's). Is there any way to research how much debt the typical Irvine family holds? Honestly, IR, I bet it's a lot lower, at least in Irvine's older neighborhoods, than what you think it is. While for your blog you look at sellers in hock whose homes that are on the market, that is just a small fraction of the number of homes in Irvine overall.

[quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1223937364]If the typical borrower in Irvine was financially solvent, then sellers might be able to hold to their prices, but the simple fact is that they aren't. Plus, it doesn't matter as much what the sellers ask as it does what the buyers bid. With tightening credit and rising unemployment buyers will not be able to up their bids to reach these sellers. Look at <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/blog/comments/raines-a-gonna-fall/">today's featured property</a>, a $1M+ REO going for $765K. This is only the beginning.</blockquote>

Today's featured property will likely sell for considerably over list IR. This place had offers over $800K when it was an attempted short...

[quote author="nefron" date=1223946867]

But I maintain that from a strictly financial point of view, starter homes could stay at $500,000+ given the incomes of Irvine residents (or wanna-be's). Is there any way to research how much debt the typical Irvine family holds? Honestly, IR, I bet it's a lot lower, at least in Irvine's older neighborhoods, than what you think it is. While for your blog you look at sellers in hock whose homes that are on the market, that is just a small fraction of the number of homes in Irvine overall.</blockquote>

if there's only 2 homes on the block for sale - one is a guy who is underwater and desperate to sell and the other house already in foreclosure - they're pushing property values down for everyone. doesn't help that the only potential buyer is unsure about the stability of his job, lost a good % of his savings recently in the stock mkt, and is facing tougher lending environment. might be nice if everyone else in the neighborhood has paid-off mortgages and is sitting pretty with hoards of cash... but they really don't have any impact on the market.

[quote author="nefron" date=1223946867][quote author="WestparkRenter" date=1223941783][quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1223937364][quote author="nefron" date=1223936877][quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1223934135][quote author="nefron" date=1223930350][quote author="blackacre-seeker" date=1223902958]yup, as much as I want the prices to drop so I can finally buy a house I need, I don't see prices in Irvine dropping that much, the houses are superoverpriced, and short sales and REOs get snatched by cash buyers before I even make the offer.

Lots of properties in NB are going lower. They don't lower if they think they can sell at higher prices.</blockquote>

Well, if what you observed in the last correction happens again, I hope that this spring we will see starter condos go lower for the second time in this correction, since the high end seems to be crashing now. Maybe SFRs will follow the condos in a second drop next spring. But IMHO there are only two things that will force starter SFRs lower; buyers' fear that prices will continue to go down (justifiable or not) and they'll be stuck with an overpriced property, and, strongly related to that, reluctance to put money into a home because they view it as an investment that will go sour on them. If that psychology holds, then yes, we'll see prices go lower.

But I maintain that from a strictly financial point of view, starter homes could stay at $500,000+ given the incomes of Irvine residents (or wanna-be's). Is there any way to research how much debt the typical Irvine family holds? Honestly, IR, I bet it's a lot lower, at least in Irvine's older neighborhoods, than what you think it is. While for your blog you look at sellers in hock whose homes that are on the market, that is just a small fraction of the number of homes in Irvine overall.</blockquote>

Condo prices have been going lower. Back in 2004, the lowest price for a condo was in the $300-400K, now you can even find 3BR condo in the $200K.

[quote author="nefron" date=1223946867]Well, if what you observed in the last correction happens again, I hope that this spring we will see starter condos go lower for the second time in this correction, since the high end seems to be crashing now. Maybe SFRs will follow the condos in a second drop next spring. But IMHO there are only two things that will force starter SFRs lower; buyers' fear that prices will continue to go down (justifiable or not) and they'll be stuck with an overpriced property, and, strongly related to that, reluctance to put money into a home because they view it as an investment that will go sour on them. If that psychology holds, then yes, we'll see prices go lower.

I know from my research on properties currently for sale that most of them have debt in excess of their original purchase prices. Not just have most people added to their mortgage debt, they have added a lot to it. I have no idea what kind of credit card debt or other indebtedness they have, but given their verifiable history with managing their mortgage, it doesn't seem likely they have no other debts. We all saw the conspicuous consumption in Irvine, and it was mostly debt financed. One of the statistics that shocked me when I first saw it was that aggregate home equity declined sharply during the bubble. Prices went up 250% in California, and the average California homeowner had less equity in 2006 than they had in 1997. I found this astonishing. Some of this was late buyers using 100% financing, but the majority was home equity withdrawal. It was the driver of our economy from 2002-2006. It is one of the reasons this recession is going to be so bad.

Also, it only takes a small fraction of homeowners in distress to drive down property values in the whole neighborhood. Market prices are determined on the fringes. If 10% of homeowners are in distress, market pricing will suffer greatly.

[quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1223951794]

Also, it only takes a small fraction of homeowners in distress to drive down property values in the whole neighborhood. Market prices are determined on the fringes. If 10% of homeowners are in distress, market pricing will suffer greatly.</blockquote>

Isn't this only true if inventory is high also?

The problem is you need low comps and a <em>need to sell</em> to drive prices lower. I know more then a few people who have their houses up for sale right now, and are basically just 'make me move' prices. They are more then prepared to stay in their homes for the next 5-10 years.

Unless the option ARM resets just *kill* everyone and banks are forced to dump foreclosed properties en mass, I don't think Irvine has another huge crash coming. Sure prices will slowly inch down, and the high end might crash (shady canyon looks insane), but for the most part foreclosure levels just arn't high enough.

In my opinion, the best hope for another huge pricecut in irvine is tohope places such as santa ana, aliso, and ladera become *so* much of a bargain that Irvine's appeal isn't worth the price difference. Who knows if that will happen...

[quote author="25w100k+" date=1223962863][quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1223951794]

Also, it only takes a small fraction of homeowners in distress to drive down property values in the whole neighborhood. Market prices are determined on the fringes. If 10% of homeowners are in distress, market pricing will suffer greatly.</blockquote>

Isn't this only true if inventory is high also?

The problem is you need low comps and a <em>need to sell</em> to drive prices lower. I know more then a few people who have their houses up for sale right now, and are basically just 'make me move' prices. They are more then prepared to stay in their homes for the next 5-10 years.

Unless the option ARM resets just *kill* everyone and banks are forced to dump foreclosed properties en mass, I don't think Irvine has another huge crash coming. Sure prices will slowly inch down, and the high end might crash (shady canyon looks insane), but for the most part foreclosure levels just arn't high enough.

In my opinion, the best hope for another huge pricecut in irvine is tohope places such as santa ana, aliso, and ladera become *so* much of a bargain that Irvine's appeal isn't worth the price difference. Who knows if that will happen...</blockquote>

Actually, both forces will be at work. The substitution effect will siphon off buyers to other markets as prices continue to fall, and the ARM resets will make for more foreclosures.

Right now you are seeing the last of the knife-catcher activity at these price levels. As the credit crunch worsens, the amounts buyers can finance will continue to decline, and as the recession worsens, there will be fewer qualified buyers and more distressed sellers. Inventories do not have to be huge, there just needs to be more sellers than buyers, and the sellers need to be motivated.

Back