Why do floor plans have courtyard?

bk, when i first saw all the stone in those bathrooms the first thing i thought of was "how are you ever gonna clean it". one of my first jobs was as a maid at a hotel and i look at things a little differently than most - it doesn't matter if it's a floor covering, countertop, cabinet face, moulding, sink, a piece of furniture - it has to pass the "easy to clean" test. also, the bathrooms seem rather cave-ish with all that stone. glass sinks look pretty in pictures but don't look so good if you don't wipe them down after each hand wash or tooth brushing :)

I am not a maid and I think about the issue with common sense. Most clubs and restaurants need to hide the dirt for a high maintenance bathroom. vomitings along the sink are common in clubs and stones were often employed as back splash for that purpose.

Dark slate tiles also hide a lot of dirt as well. The health and safety code only govern the the detail for the flooring transitioning to the vertical wall surface along the base of the wall. It must not be a crisp 90 degree corner where baterias and germs could live in the tight crevice and mopping it is difficult. All public bathrooms are required to have a cove (1/4 round) vinyl base or a piece of curve tile to soften the 90 degree transition for easy cleaning.

Other than that any material could be employed for the wall and flooring material.

Higher end hotels often use a very light color marble or polished lime stone palette and white linens so the patrons could examine the premise for their cleaniness. The lower chain motels re-use busy floral pattern comforters and faux granite pattern formica to hide stains.

Finally, homeowners like the trendy use of stone at clubs and restaurants and incorporate them into their custom remodel.

[quote author="anela" date=1209553723]bk, when i first saw all the stone in those bathrooms the first thing i thought of was "how are you ever gonna clean it". one of my first jobs was as a maid at a hotel and i look at things a little differently than most - it doesn't matter if it's a floor covering, countertop, cabinet face, moulding, sink, a piece of furniture - it has to pass the "easy to clean" test. also, the bathrooms seem rather cave-ish with all that stone. glass sinks look pretty in pictures but don't look so good if you don't wipe them down after each hand wash or tooth brushing :)</blockquote>

Here is an interesting Northridge mid-century modern by a different architect. I saw it, and oh so much deferred maintenance, but a very cool design, not marred by any upgrades whatsoever. (!)

http://www.blancardi.net/Default.aspx?page=6&listingID=f9668468-6539-4db4-b355-1de827859634&ltype=ofl

[quote author="JustLooking" date=1215471424]Here is an interesting Northridge mid-century modern by a different architect. I saw it, and oh so much deferred maintenance, but a very cool design, not marred by any upgrades whatsoever. (!)

http://www.blancardi.net/Default.aspx?page=6&listingID=f9668468-6539-4db4-b355-1de827859634&ltype=ofl</blockquote>

Interesting posting and I like how clever the agent used the term "Mid Century home" (1950 builder craps) in borrowing the success of Julius Schulman's legacy of "Mid Century Modern" (1940-1960 classic case study houses).

Here are the element to look for in a mid century modern. The structural system is the primary aesthetic for the interior and exterior. Seemless transition between indoor and outdoor relationship. Interior walls must extend from the inside passing through the glass line to the outside. Minimal use of inside partition walls by using bathroom and kitchen core as active and passive room divisions. Emphasis of corner glass and expansive glass in capturing view of outdoor landscape. Pitch of roof should be less than 2:12 pitch in maintaining its modern line. A single sheet of glass often extend from floor to ceiling in expressing the planar elements of walls and roof.

well, i like the cinerama, but not so much Perry Neuschatz's home design

plus, who would live in Northridge with no A/C? jeez

Back