Why Irvine Consistently Ranks As The Safest City In America

Vinster

http://www.businessinsider.com/irvine-california-is-americas-safest-city-2013-7

According to the article, it's not because Irvine PD is good a covering up violent crime.  :)

It's due to wealth and demographics.

"It's basically a very affluent place with little poverty and a highly educated, often highly skilled population, many of them professionals," Elliott Currie, a criminology professor at University California-Irvine, told BI. "This isn't the population that's typically at high risk of getting involved in violent crime ? quite the opposite."

Vinster said:
http://www.businessinsider.com/irvine-california-is-americas-safest-city-2013-7

According to the article, it's not because Irvine PD is good a covering up violent crime.  :)

It's due to wealth and demographics.

"It's basically a very affluent place with little poverty and a highly educated, often highly skilled population, many of them professionals," Elliott Currie, a criminology professor at University California-Irvine, told BI. "This isn't the population that's typically at high risk of getting involved in violent crime ? quite the opposite."

Not that surprising.  Crime is generally a localized event.  Criminals do not generally venture outside of their immediate neighborhood.  Most crimes are acts of opportunity rather than planning.  People get desperate and do something dumb.  Of course, there are gang crimes but those do not affect areas where there are no gangs and no turf to battle. 

That's why I am always amused at people who live in gated communities in Irvine. 

Best quote of the article:

"While Irvine is heavily Anglo, it is also heavily Asian. These are groups that historically 'get along' and share the same values, admire each other, and co-exist peaceably,"...

In laymen terms, Asians and Whities are homies.

thats not particularly "true"... ive been lead to believe that there is a income factor and social mobility that comes into play...

i think to be more accurate, it should say that affluent whites get along with affluent asians... if anything in that equation shifts to something else like poor asians or poor whites, uneducated whites or uneducated asians, then they are totally NOT homies... (ie affluent white getting along with poor/uneducated asian, poor/uneducated white getting along with affluent asians, or poor/uneducated white getting along with poor/uneducated asian)

I like the quote about people needing to have money and cherish order in order to live [in Irvine] due to the association. 

"Irvine is a planned community and all properties built there, from its creation, have had an kind of economic selectivity," Leap told BI. "Each village has its own 'Covenants, Codes and Restrictions' which is an informal socioeconomic gatekeeper. People must have money and cherish order to buy and live here.""

Gotta have the moolah to live in Irvine , if ya don't , consider Santa Ana ;)

world chaos said:
thats not particularly "true"... ive been lead to believe that there is a income factor and social mobility that comes into play...

i think to be more accurate, it should say that affluent whites get along with affluent asians... if anything in that equation shifts to something else like poor asians or poor whites, uneducated whites or uneducated asians, then they are totally NOT homies... (ie affluent white getting along with poor/uneducated asian, poor/uneducated white getting along with affluent asians, or poor/uneducated white getting along with poor/uneducated asian)

Yeah, I for one (an Asian) wouldn't want to associate with these people

Attachments

• whitetrash.jpg
    whitetrash.jpg
    638.5 KB · Views: 273
world chaos said:

I would have to disagree with you. Generally, cultural values is the driving force in creating harmony between Asians and Whities.

JasonTheArtist said:
world chaos said:

I would have to disagree with you. Generally, cultural values is the driving force in creating harmony between Asians and Whities.

nothing to do with cultural values or whatnot, it's MONEY. I would take Kobe as my neighbor over these white folks that's for sure!

Attachments

• white-trash-family.jpg
    white-trash-family.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 259
jamboreedude said:
JasonTheArtist said:
world chaos said:

nothing to do with cultural values or whatnot, it's MONEY. I would take Kobe as my neighbor over these white folks that's for sure!

Are you arguing just to argue? Because you are missing the point. If you take two different ethnicities (Blacks & Whites, Asians & Mexicans, Whites and Asian, etc.) Whites and asians are most likely to live in harmony than any other bunch. AND because we are talking about where they reside, wealth is only a limiting factor to the equation. So, a middle class asian like yourself would most likely live in a neighborhood that the white trash family you posted could not afford.

hmm... i see ur point, but im also curious as to what are the similarities or differences in white/asian cultural values that you feel causes this?

For a variety of reasons, Asian immigrants are the most affluent in the USA. They particularly like to own their homes and maintain high property values. I think a lot of studies have shown that people who own their homes care a lot more about the community, safety, schools, etc. than renters.

This is off topic but it's one reason why the gov't has pushed home ownership for the poor.

The title of this post / headline is misleading. By "safest city", they actually mean safest among large cities, not all cities. It is only looking at cities with populations over 100k and in some cases in other articles, over 200k. Bedroom communities are unaccounted for. When a list includes cities with smaller populations, even slightly, results differ. I'm sure anyone who reads the article will get that but surprisingly, some Irvine residents I've spoken with in the past seem to not look past the headline which may give a false impression. For example, ranking cities with a pop of 20k or more, Irvine has come in at #9 in the past, with Laguna Woods (#1), RSM (#2), Laguna Niguel(#3) all being OC cities with lower crime per 1,000.

paperboyNC said:
For a variety of reasons, Asian immigrants are the most affluent in the USA.

Article: Foreign investors buying up all the Brownstones in Brooklyn and pushing the prices up even higher

The source -- "Europe, Israel, and Australia".

SoCal said:
paperboyNC said:
For a variety of reasons, Asian immigrants are the most affluent in the USA.

Article: Foreign investors buying up all the Brownstones in Brooklyn and pushing the prices up even higher

The source -- "Europe, Israel, and Australia".

Brooklyn is too ghetto for asians.

Back