Why are Culverdale Elementary School's tests scores so low...

randylee4_IHB

...compared to the other elementary schools in IUSD?

My wife and I are interested in finding a home in Westpark for the convenient location and great schools. We have seen a lot of listings in Westpark that are zoned for Culverdale. However, based on the test scores, Culverdale seems to be the "worst" elementary school in Irvine ("worst" being a relative term).

GreatSchools.net, which bases it's school ratings on California Standards Test scores, gives Culverdale only a 7 out of 10 rating, while the rest of the elementary schools in Irvine are rated either a 9 or a 10.

If anyone could provide some insight into this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Go to the student stats section for Great Schools. Culverdale shows a higher percentage of English Language Learners and low income students than other IUSD schools from what I can tell. Any significant differences in schools can usually be attributed to socioeconomic levels and percentage of English learners, it's not very mysterious. Could there be low income housing that is close to the school? I'm not sure but I would start by comparing the percentages of those groups to the other schools you are looking at.

If you live in the older area of Westpark (south of Barranca) you have the option of attending either Culverdale (traditional schedule) or Westpark Elem (year round schedule). We used to live over there and our daugther attended Westpark Elem for Kindergarten before we moved out to another school area. Westpark was a really solid school and we would have had no problem with her continuing if we had not moved. But you have to embrace the year-round schedule. The good news with either of these schools is they feed into University High (it was rezoned last year from Woodbridge). So that should help with long term home values.

As far as the *why* Culverdale is lower? I think (and I'm too last to look it up) that Culverdale has a specialized ESL program, and therefore a higher concentration of English learners.

[quote author="CK" date=1251178976]If you live in the older area of Westpark (south of Barranca) you have the option of attending either Culverdale (traditional schedule) or Westpark Elem (year round schedule). We used to live over there and our daugther attended Westpark Elem for Kindergarten before we moved out to another school area. Westpark was a really solid school and we would have had no problem with her continuing if we had not moved. But you have to embrace the year-round schedule. <strong>The good news with either of these schools is they feed into University High (it was rezoned last year from Woodbridge).</strong> So that should help with long term home values.

</blockquote>
I find this interesting as Woodbridge is closer to this area than Uni.

Does anyone know how does IUSD decide how Irvine neighborhoods are zoned?

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1251241857]

Does anyone know how does IUSD decide how Irvine neighborhoods are zoned?</blockquote>

I really have no idea and just talking out of my a$$ here, but if I had to guess it would probably have to do with keeping equitable student populations. My guess is the rezoning of Westpark I to Uni was part of a cascade effect from Woodbury. Woodbury is assigned to Irvine High, ramping up the future enrollment there big time. This forces the very large student population from Plaza Vista out of Irvine High over to Woodbridge --- which in turn drives up Woodbridge. Which drives WP I over to Uni. And then indirectly (or maybe directly) IUSD gives an aging and deteriorating WP I a fresh injection of desireability.

[quote author="CK" date=1251243278][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1251241857]

Does anyone know how does IUSD decide how Irvine neighborhoods are zoned?</blockquote>

I really have no idea and just talking out of my a$$ here, but if I had to guess it would probably have to do with keeping equitable student populations. My guess is the rezoning of Westpark I to Uni was part of a cascade effect from Woodbury. Woodbury is assigned to Irvine High, ramping up the future enrollment there big time. This forces the very large student population from Plaza Vista out of Irvine High over to Woodbridge --- which in turn drives up Woodbridge. Which drives WP I over to Uni. And then indirectly (or maybe directly) IUSD gives an aging and deteriorating WP I a fresh injection of desireability.</blockquote>

I'm more cynical. I tend to think school boundaries are always subject to gerrymandering, to protect the property values of those responsible for making the decision. :p

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1251244171]So Culverdale should be renamed to TurtleDale?</blockquote>

I like Culver Rock.

[quote author="CK" date=1251244410][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1251244171]So Culverdale should be renamed to TurtleDale?</blockquote>

I like Culver Rock.</blockquote>
And based on that... WestPark I should be renamed to WestRock.

Back