Who's buying?

Perspective said:
Yep, you'll never hear me worshiping any profession as "heroes." We're all doing jobs we chose. That's pretty much it.

When people put their life on the line in service of society I think that warrants some respect. Us as bankers, physicans, execs sitting in cushy offices are not the same as a street cop that may get shot just pulling someone over for a traffic ticket, a fire fighter that may get scorched in some house fire, a soldier out on the field. They chose to put their life on the line to serve society in the form of protection. Most of us would not put ourselves or our children in that position but we NEED people like that - their roles in society are extremely important and undervalued because it does not require as much education as professional fields. But just that high "risk" they are taking alone warrants a higher payscale in my opinion - I would demand that if I'm putting my life on the line every day to serve society. Wouldn't you?
We are so detached from that world it is sad. Just wait for the next September 11th because that day will come and sadly it takes "that" next terrorist attack to realize how important these professions are in society, how much we do need police officers, fire fighters, Marines, Army, Navy.  Who did we look to on 9/11, the Boston Bombings - it was the first responders. If we didn't have those people there so many more would have lost their lives.

Well let's not pretend like these guys are really that altruistic and choose to put their life on the line everyday to serve society in the form of protection. Like you said, these jobs don't require a lot of education and pay well so therefore are attractive to people who don't have many choices because education wasn't their thing. I'm not saying some cops/firefighters/military are not smart, in sure there a decent amount that are. But when they go to work every day it's just a job to make money for a lot of those guys.  They don't wake up and think "I'm going to go protect society because that's what I was born to do."  In sure there are some of those guys who do it for that reason but to out the spin on it that they are all like that is completely inaccurate.  A friend of mine was thinking about joining the CHP. Why? Because he didn't go to college and that was one of the few ways he could make pretty good money/benefits/retirement and not have to work until he was 70. He wasn't going to do it because he wanted to protect me and you, he was going to do it because he didn't have many options. And yes there are heros in all of their professions but not all of them are heros. A lot cops pare actually assholes.

qwerty said:
Well let's not pretend like these guys are really that altruistic and choose to put their life on the line everyday to serve society in the form of protection. Like you said, these jobs don't require a lot of education and pay well so therefore are attractive to people who don't have many choices because education wasn't their thing. I'm not saying some cops/firefighters/military are not smart, in sure there a decent amount that are. But when they go to work every day it's just a job to make money for a lot of those guys.  They don't wake up and think "I'm going to go protect society because that's what I was born to do."  In sure there are some of those guys who do it for that reason but to out the spin on it that they are all like that is completely inaccurate.  A friend of mine was thinking about joining the CHP. Why? Because he didn't go to college and that was one of the few ways he could make pretty good money/benefits/retirement and not have to work until he was 70. He wasn't going to do it because he wanted to protect me and you, he was going to do it because he didn't have many options. And yes there are heros in all of their professions but not all of them are heros. A lot cops pare actually assholes.

I agree on your points, esp the young guys that join the military often are from lower socioeconomic backgrounds and have very few options which is why they join. But I still think we should have some respect for what they do because like I said they risk their life in the line of duty (although some more than others) and we need those roles in society esp during those rare times of crisis. Someone has to do the job.

qwerty said:

Who's the real hero?  Paris's marine husband or the HOA security guard who "saved" her and the kids in the road rage incident?

WTTCHMN said:
qwerty said:

Who's the real hero?  Paris's marine husband or the HOA security guard who "saved" her and the kids in the road rage incident?

They're both heroes in my book and btw, you're sounding like a broken record. Time to move on from this incident that happened 2 years ago, it's getting stale

Paris said:
WTTCHMN said:
qwerty said:

They're both heroes in my book and btw, you're sounding like a broken record. Time to move on from this incident that happened 2 years ago, it's getting stale

Two years already?  Gee, it seems like less than a year ago:http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,12262.msg244447.html#msg244447

Your histrionic description will be forever engrained on TI, even if you delete it.

Paris said:
WTTCHMN said:
qwerty said:

When you first posted about it it was Sep 2014 and you indicated that the Po-lice were investigating the incident. So the incident happened around a year ago and not 2 years ago. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Also, why did you delete your posts?

Paris said:
Perspective said:
Yep, you'll never hear me worshiping any profession as "heroes." We're all doing jobs we chose. That's pretty much it.

When people put their life on the line in service of society I think that warrants some respect. Us as bankers, physicans, execs sitting in cushy offices are not the same as a street cop that may get shot just pulling someone over for a traffic ticket, a fire fighter that may get scorched in some house fire, a soldier out on the field. They chose to put their life on the line to serve society in the form of protection. Most of us would not put ourselves or our children in that position but we NEED people like that - their roles in society are extremely important and undervalued because it does not require as much education as professional fields. But just that high "risk" they are taking alone warrants a higher payscale in my opinion - I would demand that if I'm putting my life on the line every day to serve society. Wouldn't you?
We are so detached from that world it is sad. Just wait for the next September 11th because that day will come and sadly it takes "that" next terrorist attack to realize how important these professions are in society, how much we do need police officers, fire fighters, Marines, Army, Navy.  Who did we look to on 9/11, the Boston Bombings - it was the first responders. If we didn't have those people there so many more would have lost their lives.

Your comments sound like you're both: 1) a union rep for the fire department attempting to lionize the job and earn them ever higher compensation, and 2) a recruiter for the military industrial complex attempting to portray service as heroic in order to dupe more low socio-economic kids, vastly disproportionately non-white/Asian, into signing-up to become super heroes like Captain America.

Were I King of My Utopia, I'd redirect 33% of fire department budgets and 70% of the military industrial complex budget toward public school budgets, but that's just me...

I would thank the cops and firefighters for making Irvine one of the safest cities in America, thus keeping the land values high. They should get their fair cut for keeping our property values in-tack.

Perspective said:
Were I King of My Utopia, I'd redirect 33% of fire department budgets and 70% of the military industrial complex budget toward public school budgets, but that's just me...

At least then we could say that all the victims of the terrorist attacks we can't stop have very high IQ's :)

This all doesn't matter because if the Iran deal passes our future and kid's future in United States is at risk.

They sponsor terrorist activities the CIA and all intelligence agencies through out the world know this. To give Iran the capabilities for a nuke is outrages.

We already know Iraq is out of control. Soon to be Afghanistan from a news clip I watched. I'm sorry this Obama administration is not doing anything.

That unfortunate recruiting shooting that happened earlier this year is being linked to ISIS.
http://www.jihadwatch.org/2015/07/isis-tweets-chattanooga-as-gunman-begins-shooting-there-4-murdered

Angels_Baseball_2015 said:
I would thank the cops and firefighters for making Irvine one of the safest cities in America, thus keeping the land values high. They should get their fair cut for keeping our property values in-tack.

you have it backwards, the cops dont have anything to do with making irvine safe. its the high income residents/schools that drive the property value up and keep the riff-raff out as test likes to say.

Perspective said:

i dont know about firefighter budgets but i agree about the military. i have seen the bloated DOD budgets first hand and we spend way too much on military. as stated, redirect that to schools and we would have the smartest kids and best schools in the world. instead its just another form of public welfare.
http://comptroller.defense.gov/Port...y2015/fy2015_Budget_Request_Overview_Book.pdf

qwerty said:

you have it backwards, the cops dont have anything to do with making irvine safe. its the high income residents/schools that drive the property value up and keep the riff-raff out as test likes to say.

Yep. Although, this is sort of the issue with school spending. It's the parents' socio-economic levels and interest in education that results in high test scores of their children. Spending more on public schools is an effort to combat kids' lack of these types of parents, and it doesn't always work.

WTTCHMN said:

Must be nice to retire at age 52 with 90% of his salary, each year, for LIFE.  Not bad for a Berkeley grad.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/police-679833-chief-maggard.html
http://www.latimes.com/local/cityhall/la-me-sworn-injury-leave-20140928-story.html

qwerty said:
i have seen the bloated DOD budgets first hand and we spend way too much on military. as stated, redirect that to schools and we would have the smartest kids and best schools in the world. instead its just another form of public welfare.
It's not really the amount it's the efficiency.

Even if this were redirected to schools, it's still public/pseudo government so you'll see 20 cents for every dollar (if that).

That's why I'm for more control over taxes at the local/city level to reduce bureaucracy/red tape/bloat.

Back