Who are all these buyers?

CTNative

Married in 2006, my wife and I have been riding out the housing bubble, and the bursting, in an Irvine apartment rental.

We've been touring models since 2005 comparing price sheets collected from dozens and dozens of places over the past several years and it's always been interesting to watch the prices drop precipitously between the same price sheets collected a year or more apart. Price lists from La Casella in Woodbury have shown declines just between the price list we got this summer and the prices currently on the website.

There is one question that really stands out for me though. When I see the buying activity over the past summer, using Woodbury as just an example...who exactly are these buyers?

In 2007, the median household income for a family in Irvine was $111,000 a year, roughly (Wikipedia). I can't imagine three years of a poor economy have done much to improve that number. Assuming the classic 3X rule, plus the sunshine premium, shouldn't the median home price in Irvine be somewhere between $333,000 and $450,000, roughly? Heck, I'll go to $500,000. Yet I see dozens of sales in the $700K, $800K and $900K range.

The only way this is possible (now that the creative financing bubble is dead), is with large cash down payments or people making significantly more than the median income for Irvine. I don't think those making significantly more, which would have to be $200,000 a year+ would choose to live in Irvine, nice as it is. Even if I am wrong, it could only be a few people.

That leaves large cash down payments. The savings rate was negative for several years recently and the average family debt is still very high, so I think it's safe to say there can't be that many people with the $233K to $300K in cash that the average Irvine family would need to buy these homes. And by "need" I mean to make it affordable. I know an FHA loan requires very little down, but that would just make the monthly payment higher, so to make the monthly payment affordable, these families "need" to put down a lot of cash.

Also, keep in mind Irvine property tax, HOA dues, Association Fees (sometimes two of them per property), higher utility bills, homeowners insurance and maintenance costs. Factoring in all of these costs and the mortgage and interest...I would think no Irvine family making the average income would qualify with any bank. So this again would point towards large cash down-payments.

So my list of possible reasons homes are still selling is:

1. Banks Making Bad Loans
2. Move-Up Buyers
3. Asian buyers
4. Bubble Sellers
5. Foreign Investors

1. Is it possible that considering all of the costs I listed above, the average Irvine family can't actually afford the homes they are buying here, but the banks, through the government FHA, are enabling them to buy homes they can't afford, which will eventually become the foreclosures of the future?

2. I had a conversation with one of the sales people during a model home tour in Irvine. Their answer was that home owners who bought long before the bubble in areas like Newport Beach and Laguna Beach and had since paid off their house took out a loan against the property and used it as a very large cash down-payment on their Woodbury home. They then rented their first home out covering the mortgage on that property's loan. This would seem to work except for two problems...

A) Why would they want to move from Newport or Laguna to Irvine?
B) How many people that could do this, and would want to do this, could there really be? A handful of people maybe?

3. That most of the buyers are Asian. Pardon the stereotypes, but I want to float this anyway for feedback and I mean nothing negative by it, so bear with me. Most Asians are savers, at least more of them are than your typical American. Most Asians here in Irvine were not born here, but have since had children here. In other words, Asians in Orange County have not had enough generations born here to adopt the "spend every penny" mentality we have. Also, those who immigrate here from other countries (not just Asians) tend to be those who were wealthier to begin with in the country they came from. It takes a lot of money to come here, so those who do generally have the money, education and skills that allow them to afford the move and adapt to a new career here using their existing skills and education. They are also ambitious, as they are willing to leave the safety and comfort of the familiar and gamble on greater potential gains in a different country. The children of those that came here are brought up with the same values. This helps explain why Asians have higher FICO scores, qualify for mortgages more often, have higher incomes, etc... than your  average white person.

Over time, intermarriages and exposure to American culture in school, on TV, etc... will dilute this, but my guess is that not enough time has passed for that to happen yet. As a result, the parents either have a lot of cash to help their Asian children buy these homes and/or the children have saved most of their earnings and as such have their own large cash down-payments.

As a side note, I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but there was a subtle shift in the marketing emails and brochures. Years ago, the family pictures on the marketing materials were mostly white, with a black couple and an Asian couple thrown in. Then the black couple disappeared completely and it was just white and Asian. Now...it's either all Asian people/families or mostly Asian, at any rate. The website seems to be a general mix of everything, so I might be completely off...but that is what it seems. And I don't mean anything negative by this, all I am saying is you market to your audience, so if it is truly mostly Asian families buying, then that's what you put on the brochure.

Also, I was touring the new models in Woodbury East a few weeks ago, and I only saw one other white couple compared to a few dozen Asian families. In at least one of the models, all the family photos were of Asians.

Obviously all of this is pure subjective observation since I don't have enough facts to know if what I think is happening is true, or if it's just a causation fallacy. Which is why I am posting this topic for any feedback.

4. People who were smart enough (or just accidentally lucky enough) to sell their home at the top of the bubble, then rent and let prices decline, and are now jumping back in with large cash deposits they made from the gains in selling at the top of the bubble and then retained by renting. Again, that can't be many people...a handful at most.

5. Foreign investors. I don't think this is very many of the purchases but it's a possibility nonetheless.

I believe #3 is the bulk of the buying, but I look forward to any feedback on any of these possibilities or something new I haven't considered.

I wonder if it is popular in the Asian community for families to loan/give money to relatives for their large downpayments?  If this was done "under the table" then it would enable Irvine home purchases at current levels.  Also many in Irvine are move up buyers who have owned for years somewhere else but now want the schools.  Also note the strong Asian preference for Irvine schools.  Not sure if this will continue given recent cuts in the Irvine school district.  Again, don't want to stereotype based on my limited knowledge, but i have several Asian friends who bought in Irvine in the last  5 years, only to recently send their kids to private schools or move to a different school district........

You don't have to be Asian to know how to be smart with your money, budget, and save. If you have your heart set in buying in Irvine, you have to start somewhere. There are no "perfect" houses -- there are pros and cons to every location. You can find 2/2 or even 3/2 townhomes, paired homes, attached duplexes, etc in the 350k-500k range in the Irvine area. Of course, they get snapped up rather quickly.

Wait, aren't your #3 and #5 saying the same thing in a different way?    The way you describe Asians are how Jews used to be stereotyped 40 years ago.  "they're so ambitious,... gamblers"  The MAJORITY of Asians are like the MAJORITY of whites in OC.  Those who can afford nice homes in Irvine are the minority in all races.  Asians don't necessarily have better FICO scores, income, etc... There are plenty of those living in Garden Grove, Westminster, Fo Valley, Tustin, etc that are Asians who don't fit your stereotype.  Those buying in Irvine in general need to have better credit and more money than your average OC resident and I don't see a pattern based on race.

I'm an Asian American professional, born and raised here and am looking to buy in Irvine.  I did sell at the peak, save my money and make well over the median.  I don't think it's an Asian thing as many of my "white" co-workers also make as much as I do and are pretty much in the same boat.

The homes that are still selling are those that are priced aggressively and buyers with money (not Newport money, but Irvine money) would rather buy in Irvine than anywhere else in the OC not named NB or LB.  Last time I checked, things really haven't been selling though.  I know that the releases in Portola and Woodbury have been very soft, regardless of what their realtors are trained to say.  Where's Orchard Hills or Laguna Crossing or even Casero north and Las Colinas west?  Too soft to release. 

I bought a house in Irvine recently and just moved in. My neighbours are 4 Chinese, 2 Taiwanese, 1 Korean and 1 Indian families. They all moved in last month. Most of them have double incomes which might be between 150K and 200K annually (I guess). Looks like none of them speaks English at home. It should not be difficult for families with double incomes to save 100K-120K down payment in 2-4 years. i heard that 80% of the Woodbury east residents are Asians and now I believe it is true.

bluemove said:
I wonder if it is popular in the Asian community for families to loan/give money to relatives for their large downpayments?  If this was done "under the table" then it would enable Irvine home purchases at current levels.

It is a common practice.

TIC attracted a lot of buyers to Irvine this year simply because (1) they were offering new homes priced about or just below resale comps and (2) there were a lot of buyers that jumped in from the sidelines, Asians and all. I suspect that many of the Asian buyers went for real estate in Irvine because of the location of course, but I also think they might have thought it was a better place to park their cash than in the banks or other investments.

iphb said:
I suspect that many of the Asian buyers went for real estate in Irvine because of the location of course, but I also think they might have thought it was a better place to park their cash than in the banks or other investments.
So it's just location for Irvine?

C'mon... OCReader/IHB doesn't think Irvine is special.  :p

iphb said:
TIC attracted a lot of buyers to Irvine this year simply because (1) they were offering new homes priced about or just below resale comps and (2) there were a lot of buyers that jumped in from the sidelines, Asians and all. I suspect that many of the Asian buyers went for real estate in Irvine because of the location of course, but I also think they might have thought it was a better place to park their cash than in the banks or other investments.
What about the schools???

akula1488 said:
bluemove said:
I wonder if it is popular in the Asian community for families to loan/give money to relatives for their large downpayments?  If this was done "under the table" then it would enable Irvine home purchases at current levels.

It is a common practice.

Yup, happens all the time. I know an asian medical professional who claims "$90,000" in salary but was able to purchase a $630,000 home based on a $300,000 "down payment loan" from the parents/sister.

The I-R-V said:
Wait, aren't your #3 and #5 saying the same thing in a different way?    The way you describe Asians are how Jews used to be stereotyped 40 years ago.  "they're so ambitious,... gamblers"  The MAJORITY of Asians are like the MAJORITY of whites in OC.  Those who can afford nice homes in Irvine are the minority in all races.  Asians don't necessarily have better FICO scores, income, etc... There are plenty of those living in Garden Grove, Westminster, Fo Valley, Tustin, etc that are Asians who don't fit your stereotype.  Those buying in Irvine in general need to have better credit and more money than your average OC resident and I don't see a pattern based on race.

I'm an Asian American professional, born and raised here and am looking to buy in Irvine.  I did sell at the peak, save my money and make well over the median.  I don't think it's an Asian thing as many of my "white" co-workers also make as much as I do and are pretty much in the same boat.

The homes that are still selling are those that are priced aggressively and buyers with money (not Newport money, but Irvine money) would rather buy in Irvine than anywhere else in the OC not named NB or LB.  Last time I checked, things really haven't been selling though.  I know that the releases in Portola and Woodbury have been very soft, regardless of what their realtors are trained to say.  Where's Orchard Hills or Laguna Crossing or even Casero north and Las Colinas west?  Too soft to release.

Thanks for pointing this out. There are definitely parallels between how Jews were perceived back in the day and how Asians are perceived now...as smart, good with money, rich, educated, etc. The "model minority" myth and all that. It sounds like it's a compliment, but it can certainly build resentment when a certain group is perceived as having more than mainstream Americans. And as I think you are suggesting, it's important not to stereotype too much based on race or ethnicity.

It's easy to say that "foreign" Asians are drawn to Irvine, and they are buying those expensive Woodbury houses, and they have some kind of secret, exotic, foreign way of making money. That's why the "FCB" talk bothers me so much. Because Asian buyers are not necessarily foreign; lots of them are American, and yes, some Asians do get money from relatives for huge downpayments, but the rest of them get their money the way everyone else does. Most Asians I know are educated and make a good living, but they don't seem to have any kind of special talent for saving or money management.

CTNative, I used to wonder this all the time before I bought a house...who ARE these rich people who buy in Irvine? It used to frustrate me, but now I don't really care. My advice to anyone who is annoyed by Irvine's stubborn prices would be to check out some other local cities where you can get more house for less money. Irvine is a nice place to live, but it's not the only nice place to live in OC. Just for me personally, there are a handful of other cities I would consider: Laguna Niguel, Aliso Viejo, Huntington Beach, Mission Viejo, or Coto de Caza/RSM (unless you have your heart set on Irvine).

Just to clarify a few of my points...

The difference I am drawing between #3 and #5 is that #5 are Asians who reside in Asia, buying cash flow investment property here in Irvine versus #3, which are Asians living here in Orange County who are planning to make this home their primary residence. I think #5 is nil.

As far as the Jewish comparison that both you and The I-R-V are discussing, I'd like to point out a few things. I'm not Jewish, but as far as I understand the stereotype, Jewish people have all the money, control all the banks, yada yada. To this I can only say from what I have studied, history has shown that many citizens of many countries over thousands of years have turned against various immigrant groups living among them, the Jewish being just one of many, particularly if those immigrated groups are more successful than the indigenous population.

What is often overlooked is why this has been proven true so often. Not every country can have citizens that excel at everything. As a result, those of a particular nationality/religious group/ethnicity that have learned a particularly valuable skill or trade or posses unique knowledge or craftsmanship can take that skill to another country where it does not exist, or not at their levels of expertise, and penetrate that new market. Of course, they often corner that market as they are the only "group" of whatever label anyone wants to slap on them that have that skill or knowledge of what they are selling...and probably getting wealthy on.  It then becomes politically popular by the local politicians to turn the natives against the immigrants to secure votes by blaming the immigrants for a litany of ills that plague whatever nation we're talking about. I believe Jewish immigrants are part of this story, and have often excelled in particular industries, diamonds and commerce among them that have not only provided them with great sums of wealth, but the ire of many who want someone to pin their pains on and the attention of politicians looking for scapegoats to sacrifice on the alter of election day.

As a side story, if you look at the founders of many breweries around the world, Mexico as just one example, you will often find the original brew master was German, as that is the skill they took with them to penetrate new markets. Seeing that German brew masters didn't make as much wealth as perhaps a Jewish banker did, I doubt they attracted much attention. The economist Thomas Sowell has pointed this out with the Lebanese in West Africa and the Indians and Pakistanis in East Africa, among others. When Spain expelled the Moorish Christians, a Spanish cleric asked, "Who will make our shoes now?"

So, if it is being suggested here that I am drawing a parallel between the Jewish stereotype and Asians in Orange County, I would only accept that to the extent that I believe recently immigrated Asians in Orange County, of only the first or second generation, have a "higher likelihood" than your average multi-generational American (of any race, including Asian) to be savers, and have saved. For example, if we rounded up all the middle-class workers in Orange County, and split them into a group that had more than $50,000 in the bank and a group that had less, I would say the first group would be 51% Asian and the second group would be 25% Asian, 25% White, 25% C and 25% D. In other words, I am not saying that most middle-class Asians in the OC are savers, I am saying that most middle-class savers in the OC are Asian. There is a difference.

Insomuch as my specific stereotype of Asians is more likely true than not, I think Asians should embrace it and we should all hope to be ?resented? for the same reason. Isn?t saving what we teach our kids? Isn?t that how Americans used to buy things? Isn?t debt what destroyed the individual, the states and the nation?

We?ve been conditioned to take blame for all of our negative stereotypes that are associated with each of us; white, black, Asian, Latino?but we?ve also been conditioned to be repentant, ashamed and embarrassed of the positive stereotypes. If the Germans were the best brew masters in Mexico, the Moorish Christians the best cobblers in Spain, the Jewish the best bankers in Europe, and the newly arrived middle-class Asians in Orange County the best savers, I think we should be ?O.K.? with that.

Well, I guess I disagree with the argument that we should embrace positive stereotypes,not just because I think it is wrong to stereotype, but also because it's fairly easy to turn any stereotype into something negative. To take the Jewish example, Jews are the best bankers becomes Jews are greedy becomes Jews control the markets becomes Jews have too much influence in the country. You get the idea. (All this because Christians were forbidden from lending money for a fee - and apparently they didn't want to do it for free - leaving this particular job to Jews.) it's a slippery slope.

traceimage said:
Well, I guess I disagree with the argument that we should embrace positive stereotypes,not just because I think it is wrong to stereotype, but also because it's fairly easy to turn any stereotype into something negative. To take the Jewish example, Jews are the best bankers becomes Jews are greedy becomes Jews control the markets becomes Jews have too much influence in the country. You get the idea. (All this because Christians were forbidden from lending money for a fee - and apparently they didn't want to do it for free - leaving this particular job to Jews.) it's a slippery slope.

Well, we've chosen to attribute the positive attributes (and negative) of a particular culture/ethnicity/religion to the word "stereotype" which we then demonize (as a word). To me, it was a great political move. Take something positive that a group of people is known for, relabel it as a "stereotype," and then demonize it. Stereotyping is not wrong, but making decisions about someone based on a stereotype or judging a person based on a stereotype is wrong. Why can't we just accept the difference?

We all know what the stereotypes are, but have to be disciplined enough to apply them in a positive way. Stereotypes are not something we are taught so much as they are something we have vaguely heard about and then observe through experience or exposure to be more likely true than not. What I am often accused of is that I am unwilling to accept that most people are not disciplined enough to do this, so I must lower my bar and just agree that the entire concept of stereotypes needs to be considered bad. I don't want to do that. I think if people think about it, they can get what I am saying.

You know, if we want to talk about the best car engineering we look to the Germans, if we want the best flood control engineering, we look to the Dutch, the best electronics to the Japanese, and on and on. The largest structure in Abu-Dhabi was headed by some guy with a think British accent. Whenever I watch the History channel and someone is digging an obnoxiously large tunnel to something, I see some eastern European name as the head of the project directing a huge drill only made in some other European country. We can all agree that these specialties are true, but then someone will come along and toss all these facts into the "stereotype" bucket and we are admonished for being so mean as to think such things.

I think the word "stereotype" is a word someone came up with to keep us from thinking for ourselves, and thinking more like they want us to. The slippery slope you are talking about, is when we surrender our common sense and cease to think for ourselves and accept the way someone else wants us to think. Stereotypes are useful, if they are not abused, and the responsibility to not abuse them relies on each individuals discipline.

If I am at fault, it is for having too much faith in the individual, not my opinion about stereotypes.

The I-R-V said:
"...Asians don't necessarily have better FICO scores, income, etc... There are plenty of those living in Garden Grove, Westminster, Fo Valley, Tustin, etc that are Asians who don't fit your stereotype.  Those buying in Irvine in general need to have better credit and more money than your average OC resident and I don't see a pattern based on race."

Asians do in fact have higher FICO scores and are more likely to qualify for a mortgage loan than whites, blacks or Latinos. Again, not saying this is a bad thing; it just is what it is. We don't hear about it in the media much because it has no political value. Asian-Americans are too small a group in the U.S. to be used yet as political pawns in class warfare elections. I'm sure that will change at some point. Right now it's more popular to keep the black-white thing going.

From Thomas Sowell, "What Constitutes Discrimination", July 8, 2009:

"The same notion ? and the same confusion ? applies in many other situations. If a higher proportion of blacks than whites get turned down for mortgage loans, then that too can be taken as evidence of racial discrimination.

It doesn?t matter if blacks and whites are different on innumerable factors that go into mortgage loan decisions, as are Hispanics or Asian Americans as well.

All these groups have different credit scores, different incomes, and many other differences. Why is it surprising that they have different loan-approval rates? While the issue is often posed in terms of whites versus non-whites, whites also get turned down for mortgage loans more often than Asian Americans, who usually have higher credit scores."

On a different subject, I know I cited $111,000 as the income for Irvine households specifically, but the income for Orange County households is only $74,862 (U.S. Census Bureau-2008). So where a house is supposed to cost 3X gross income, for your typical Orange County household a $600K house is 8X their income. Just seems so hard to believe that there are enough $200K+ earners in a county where the median household income is only $74K that all want to live in Irvine. It would seem like they are ALL moving to Irvine.

Please also see my response (Reply #11) to "traceimage" above as it addresses some of your other comments...

The I-R-V said:
"they're so ambitious,... gamblers"

I did say the specific class of Asians I was describing are ambitious, but I did not say gamblers.

I know it takes a lot for someone from another country to come here. It's not cheap, for one. It's a completely different language and culture, for another. In my mind, I see it like this:

Let's assume 1,000 Asians (or ANY country) want to come to the United States. Of the 1,000, only 100 actually pull the trigger and make it happen. That means 10% of them were ambitious enough to take advantage of an opportunity. They left their family, their culture, their neighborhood, their language...and came here. That takes guts. Not everyone has that kinda guts. So that means those 100 people are the kind that had the assets, the financial ability and the sheer resolve to rip up their roots and move. The other 900 did not have one or more of those things.

Now repeat, the next 100...and the next...and the next...all traveling to where the opportunity is. The result is that places where opportunity exist, like Orange County, receive the first 100, and the next and the next...and know nothing of the 900's left behind. In other words, Orange County (and other areas of opportunity) act as a concentrator which collects all of those who had everything needed to leave their homeland; the assets, the financial stability and the sheer resolve. So whereas those who left were only 10% of the local population in their homeland, they could make up 100% of the Orange County population of their ethnicity.

Obviously not 100%, but you get what I mean. OC is a concentrator for talent, just like the top Fortune 100 companies are, just like the best neighborhoods are. It's the same concept, but scalable to many different levels.

Correction: I apologize, I did use the word gambler when saying, "They are also ambitious, as they are willing to leave the safety and comfort of the familiar and gamble on greater potential gains in a different country." To clarify, I meant that not in the Las Vegas, "I need gamblers anonymous" sense but rather as the "I want better for my family and am willing to take a risk" sense. The first sense is a vice, the second, I think, is admirable.

CTNative said:
The I-R-V said:
"...Asians don't necessarily have better FICO scores, income, etc... There are plenty of those living in Garden Grove, Westminster, Fo Valley, Tustin, etc that are Asians who don't fit your stereotype.  Those buying in Irvine in general need to have better credit and more money than your average OC resident and I don't see a pattern based on race."

Asians do in fact have higher FICO scores and are more likely to qualify for a mortgage loan than whites, blacks or Latinos. Again, not saying this is a bad thing; it just is what it is. We don't hear about it in the media much because it has no political value. Asian-Americans are too small a group in the U.S. to be used yet as political pawns in class warfare elections. I'm sure that will change at some point. Right now it's more popular to keep the black-white thing going.

"The same notion ? and the same confusion ? applies in many other situations. If a higher proportion of blacks than whites get turned down for mortgage loans, then that too can be taken as evidence of racial discrimination.

It doesn?t matter if blacks and whites are different on innumerable factors that go into mortgage loan decisions, as are Hispanics or Asian Americans as well.

All these groups have different credit scores, different incomes, and many other differences. Why is it surprising that they have different loan-approval rates? While the issue is often posed in terms of whites versus non-whites, whites also get turned down for mortgage loans more often than Asian Americans, who usually have higher credit scores."

On a different subject, I know I cited $111,000 as the income for Irvine households specifically, but the income for Orange County households is only $74,862 (U.S. Census Bureau-2008). So where a house is supposed to cost 3X gross income, for your typical Orange County household a $600K house is 8X their income. Just seems so hard to believe that there are enough $200K+ earners in a county where the median household income is only $74K that all want to live in Irvine. It would seem like they are ALL moving to Irvine.

Please also see my response (Reply #11) to "traceimage" above as it addresses some of your other comments...
You miss one very important point, the majority of housing in Irvine are condos (which have lower sales prices). 

I have never been convinced of the notion that a median income is "supposed" to be able to afford a median-priced house.  What does an area's median income tell you about the small group of true prospective buyers?  Probably not much. 

USC what was your point. were you saying that the prices in irvine are even more unbelievable because
they are so much more than median income calculation despite being condo's!!!.

USCTrojanCPA said:
CTNative said:
The I-R-V said:

You miss one very important point, the majority of housing in Irvine are condos (which have lower sales prices). 

While median income of a city can be a general indicator of appropriate prices... it's not an accurate one to me for a few reasons:

1. Validity of reported income:
The numbers are based on census data, I think income tax data is more accurate (and even then, not completely accurate). And how many people are going to tell a census taker their true income?

2. Loan not price:
We should be looking at amount of loan values to income... since the price of the house has less to do with what a household can afford than the actual amount being mortgaged. If a household makes $200k and they buy a $1mil house with a $400k loan, that's only 2x as opposed to 4x. Not to mention all those 100% cash down transactions in Irvine! ;)

But... I do think prices are still high in Irvine and while our income is probably higher than the median, it's lower than many people I know who are buying here.

Back