Why does my doxie howl?

GraceOMalley_IHB

Whenever BK's daughter practices piano the dog sits next to her and howls... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sometimes for over an hour. Like someone is murdering him.

Why does he do this? Its not that shes bad at the piano, shes actually really good. Is he trying to sing with her?

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1254552595]Whenever BK's daughter practices piano the dog sits next to her and howls... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sometimes for over an hour. Like someone is murdering him.

Why does he do this? Its not that shes bad at the piano, shes actually really good. Is he trying to sing with her?</blockquote>

They are an odd breed. You will make that dog very happy if you take him outside to the garage when she practices, because obviously he hates pianos.

Either that or hire Cesar the Dog Whisperer.

I have had many over the years and they all howl when someone is playing an instrument. The kids think it's really funny but I know the poor dog is scared to death.

[quote author="tmare" date=1254561542]I have had many over the years and they all howl when someone is playing an instrument. The kids think it's really funny but I know the poor dog is scared to death.</blockquote>

But he goes up next to her and sits there. When I turn the vaccuum on he runs like the wind so I know hes afraid of that. But he sits right next to her..

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1254562401][quote author="tmare" date=1254561542]I have had many over the years and they all howl when someone is playing an instrument. The kids think it's really funny but I know the poor dog is scared to death.</blockquote>

But he goes up next to her and sits there. When I turn the vaccuum on he runs like the wind so I know hes afraid of that. But he sits right next to her..</blockquote>

Yes, the funny thing is that they never run away. Hey, maybe they are just singing, I don't know.

<a href="http://thepetshrink.info/2008/04/10/howling-why-do-dogs-do-it/">http://thepetshrink.info/2008/04/10/howling-why-do-dogs-do-it/</a>

Howling along to music

Then there are the truly gifted ones who only howl at the sound of a specific melody. I once knew a German Shepherd who would sleep through every one of Beethoven?s symphonies, but on the first note of Midnight Sonata, the boy would wake up, cock an ear and by the third beat he had joined in with his own impersonation of the French horn - quite remarkable. We often tried to catch him out but he never faltered or put a paw out of place. Kiazer?s incredible ear for music remains a mystery.

But what about those midnight insomniacs who howl at the moon? ?dogs that is. And what about dogs that howl when their folks sing or play musical instruments?. are they trying to tell them something that their best friends wouldn?t dare to mention? Makes you think.

So, the question should be: are our dogs serenading, crooning or lamenting? I?ve got a suspicion they sing different songs for different occasions. And just like humans, I think some dogs can and some can?t. But I guess the bottom line is, it?s all in the genes and whether they have the right ear or not.

Daschunds are funny breeds - I wiork with someone who was a vet tech and she says that they think they can fly since they're always trying to jump off of things and hurting their backs. Although I'm sure it's SUPER annoying when your stepdaughter is trying to play the piano, come on - that's really cute that the dog sits next to her and sings along.

[quote author="ohnelly" date=1254605384]Daschunds are funny breeds - I wiork with someone who was a vet tech and she says that they think they can fly since they're always trying to jump off of things and hurting their backs. Although I'm sure it's SUPER annoying when your stepdaughter is trying to play the piano, come on - that's really cute that the dog sits next to her and sings along.</blockquote>

Its not annoying really its hilarious. But I dont want to be traumatizing him either if he is indeed afraid. Usually at least once during each practice both she and I stop sit there giggling.. Seriously I wonder if hes trying to do kareoke or singing along or what is going on in that little walnut sized brain of his.

He does try to jump like our other dog, and hes pretty good at it, but when he tries to run and goes sliding across the hardwood because his back is too long and the velocity of his rear smacks into the wall and then looks around to see if there were any witnesses, now THAT is an epic fail.

Back