Why should feng shui be considered?

bkshopr_IHB

Octagonal mirror over the front door is essential to reflect off the evil that is trying to enter into your home. It is also used to reflect off bad energy (chi) from bad neighbors across the street or unwanted energy caused by the manmade or natural environment. Manmade element could be a long street and the house sits at the axis of the tee intersection or the house is situated in the path of strong wind like Santa Ana or physical land form that channel wind velocity.

Ghost spirit is perceived as harmful “chi”. The spirits exist in places like cemetery and places that caused numerous fatalities. Many deaths caused by bad accidents and murders are spirit that lingers and could not find their restful and peaceful destination. Camera with high shutter speed could capture the spirits’ 1/400 of a second existence. Not possible be seen by a naked eye. The glass lenses are what enabled the photographers to document the spirits existence. Mirror is another devise to capture spirits’ reflection.

Chinese buyers choose their home site far away from negative “chi” and ghost spirits. Irvine will never be a place with a cemetery. Most Chinese prefer to buy new homes because older homes had many hidden secrets and possible bad spirits. Neighborhood with 80 years and older vintage homes is not popular among the Chinese middle class. San Marino and Arcadia offers relatively newer homes built during the 50’s and 60’s are acceptable because the possibility of death inside the home could be researched and recorded. For the Chinese who live in old vintage homes feng shui master performed ritual to help the unsettling spirits find peace at their restful place and away from the houses.

As one falls asleep his spirit leaves the physical body for the duration of the resting period. The spirit would be startled by seeing its reflection on the mirror. This is also why feng shui do not recommend mirrors in sleeping area.

Does spirit really exist? Numerous studies were conducted on the weight of dying persons the moment before death and immediately after death. The subjects were women and men of different ages, sizes, and ethnicity. The conclusions are consistent the differential weight loss was 8 grams. A dying infant and an obese 600 pounds man both had 8 grams evaporated from the body between the one minute between life and death. Could this be the weight of a soul (spirit)?

The disclosure of death within a home I believe is a mandatory disclosure in recent real estates transaction.

My undergraduate degree was from Harvey Mudd College in the field of Physics. I was fascinated by the theory of Feng Shui and its science. This further leaded me into my current field in assisting clients in building better environment.

<p>I had a strange thing happen once that could not be explained.</p>

<p>Anybody have any personal ghost stories to tell?</p>

<p>Keep on posting bkshopr. Everytime I read of your posts, the more I look forward to your next one. Being an Asian, but having grown up in OC my entire life and knowing very little of any of this, I find it fascinating. </p>

<p>This makes me think of the story of the plane crash where Orchard Hills is being built....I bet that will deter some potential buyers? Story of the crash was posted in the OH thread.</p>

<p>Janet -</p>

<p>Unfortunately, I do not have any ghost stories to share, but you <em>have</em> to tell us your story! </p>

<p> </p>

I have one, not exactly ghost story though.

A family friend, a French engineer married to a Taiwanese woman, recently told my family that he got a piece of nice inheritance from his late father in law in a dream.

This French gentleman works for a high tech company, making about $200,000 a year. His Taiwanese father in law recently past away without leaving a will. They went to Taiwan to attend his funeral. One night in his dream, the father in law came to tell him about how his other children took most of his money and lost all in bad investment. The father felt sorry that he did not leave his only daughter and son in law anything so he came to instruct them to ask for a specific piece of rental property from his wife, the mother in law.

Well, it turned out that his wife had the exact same dream the night before but did not dare to say anything. Together they decided to bring it up during the family meeting. His wife's brothers were shocked that they even knew about that piece of rental property. Without much protest from the brothers, they inherited an apartment building in Taipei.

The engineer told us the story because he decided to take an early retirement and move to Taiwan to care for his mother in law.

<p>Bk,</p>

<p>As always, brilliant. The strange thing is. My wife and I are not into this feng shui stuff. </p>

<p>But we have decided not to purchase older homes for the reason that you'd mentioned. Recently, we went against looking into foreclosures. We just don't think it's good karma to know that the previous tenants must have had a stressful time. We keep imagining the arguements that might have occurred between the spouses. And the effect that might have had on the children (if any).</p>

<p>As to ghost, my father said back in the old country. He saw plenty. My parents first home when they arrived to this country. Again, my father swore he saw a dark shadow in the bedroom. He literally yelled and his face turned white that one night. </p>

<p>I was driving, alone, from Denver to Philadelphia.</p>

<p>I stopped for the night in St. Louis, and pulled into a hotel parking lot.</p>

<p>When I tried to do normal things, like turn off the radio, lights etc., they went completely haywire.</p>

<p>I mean the light switch caused the windshield wipers to go on, the radio controls caused the lights to go on and off, the horn blared on its own, etc.</p>

<p>It completely freaked me out! </p>

<p>I checked-in and slept with the lights on.</p>

<p>I spent the entire next day waiting for a mechanic to find the problem.</p>

<p>No problem was found - I continued home - and it never, ever happened again! </p>

<p> </p>

We had a rental where the prior renter died in the bedroom. Didn't bother us a bit. The only problem was that the plumbing kept plugging up. The evil spirits must have been trying to escape through the <em>toilet</em>.

And boy did those evil spirits stink. Just kidding.

I'm fascinated by peoples beliefs in things like this. Completely foreign to me and I don't believe any of it, but it is good to know should I ever want to sell a house here.

Hey bkshopr,

Wait a minute ... didn't catch that whole ghost/spirit 8g thing at first. Coming from someone with a scientific background that is a bit more unsettling. If you claim that a spirit/ghost has a mass of 8g, where does it get the energy to move from. There is such a thing as conservation of energy. Also, once a spriti/ghost has mass it should be pulled by gravity yet most "sightings" are of them either floating or flying. What happens when there is a strong wind? Do they just get blown away? Anyway, let's keep science from superstition ... what's next? the housing market is about to take off????

green_cactus

PS: I believe you are referring to the 21 grams (not 8) that a soul allegedly weighs - as in the movie title.

PSS: you might want to check <a href="http://www.snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp">www.snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp</a> for some more insight

<p>bkshopr,</p>

<p>You are scaring me too! I too come from a scientific background and does not believe in ghost or spirit stuffs. However, as strange as it sounds, as a re agent, I preview homes. I could swear, each home seems to have some sort of spirit.</p>

<p>I bought a home on a T-street with a set of stairs that go straight up from the front door, a bad Feng Shui house. So many unfortunate things happened, including a car crash into the house. Oh, not to mention, the house sat on landfill, and for the whole time I lived there, I always thought about I am sitting on a pile of "trash". That did not feel good.</p>

<p>Green,</p>

<p>Thank you for the correction. The 21 grams is correct. I got mixed up with the 8 grams movie title. As a student of science I kept the theory as a possibility. We would not have made so much advancement in field of science if we shoot down the illogical, intangible, and inexplainable concepts. I am not endorcing the idea and I even have a question mark behind my statement. No one have been able to disprove it either.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I was at an open house in Floral Park and the owners were nice enough to give me a tour. As they walk me through their home, they would say, "This use to be one of our sons room. He's married now." ...."This is our daughter's room. She moved out 2 yrs ago.".......You can hear the sadness in their voice as though they were reminiscing of days gone by. They literally gave me a history lesson of their family life. You can almost feel it.</p>

<p>Oh and the last bedroom: "This is the room our 90 yr old mother "used" to sleep in." ...I almost ask, "Where is she?"</p>

<p>Maybe memories linger?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>For the last 30 years I have been paying a lot of attention to our built environment and location with bad feng shui shared many similarities. I thank NIR for sharing her story. There are invisible energy forces all around us and our human sensory is not able to detect the signals. For example the electric magnetic field around us could possibly cause damage to our body and yet we can not feel the forces. </p>

<p>The magnetic compass could always point to the north at any location on this planet but we have to rely on looking at the sun for the north direction. Try to operate a radio at location where power line or the presence of strong magnetic field you will hear all the static but our human body would not trigger our pain sensory system but the molecular structure of our cells will begin to mutate other known as cancer.</p>

<p>We do not understand the wavelength of how spirit travel. Does it have mass and density? The idea of cellular phone just 30 years was considered fictional look at it today. There are still many unknown in science but keeping an open mind and paying attention to our environment and especially human behavior in certain settings. I am not a promoter of superstition I constantly look for scientific facts. I am fascinated by religion and the idea of heaven and hell. God and Satan, Ghost and angels. </p>

Back