Why is GP cheaper from Price/Sqft compare to rest of Irvine

Depending on how you feel about the ground where it's build, that is another concern. But there are environmental concerns wherever you live, some less than others and people feel differently about certain things, so at the end of the day pick where you want.

The reason for this thread was to find out the catch. Besides Mello Roos do you see what is the catch?
Seems like you already have your opinion set on GP it doesnt matter what people say here. Like sleepy joe said, if it’s too good to be true, then it is.

Five Point builders are a bunch of greedy bastards. They dont set the price in GP lower because they want to save you money. 😀

I live in GP and was mainly attracted to the bigger lot + home sizes, modern design and nicer amenities despite the higher Mello Roos. TI tends to be very anti tax and has always been down on GP compared to EV / no mello roos areas. I’m still glad I chose GP and I used to live in EV.

I live in GP and was mainly attracted to the bigger lot + home sizes, modern design and nicer amenities despite the higher Mello Roos. TI tends to be very anti tax and has always been down on GP compared to EV / no mello roos areas. I’m still glad I chose GP and I used to live in EV.
Bigger lots? Are you referring to Altair? As far as I know, other than Altair, there's only another little section of GP that is even SFR. Most of GP is condos. I'll agree that the home design is modern, which I really like. Also, nicer amenities is NOT despite the higher MR, it's BECAUSE of the higher MR. 😂

I'll say, though, that GP is worth considering if you have little kids to take advantage of the nicer amenities.

Last edited:
The SFR lots were more generous but the GP trend has been towards more condos with each new neighborhood.

Pavilion (mostly SFR and some detached condos) ->
Beacon (half SFR and half detached and attached condos) ->
Parasol (all condos) ->
Cadence (some SFR and mostly detached condos) ->
Novel (all condos) ->
Rise (a few SFRs on motorcourts and mostly condos) ->
Solis (all condos)

Altair isn’t really part of GP. Key fobs don’t work outside of Altair. But it has the same crappy Mellos. Nearly all SFR and a few large detached condos. Most lots are standard/small but there’s some great premium lots.

If I were to buy in GP I’d aim for a resale SFR in Pavilion/Beacon/Cadence/Altair. These all have driveways on full size streets. No motor courts, missing sidewalks or narrow streets without street parking.

The difference in Mello Roos is $5-7K more a year compared to house prices which are $125-$175K more. Even if you live at this place for 30 years which is a long time and then leave you would pay max $210,000 more ($7K X 30 year).
In order to come up with the additional $7K/year in MR, you would need to have $175K invested in an investment (like a bond) that yields 4% annually. That's the general thought.

Did a quick glance, I don't think anyone else brought this up as well.

The mello Roos at the great park is perpetual. There is no expiration date of 20, or 30 years like the other older Irvine places.

Did a quick glance, I don't think anyone else brought this up as well.

The mello Roos at the great park is perpetual. There is no expiration date of 20, or 30 years like the other older Irvine places.
Also one of the pro: doesn’t some tracts get free music from the amphitheater?

I second the comment about square footage and lot size, which is exactly why I picked GP. Specifically, Pavilion Park, which is the first GP neighborhood, built around 2013/14. I have a true SFR, around 2900 sq ft on a 7200 sq ft lot. With Mello Roos in the low $7Ks. Even with the high taxes, nowhere else in Irvine do I feel I could get this bang for the buck … and I’m far enough from the freeway… can’t hear a thing. I love it here.

I second the comment about square footage and lot size, which is exactly why I picked GP. Specifically, Pavilion Park, which is the first GP neighborhood, built around 2013/14. I have a true SFR, around 2900 sq ft on a 7200 sq ft lot. With Mello Roos in the low $7Ks. Even with the high taxes, nowhere else in Irvine do I feel I could get this bang for the buck … and I’m far enough from the freeway… can’t hear a thing. I love it here.
Yup also gp doesn't have apartments.

Pavilion Park has zero attached residences, much better sense of open space and lots of parking (on most streets). There is the retirement complex off Ridge Valley but that's not really inside of Pavilion Park.

So seems like GP is where you get the most bang for your buck. That is what I am getting a sense of when looking at other parts of Irvine. Also regarding Mello Roos I did my research and it is for 40 years. But realistically even if it is for life time it does not matter when you sell the house the new owner is responsible for paying the Mello Roos as I do not imagine someone living in a house for more than 30 years especially if they buy the house in their 30's or 40's since they would downsize or move to another location considering their age would be in the 70's

In order to come up with the additional $7K/year in MR, you would need to have $175K invested in an investment (like a bond) that yields 4% annually. That's the general thought.
Right you can take the extra $175K you saved by paying less for the same size house in GP and get 4% interest and pay off the extra Mello Roos.

Right you can take the extra $175K you saved by paying less for the same size house in GP and get 4% interest and pay off the extra Mello Roos.
Except you DON'T get an extra $175k though. Assuming you put down 20%, that's $35,000. With 4% interest, you only get $1400 a year from that. Then you'll have to pay taxes on the income as well. And in a couple of years, that 4% interest will turn into 1% interest when the Fed cuts rates.

Back