Why should one buys a Live/work loft?

bkshopr_IHB

Most of the Olson projects have similar names “something-walk”. Most of the builders who do infill projects employ staffs that know politic and process projects through a very vigorous review procedure in matured cities or towns. Staffs often were recruited with strong marketing and MBA background rather than strong construction and design background. The outcome of the project with the strength and expertise of the type of personal fulfills the social and revitalization role in a neglected neighborhood but fails to deliver function and amenities for quality living and architectural aesthetic.

Live/work is an indication where the Townhouse floor plans fall short in delivering functioning bedrooms with adequate light and ventilation. The width of the plan is often too narrow and the lack of light in the interior sandwiched units were forced to open up without walls to define bedrooms to the large glass windows wall located at both ends of the narrow unit.

The small footprint forbids active living spaces on the ground floor since the alley loaded garage occupied most of the area. The remainder is just enough for a home office and an ADA (America Disability Acts) handicap powder room. This ground floor space meets all the handicap requirements as a retail and business use. This ground floor is called B-2 occupancy by the building permit. The residential portion of the town home has to be legally separated by a fire door. This door helps to control fire from spreading from one area to another. In theory a space for business is likely to catch fire than the residential. This is the reason why there is a door that protects stairs going up to the living area at the second floor. The lack of yard and outdoor space is evident in this type of product so the term “loft” really means the lacking of a real house.

The bedrooms are all scattered between levels and is not for family with kids. Most of the time there are not even decent bedrooms. For those who own a loft with real functional bedroom are lucky.

Since live/work is a terrible setup with bad floor plan. The only thing to do is to open up the space and create lots of glass and volume to distract the occupants. It is all about the spaciousness, airy and lots of modern glass. The furniture has to float and privacy of the bedroom is often compromise. Who cares this is a product since a bachelor or a newly weds who want no children so privacy is not an issue.

The key component of the infill site has to be big enough for some repetition of cookie cutter layouts. Sites with large abandoned warehouses and manufacturing are choice properties. Many are located in undesirable and abandoned part of town where often occupied by homeless and graffiti artists. Very few builders would buy residential lots and combine them into a single contiguous parcel. The zoning change and home owners holding out are two discouraging factors. Since any development would clean up the blight in the community. Cities love these project and the home owners near by most of the time don't care to object. Getting rid of the homeless and loiterings are great.

Maximization of the lot without recreational amenities is the key to optimize profit. Homeowners who live there have to rely on the existing urban fabric such as pedestrian oriented stores, restaurants and places of cultural interests. Projects such as the Santiago Lofts and Olson’s Depot Walks are located at the wrong places where the restaurants and retails are too isolated from the projects.

The business component at the lower level of the live/work if is used as service and retails then must be at places of high exposure and easy to find locations. Safety and security is paramount for consumers. Santiago Lofts fail miserably at its location.

Since the floor plan is bad for living so 100% business use is a strong possibility. Location and abundance of safety parking are the key to success for live/work. So far I have not found any that solve the parking, safety issue and high exposure location. The quiet locations are the worst for live work. It will become more for residential than commercial and residents will dictate its final fate. Front Street and others in Ladera Ranch are jokes as live/work.

City Place across the street from Nordstrom Main place is by far the only one that makes sense and solves all of the issues I mentioned earlier. It has sold very well in this sluggish market. All the wide units are all sold out. Price ranges from 700k-800k.

<p>what do you think about Vantis in Aliso Viejo, it's the largest live/work units I've seen, they are on, I think the street enterprise, right next to the lennar corporate offices;</p>

<p>soco walk in downtown fullerton is by olson right? - that seems to be a nice location, for the people tourists,</p>

<p>also, Central Park West, should be a nice location...</p>

Soco walk is so cramp. And on one side of the project is an older neighborhood. As I drove away from the sale office, I saw a bunch of hoodlums across the street. They appear to be up to no good.

<p>I am noticing some big name builders are getting into the "infill" projects. Brooksfield homes and John Laing homes. </p>

<p>I believe I posted this before: Brooksfield homes project in Anaheim is surrounded on 2 sides by railroad tracks. On the north side is an old industrial structure and on the south side, right as you exit the community, is an elementary school. And you have to wonder why they need an onsite 24 hr security guard.</p>

<p>BK -</p>

<p>Do you know what the Laing communities in Huntington Beach are going to be like? Will they be in the general area as the Brightwater project by Hearthside Homes (Bolsa Chica wetlands) ?</p>

<em>>></em><em>The lack of yard and outdoor space is evident in this type of product so the term “loft” really means the lacking of a real house.</em>

BK, you crack me up.

And I've already seen graffiti on the new buildings at Santiago Lofts.

<p>Re: SoCo Walk</p>

<p>"SoCo" means "south of Commonwealth". It used to be a run down area, but they are/were trying to change that. For example, the very popular Hero's bar used to be located in downtown Fullerton on Wilshire (I believe). He bought a lot of customers to that area back in the early 90's when reviving the old downtowns was just becoming fashionable. He was very sucessful and the landlord decided to thank him by jacking his rent. So, he decided to relocate to just a couple of blocks south. However, the new location was across the main thoroughfare Commonwealth and that whole area was a ghost town, so the rent rent was much less. People were skeptical that he would succeed, but he did! His patrons followed and another bar opened up next door. This portion of SoCo is viable thanks to him.</p>

<p>However, if you continue south you enter "Fullerton's Toker Town" which is an old barrio. Beautiful old houses with beautiful jacaranda trees (just drive down Valencia - during the day!). The Zoot Suit store on Harbor says it all. Back in the day you use to see "F.T.T." spray painted all over the place, but it doesn't seem to be as bad (spray paint-wise) these days. However, you would NOT want to go jogging through those neighborhoods, especially during the night.</p>

<p>That SoCo Walk development is right on Toker Town's border as far as I can tell. I noticed the Olson Homes web site didn't put a map showing the site's location. They also forgot to mention its proximity to Toker Town!</p>

<p>F.T.T R 13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</p>

<p>Re: South Brea Lofts</p>

<p>I am interested to see how this does. I would love to know what kind of small botique-type business is going to be able to support the prices required for this place. Can a coffee joint make it? I think there are TWO coffee joints located across the street on Birch. Law office? Not enough space for a full office, from what I've heard. Barber shop? Better have a lot of high paying clients. Nail manicure place? Good luck. Mortgage broker? Maybe a few years ago, but not now!</p>

<p>bkshopr said "graffiti artists".</p>

<p>Sorry bk but I think I am going to have to disagree with you here. Implying that they are "artists" is insulting to those who actually have artistic talent with spray paint. These azz hats are simply taggers who can't even spell. If a beautiful mural was painted on my wall I wouldn't care but when some bleeping piece of bleep tags some mispelled crap on my wall I could, well just know it wouldn't be plesant.</p>

<p>Eva,</p>

<p>Seriously? There's already grafitti on Santiago Lofts?...geez</p>

<p>Oh, have you guys heard of Harbor Lofts?.....Did you know the builder consider walls as upgrades?! Yes, if you want walls in your loft it will cost more.....hahahaha...crazy.</p>

<p>I almost forgot. The walkway(s) to your loft are called "catwalk". If you're on the 2nd floor or above, they're basically suspended paths to your unit. Imagine on a wet rainy day. Good luck on running to your doors with the groceries.</p>

>>Seriously? There's already grafitti on Santiago Lofts?...geez

Yeah, some tagger already put a marker to one of the low light posts. I'm sure Lennar will have painted it over by now.

<p>When there is graffiti that usually means the location is too secluded and no visual surveillance. That is exactly the location one should not build a loft project. On the same note instead of a tagger a burglar with a U-Haul truck could empty out ones home.</p>

<p>Most decaying cities promote live/work lofts to drive out the hood rats socially and economically. The biggest problem I see with is that the new residents having to deal with all the bad problems as the neighborhood is being transformed. The retail and restaurant ammenities are not quite there yet and may not take place for years. The sight of empty retail store fronts and vacant spaces could hurt the perception during the recession.</p>

<p>The better projects are being built in mature locations with time tested retails and commercials. Convenient freeway access and strong identity. Land is scarce at such a infill location. Good size project is rare to come by.</p>

<p>Aliso Viejo in my opinion is not the right location. A business park and strip mall adjacency is not enough of ammenities to sustain life for live/work. Other essential mix should include banks, Fedex kinkos, an assortment of reataurants with different price range, market, regional shopping mall, theatres, hospitals, and high traffic visibility. This product is very life style driven. Any shortcoming in delivering the proper environmental ambiance could bury its success.</p>

<p>I think Reason would agree with me since he is quite "hip" and well traveled who knows a lot about this type of products.</p>

<p>Bk,</p>

<p>I agree. These live/work projects need to have some type of anchor business to bring in the customers for the live/work businesses. I was at Santiago Lofts awhile back and the sales lady tried to sell me this one unit that was facing an old industrial building. What type of business frontage is that? Knowing that they are marketing these projects to small business owners, Lennar should do alittle bit more research and planning.</p>

<p>And right around the corner from Santiago Lofts is the Artists Village. Blahhhh. It's been 2 years now since the project had been completed. After 40 minutes of trying to find parking. I walked to Main St. to check out the live/work artist units. Not one "store" was open. And who the heck decided on the dreary dark green exterior paint? You would think artists are a lively bunch who prefer bright colors. </p>

<p>One good thing about my little venture was I found a great Mexican grocery store on 3rd Street near Bush St. They serve serve very good asada burritos and carnitas tacos....they were muy deliciosos!</p>

Like I said parking and safety are important. The artist Village IMO is too early for the neighborhood. City Place up the street is much better and Nordstrom is a good neighbor. I love the hispanic eateries by 4th. Mendoza is one of them. However, I still missed the place where I grew up. The first El Pollo Loco started there as well as the Baja style fish taco. The family then sold the company to Denny Restaurant Corporation who expanded the franchise El Pollo Loco.

Back