Why pay for builder upgrades if they don't stand by it?

YellowFever said:
I saw this post that this dude's counter-top cracked after only 18 months.  That is unacceptable.  Worse is the builder is pushing back and not warrantying the work.

This tells me that I shall NOT buy any upgraded counter-top or flooring from the builder if they're not going to stand by it.  I think buying straight from Home Depot (Stonemark) is even better as they have a 15-year warranty!

"Our Stonemark? granite comes pre-sealed with a 15-year limited warranty "
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,15268.15.html

I bought a 5 year extended warranty for my fridge from HomeDepot and the service was excellent.  Home Depot set-up repair/replacement parts and got the job done.  They didn't push back!

I wouldn't get too wild about it.. it was one story. Never heard issues with many others.  I guess you can flip out at every little story on just about anything.

Big key here is that the upgrade price is usually much better than going out to buy/install new countertops.  But hey.. you can do that math and choose whatever works for you best.

First of all, upgrade that kitchen counter top from the builder will be a lot cheaper than doing afterward by 3rd party.  When doing it through the builder, you are only paying for the price difference between the stander counter top that come with the house and the up grade one. 

However when you are doing it afterward, you are paying the full amount of the new counter top, the removal of existing counter top plus the repair required doing the demolition/removal process.  Thus, this is one of the few exceptions that going with the builder is actually cheaper. 

Regarding to that counter top crack case, the builder only has one year warranty but the counter top manufacture has a 10 year warranty which should cover it. 

YellowFever said:
What if I buy cheap Chinese counter tops and hire cheap chinese illegal immigrant laborers? 

My dad did that.  He had burned down the kitchen once (partially).  Allstate Insurance paid him $28,000.  He spent only $6,000 to redo the kitchen.  ;D (true story)

Kitchen still holding up after 12 years.

For example, these guys:https://www.yelp.com/biz/eastern-construction-supplies-el-monte-2?osq=countertops
"Welcome to Eastern Construction Supplies Inc. We are the Factory Direct Wholesaler from Asian. For 10 years, ours Manufactory in Asian has bee a pioneer in the industry. "

The poorer their english, the better the price.  ;D

(yes, i'm being facetious again)

I think my full kitchen upgrade was about $1100 from granite to quartz.  Still not worth going outside and even doing it myself (If i knew how)

YellowFever said:
I saw this post that this dude's counter-top cracked after only 18 months.  That is unacceptable.  Worse is the builder is pushing back and not warrantying the work.

This tells me that I shall NOT buy any upgraded counter-top or flooring from the builder if they're not going to stand by it.  I think buying straight from Home Depot (Stonemark) is even better as they have a 15-year warranty!

"Our Stonemark? granite comes pre-sealed with a 15-year limited warranty "
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,15268.15.html

I bought a 5 year extended warranty for my fridge from HomeDepot and the service was excellent.  Home Depot set-up repair/replacement parts and got the job done.  They didn't push back!

Honestly this is probably the exception that proves the rule, since the builder typically will bend over backwards in cases like this?up until day 366 after coe that is ;D

YellowFever said:

Hola amigo.  I added an update to that thread.  Turned out pretty good.  Builder has continued to provide friendly, effective, and prompt service with all of my requests.  I think they were being a little tight lipped with this one b/c of the potential cost, but the builder & counter-top manufacturer worked together and exceeded my expectations.  Yes, my perfect stucco ticky tacky house in master planned suburban paradise has a tiny repaired crack in my counter-top, but shit happens.  Things are bound to break.  All parties involved have done great with the counter top issue IMO.  So nice to have that kind of service, which is pretty much non-existent with a resale house as far as I know.

Rock on.

someguy said:
YellowFever said:

Hola amigo.  I added an update to that thread.  Turned out pretty good.  Builder has continued to provide friendly, effective, and prompt service with all of my requests.  I think they were being a little tight lipped with this one b/c of the potential cost, but the builder & counter-top manufacturer worked together and exceeded my expectations.  Yes, my perfect stucco ticky tacky house in master planned suburban paradise has a tiny repaired crack in my counter-top, but shit happens.  Things are bound to break.  All parties involved have done great with the counter top issue IMO.  So nice to have that kind of service, which is pretty much non-existent with a resale house as far as I know.

Rock on.

So the title of the thread should now be, builder great service and fixed the problem.  ;)

lnc said:
First of all, upgrade that kitchen counter top from the builder will be a lot cheaper than doing afterward by 3rd party.  When doing it through the builder, you are only paying for the price difference between the stander counter top that come with the house and the up grade one. 

Sounds like times have changed.  For me, the standard was white tile and the upgrade to granite in the entire kitchen cost $8k.  I got it done for $3400 after COE.  Seemed really wasteful to watch the guys demo the perfectly installed white tile, but that's the way these things work.

YellowFever said:
woodburyowner said:
lnc said:

Sounds like times have changed.  For me, the standard was white tile and the upgrade to granite in the entire kitchen cost $8k.  I got it done for $3400 after COE.  Seemed really wasteful to watch the guys demo the perfectly installed white tile, but that's the way these things work.

That's right, in the not so old days, they were selling homes with small square tiles which were fugly.  But I can't imagine that those tiles cost that much.  In fact, they are so ugly I'd pay money to demo it the first week I got the home.  That's what I did in one of my rentals when the bathroom had these ugly tiles.  Replaced it with a full quartz slab, demo and install and parts included was just under $1200 at a SGV Chinese shop. (believe it or not).  Very well worth it.  The slab was large enough so that 2/3 of it was used for the master dual sink and 1/3 of it was used for the powder room.

I also used a SG area place for my remodel. Try not to laugh, but they made their lunch in my garage. They brought a small microwave and a rice cooker. (Something like that)
No overages, on time, and saved big time.

eyephone said:
So the title of the thread should now be, builder great service and fixed the problem.  ;)

haha, pretty much.  They certainly mitigated the problem, for now at least.

YellowFever said:
I don't think I like the fact that they just repaired it by filling it in.  Personally, I would've had them replace that entire counter-top or section of it.  This is the reason why he noted this on the paperwork, given all his years of experience, he knows what he's taking about.

I don't disagree with you at all.  A new counter is the surest way to eliminate the crack in the current one.  The thing is at this point it's not worth it to me to throw away the counter-top, make my kitchen unusable while they repair it, and damage/replace who knows what else in the process.  It's just a crack.  On the off chance that the resin does hold, awesome, so much time and waste avoided.  If it doesn't (and it sounds like the repair-man expects it won't), then we'll see what the next options are.

eyephone said:
I noticed you called us amigos. (You are Latino? What are your thoughts on the ICE raids?)

You're on a roll tonight  ;D  Most Latinos would call me a gringo.  I haven't heard about any ICE raids, can you explain? 

In general I would say we so cal residents benefit greatly from the skill and labor of many hard working Latinos.  They benefit from our system when they work hard to make a better life for themselves and their family.  I think they should follow the rules though.  And I think some of the rules need fixing.

Some people are desperate enough to break the rules.  The same could be said about many So Cal residents of many backgrounds though.

I'm not sure what I would do in their situation.  It's a complicated issue.  What do you think about the ICE raids?

Back