Why can't PCs learn from Apple?

irvinehomeowner

Man... the new MacBook Air is nutso:
http://www.apple.com/macbookair/

They have a 13" and an 11" model. It's funny but Jobs bagged on Netbooks because of the iPad but I guess the 11" is technically a small notebook (running Core 2 Duo processor).

Both have flash drives, no optical drive and are super-thin... I wish Dell or HP knew how to make machines like these. Looks like I may just have to get one and run BootCamp.

First, it was because Apple make a slicker, sexier product that was easier to use (iPod, iPhone).  Now, it's because Apple has become cool and their marketing is the best in the world.

Apple wasn't the first to make a digital music player, nor a smartphone, nor a netbook... but every time they do, everyone hops on the bandwagon and tries to copy.  How long have tablets been around? 5, 6 years? Then iPad and BOOM, people start making iPad-ish tablets and ditching their stylus+PC tablets. Smartphones.... 7, 8 years?  Winphones, Palms, with basically the same exact concept... then iPhone is released and Microsoft and Palm throw away their OSs trying to do the same thing Apple did.

What other companies don't do right, IMO, is think about the user experience (and the market the hell out of it), come up with sub-par ideas, and then Apple comes along with something sleeker, sexier, easier to use, but not technically better (from the specs, hell the specs might even be 2 years outdated) and then other companies practically crap themselves trying to come up with an imitation.

I saw these the other day... and I cannot believe how Apple can do this with Intel parts yet other PC makers can't.

Sony, Dell, HP... Asus and Acer... how can Apple be killing you like this in design? It's not like TIC where they own all the land... you guys should be able to compete with Apple.

Put the thinnest PC Netbook next to the 11" MBA and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Plus the 11" MBA isn't a NETbook... it's a NOTEbook... another difference... and it starts at $999.

I would be willing to pay $1k for a PC 11" NOTEbook as thin as the MBA.

And still... the question remains... why can't a PC maker create a NETbook or NOTEbook as thin as these MBAs? Dell came close with one of their Adamos... but it was a bit clunky (the folding mechanism was weird).

You're comparing different products for different segments. This notebook isn't for people who use optical media or need lots of storage space.

For that, you would get something like you mentioned or a MacBook Pro.

And even for that category... why can't a PC maker make more notebooks with a form factor like the Macbook Pros? HP came close with their Envy series. The Acer TimelineX's come close too... but still aren't as svelte.

If you start comparing specs, you've missed the whole point of buying an Apple.  Personally, I love the cool retro Core 2 Duo processors that Apple uses.

Apple uses i-series processors in the MacBook Pro models. The Airs use Core 2 Duo... more likely for cost and battery life... and still more powerful than Atoms.

BTW: I don't own a single Apple notebook or computer... I just admire their designs.

MacBook Pro prices start at $1,199 and go up to $2,299.  They should be more powerful than a $250 netbook.

IrvinePilot said:
Personally, I love the cool retro Core 2 Duo processors that Apple uses.

Ba-zing!

But in all seriousness, Apple has marketed themselves successfully enough that they are are luxury item, that most importantly, people will pay for.  The same reason Mercedes and Lexus can charge $100+ for an oil change and Louis can sell shoes for $500.

I saw a picture of the new air yesterday at the mall and I started laughing -- whyyyy you ask?

it was a picture showing the side of it, and its shaped like a wedge.  This is HILARIOUS because when the kindle first came out (the original kindle) it was ALSO shaped like a wedge and peopel threw a goddamn fit and went "waahh waah what is with that stupid wedge shape, amazon needs to learn from Apple and make products that are attractive and symmetrical, not shaped like a WEDGE, that's dumb, waaaah waaaah".

Branding counts for a lot.

Once Verizon gets the Iphone, I may consider purchasing an iMac just for the sake of better integration.

irvinehomeowner said:
iPhones sync just fine with a PC running iTunes. How is the integration with a Mac any better?

Right now my BB video/camera capabilities suck. If I had a Iphone, I would probably do a lot more kids videos and pictures. The iLife software package on macs comes free and is very easy to use. I especially like iMovie and how it looks so good on the iPhone screen. The software for pc video editing is very clunky.

Ah... so it's more of what a Mac can do over a PC... not that they necessarily integrate better with an iPhone.

I want to get a either a Pro or an Air because they are thinner and much nicer looking than any PC notebook. I'm sad they removed the backlit keyboard from the new Air models... that's actually a very useful feature if you've ever had a notebook with a backlit keyboard.

irvinehomeowner said:
Ah... so it's more of what a Mac can do over a PC... not that they necessarily integrate better with an iPhone.

I want to get a either a Pro or an Air because they are thinner and much nicer looking than any PC notebook. I'm sad they removed the backlit keyboard from the new Air models... that's actually a very useful feature if you've ever had a notebook with a backlit keyboard.

For Calendar and email I am a Google fan, so Android would probably be a better OS for me. But I still haven't found an Android device as well packaged as the iPhone IMHO. So if I end up with an iPhone I will be torn about using the Apple MobileMe service versus sticking with Google. Most likely will stick with Google and have to use their Snc/Gmail apps.

I don't know what exactly you are looking for in terms of 'packaging' on an iphone vs an andriod phone, but we have an andriod phone (its the incredible but the evo is the same thing with a larger screen) and its pretty sweet.  I like it a lot, the configurability, the interface to your google accounts, facebook, twitter, etc.  In terms of the "interact with the internet" packaging my understanding is that an andriod  phone beats an iphone hands down.  Iphones integrate really well with other apple software and productivity software, but for interacting with the internet andriod phones are on top.   

And check out the evo because its pretty sweet - so much SCREEN.

The Incredible is the best Android phone out in my opinion. Not too big, not too small... and they didn't get rid of the optical touchpad that can be used for one-handed operation or in case your thumb isn't big enough to swipe while holding.

I think the Android handsets are being short sighted by omitting the optical touchpad, not only does it add additional (and more granular) navigation capabilities, but it could also help win over the RIM/BB crowd.

As for the EVO... I'm not down with the big screen phones... for a lady or a guy with a murse... sure... you can put it somewhere... but for those who put it in their pockets... you're gonna leave a mighty huge imprint on your jeans (if it can even fit in there).

Talyssa said:
I don't know what exactly you are looking for in terms of 'packaging' on an iphone vs an andriod phone, but we have an andriod phone (its the incredible but the evo is the same thing with a larger screen) and its pretty sweet.  I like it a lot, the configurability, the interface to your google accounts, facebook, twitter, etc.  In terms of the "interact with the internet" packaging my understanding is that an andriod  phone beats an iphone hands down.  Iphones integrate really well with other apple software and productivity software, but for interacting with the internet andriod phones are on top.   

And check out the evo because its pretty sweet - so much SCREEN.

The iPhone feels right in my hand, some of the other Android phones feel a little bulky. The HTC Incredible is closest to iPhone in terms of Goldilocks sizing. I also am impressed with the clarity of the screen and photo/video quality of the iPhone. Yes it may have less megabytes than its Android competitors, but that is not the end all of good digital photos. Also, despite the fast processors, Android phones still feel a little slow when it comes to the screen interface. I touch the screen and Androids don't seem to respond as crisply or accurately as an iPhone. Part of the problem is that Android's open architecture is being dumped on many types of devices--some are better executed than others. Apple only has the optimize for one device. There are certainly pluses and minuses for each OS. I am glad there are real choices in the marketplace today. I will also checkout the Windows Phone 7 when it comes to Verizon as well.

*foam* 

Gigantic post lost....so lazy..ok recap:

Iphone4 feels like a brick to me.  the incredible feels incredible.  I felt the same as IHO about the EVO but I saw a guy with one at a Gogol Bordello show and its pretty sweet, and he was certainly just carrying it around in his pockets although he was like 6'5" so maybe he had really large pockets  and PS perhaps your jeans are not baggy enough. 

As my honeybunny worked for a software company doing mobile dev til last year, and I am friends with someone who just made a mobile phone decision for a large company based on security concerns i am aware of hte following:
Blackberry still owns the most marketshare in the smartphone market (we are ignoring symbian because in its current state it is NOT competitive) followed by android and apple.  Windows 7 has a strong chance to kick RIM's butt - RIM has never been able to figure out the consumer market and has been surviving on businesses.  Well guess what RIM - Windows Mobile fully integrates (currently with excrucitating slowness and a HORRIBLE interface in its 6.5 incarnation) with Microsoft exchange, which OWNS business mail for the most part.  Windows mobile is currently also the only one that supports certian security features which many large and finance/health based businesses will probably want.   

Microsoft is terrible at consumer markets though. Their consumer devices department is basically a perpetual failure (other than the xbox) even though I love my zune HD and my Zune Pass.

Android should OWN the small and medium business market -- the seamless integration with gmail (which is an attractively featured and priced mail option for those that can't afford exchange), google documents (which cover most of the basics -- how many people really use all the features that MS Office offers?), google calenders, and really handles gmaps well.  Also the interface is pretty nice - once you break out of your bad habits the incredible is very intuitive and I find it pretty responsive (to be fair i have spent very little time with an iphone).

And the iphone will continue to own with its ability to do this to people:http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple

Back